RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What can you tell me about my converter/charger?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What can you tell me about my converter/charger?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ib516

Way up north eh

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/17 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My gal has got herself a 2010 Jayco x17z hybrid RV. From what I could find, it comes with an IOTA 45 amp converter/charger. We will be doing some dry camping and running the generator (2000w inverter style) for a short period of time during the day to recharge the battery.

The battery that was on the RV had a broken case (I think maybe it froze and split) so I am replacing it with a Group 31 to get the most aH out of a single battery.

What I'd like to know is what is the charging like from a 45 amp IOTA converter charger from 2010? Is it based on time? Does it sense voltage of the battery and adjust the charge accordingly? I went to the IOTA website, but all they have is info on their current products, and I don't know how much they have changed (if at all). What I want to avoid is an undercharged or overcharged (boiled) battery.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 360 Gas 4.10 Auto
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55 Auto
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73 Auto
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10 Auto
All above are sold
Current: 2006 Pontiac Torrent and a 2010 Jayco 17z

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/17 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look for a phone type jack socket. If it has one, you can plug in the jack that comes with that IOTA to make it go to a higher charging voltage (but still in the low 14s) To go back to 13.6, remove the jack. Or you can get the IQ4 to plug in there, which makes it a typical three-stage converter. (Recommended)

Without the jack, it is just a single stage 13.6v converter and will be very slow to do a recharge (which is not good when using a generator)

Some Jayco RVs with IOTAs back when, did not have the jack at all and were straight 13.6v.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er,
1981 Frontier 11ft Truck Camper
See Profile for Equipment Lists

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/17 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phone jack? Get the IQ controller. Excellent converter.

No phone jack as many OEM's are? [emoticon] just a 13.6v fixed power supply. Actually I have read where these can be modified to add the jack. Need to contact IOTA and have some electronics skill.

[image]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/17 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the set voltage is 14.4
You are unlikely to boil the battery
Recharge time will depend on how much power you use
When the generator is off
One of the $30 eBay amp meters is a good idea, to install to monitor the recharge amps

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/17 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter what is said...

No matter what is read...

The end result is not predictable. To do whatever it takes to get charging voltage as high as is limited, is to do all that you can.

Go camping.

Note deficiencies. Return then deal with your style of camping.

Do this. Buy a GOOD hand held digital multi meter and take it along. As things happen, takes notes. Voltage readings. Forget everything else except generator run time.

You leave with a full battery.

You rise and shine the first boondock morning. What is the battery voltage? Write it down.

You run the generator for whatever time you think is best then shut it off. What is the battery voltage at point of generator shutdown?

Resume camping.

An hour later take another battery voltage reading. Write it down.

The next morning, take another voltage reading after breakfast.

If the battery gets too discharged, you'll be the first to know. You will be starting the generator to recharge. Note the voltage and the total run time to do your best guess to recharge.

Return home with all the notes. Post them. They are vital meaning indispensable clues. They reveal exactly any weak points in system design and configuration (and generator operation).

I refer to this as basis system status. From this point you can plan and build. Or not.

ib516

Way up north eh

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/17 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have some concern because I know that the RV forced air furnace takes ~11 to 13 amps to run, and I imagine when camping in a HTT in the Canadian Rockies, where it can get to the single digit temps (Celcius) or into the 30s F, the furnace will run quite a bit. I'll check for the phone jack hole on it, and if it has that I will buy the gizmo that allows for better charging.

Other than that, I will take along my multi-meter and take a few readings. In my previous RVs, I could usually tell the condition of the battery when I woke up and heard the speed of the furnace fan LOL.

ib516

Way up north eh

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/17 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, and I'm also swapping all the bulbs to LEDs with a 20 pack from Amazon.

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/17 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, don't forget your generator is also going to be down on power dependent on what altitude you are at when you're in the Canadian Rockies. This will negatively impact the time required for the gen to be on charging your batteries. So any guessing by those at sea level will be quite off.

I love me some land yachting

rjxj

Over there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/17 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In those temps you may not make it through the night. If you are noticing things like fan speed dropping off you may be running the battery too low. Many people will recharge and stay above 12 volts or so. Although it's a 12 volt battery your operating voltage range is about 12 to 12.6 or 12.7. When it goes into float it will be about 13.2. You may do well by using a hydrometer to verify your battery condition until you get the hang of things. An hydrometer is the final word.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/17 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First the IOTA with IQ-4 is a top tier converter.. The only one better, and this is ONLY if you know how to take advantage of it is the Progressive Dyanmics with dongle.. And as I said that is ONLY if you know how to use the dongle.

A single Group 31 is about 130 AH at the C/20 rate. proper maximum charge is thus about 40 amnps (39 to be precise) so your 45 Amp is ideal

A better battery choice if you can fit them.. BIG IF THERE, is a pair of GC-2 Golf car batteries in sereies 220 AH at 12 volt (C20 rate) give or take a bit.

But right now you are as good as it gets with a single easily installed battery.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What can you tell me about my converter/charger?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS