|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> I think we are done

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Effy

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/17 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I decided over the weekend to sell our MH and exit the Rv world. We've considered this in the past year and frankly I thought I would be more upset about it. But I am not. I'm pretty over it actually. I really loved Rv'ing and then something changed. Nothing major, just continued little problems that a 4 year old RV should not have. The depreciation has me scratching my head why I made such a poor financial move in the first place, but we created a lot of memories and I knew that going in. We live at the beach now which is where most of our RV trips used to take us. I used to be able to keep it in my driveway and now with an HOA I have to pay for storage a few miles away. We used to take at least monthly trips, now they are further apart. And the prepping, loading, packing for a trip and the undoing of it all afterwards have grown laborious and frankly rather stressful. Anymore the whole process feels like work and a financial strain and I can't ignore how much money I am throwing at it monthly and not using it as often as we should. Minor issues cost a ton of money even if you are handy. I am sure some part of me will be sad when it's gone but the MH has started to feel more of a burden than the keys to freedom it used to. I am looking for a freedom now of this thing I have to pay for, take care of, store, load, clean, maintenance, and all out worry about the next little thing. Our son wasn't happy when we told him but he gets it. It tells me we created memories that he enjoyed although he got all the upside and none of the headaches that come along. That really was most of our intent. We have a few more trips planned until it sells, and will continue to use it until it does, but when it goes I think we'll be happier for it.

2013 ACE 29.2

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/17 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to see you're hanging up the keys, Effy, but we all have to do what works best for our own situations. My wife and I faced a similar decision some years back after unloading the motorhome once again after a short trip. We decided to go the other way though, and now keep nearly everything in the motorhome year round, and continue to live in it most of the time, even when we're at our lakeside cottage in upstate NY. We're both in our mid-70's and have no idea now when we'll hang u the keys. We have found we enjoy staying longer at many parks though, and cutting down on the travel time in between them. Interferes with our afternoon naps... [emoticon]

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/17 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A wise decision. When things cease to be fun, it is time to move on.
I felt the same way when I sold my Classic Cars, my airplanes, my childhood home after my parents passed, and my previous boats.
There is a time to move on and getting rid of that which is causing you any kind of stress is important. Congrats on making a tough decision but in the long run it will prove to be the right decision.
Enjoy yourself with your new adventures.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/17 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all have to make that decision for a variety of reasons sooner or later. For us it is pirely financial. We just dont have the money to travel like I want and stoll maintain a house. We have always been lucky and kept out RVs at home, so prepping has never been an issue. Good luck in the future.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie the Bear
The Other Dallas

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/17 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy, sorry to hear that you are giving up RVing but I understand. When something is not fun anymore, it seems to a nagging problem.

I just sold my antique car about 3 weeks ago after having it for 18.5 yrs. I enjoyed it thoroughly but it was time. It's a relief to not worry about it anymore because like anything mechanical, it always needed something. And, because it was an old English car, parts were getting harder to find.

Good luck and enjoy your new 'stick and brick' adventure!

MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach Elegant Lady, 4 slides, 1.5 baths, 500 hp Volvo
2017 Lincoln MKX Twin-Turbocharged 2.7 V6 AWD, 335 hp

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/17 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you have no regrets, then it was definitely the right decision. The great memories don't die just because the source of them no longer fits in your life.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

Vulcanmars

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/17 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

A wise decision. When things cease to be fun, it is time to move on.

I completely agree with that statement. I'm about to part ways with my boat for the same reason. I don't even have any mechanical issues. The trip prep, clean up and storage is just becoming too much work.

Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/17 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were in our early thirties when we moved into our current neighborhood. Several neighbors had RVs; these were folks in their 60's and 70's. Within a few years each of the neighbors had gotten rid of their RV. One neighbor said they had decided to spend more time around home. I guessed most of them had the RV when their kids were still living at home and now the kids were gone.

Now that we are creeping past 65 I'm beginning to realize why our neighbors may have sold off their RVs... It's a lot of work which wasn't so bad when we were younger but now that our joints ache and pit stops are more frequent RVing is losing the appeal it once had for us.

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/17 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just sold my antique car about 3 weeks ago after having it for 18.5 yrs

And I am still crying about it...

But with my present coach we will go at least 10 more years and see where it all takes us...I've met many friends with this hobby and despite the money...I'm blessed to be able to make it all work...I've had at least 5 people I know pass away suddenly and they all waited to do the things they wanted...So I'm making it work right now..but I do get it...I was into antique Jag's for years in the late 80's and I finally walked away from it because the parts were nuts and despite the fun...they were just too fragile...

Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Shiloh)
2007 Saturn Vue (TOAD)

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/17 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it becomes a hassle or the costs don't outweigh the benefits then it's time to take a hard look at what to do next.

We were in the same situation a few years back; our 2-4 monthly trips were becoming more like a trip every 2-4 months. The kids had grown and were off to college and time wasn't what it once was.

I bought a TT for a project and to use on a hunting trip. After I got home we started thinking, why keep the MH? One trip I had to pull the TT to the campground then drive home and get the MH. I hadn't gone 10 miles when I knew keeping the MH was the right decision - for now. It's paid for and we are trying to adjust our schedules so we can get back to using it like we should.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> I think we are done
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS