|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> F150 and towing advice to pass on

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dthfsa

Lebanon, OH

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/17 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a new Laredo 331Bh last year. After many calculations, hitch adjustments and changing tires we finally concluded that we needed to go to a heavier tow vehicle. We upgraded this week to a 2016 F250 6.2l crew cab w/ 3.73 reared. Can't wait to test it out with the trailer behind it. Hopes it ends up being more of a relaxing drive, or as close to relaxing as pulling a TT can be.
Now I loved the F150 with 3.5L EB. That motor has a ton of power, but the trailer was just too much for that truck. After dealing with 30 mph winds this past weekend there was no choice but to downsize the trailer or upgrade the truck.
Bottom line is if anyone is looking at a larger camper and pulling it with an F150, my advice is stay well under the published tow ratings. In my case max tow was 11,200 lbs. I scaled my unit and was around 2000 lbs. combined under capacity with the trailer, the truck could pull it all day long, but with a large box behind you and any type of side force wind it was a hold on type of drive.
In case you are wondering, I use a Blue OX WD with 1500 lbs. bars.
Just some advice and lessons learned to pass on.
Enjoy your summer and safe travels to all.

2016 Keystone
Laredo 331BH
2016 F250 6.2L SD Crewcab

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/17 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, 8100lb and a 1500lb CCC is definitely 3/4 ton territory. Not to mention its a total of 38feet long! What you will have to watch is maxing out the GVWR. I would switch out the tires for LR "E" on the trailer.

Wife Kim ">
Son Brandon 13yrs">
Daughter Marissa 12yrs">
Dog Bailey ">

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!">

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/17 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same experience with a 2011 35' Outback. It towed great with no wind and even better with a tail wind. Head or side wind was a different story.

I moved to a 32' FW and never looked back. The difference is night and day.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/17 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Classic example of choosing the wrong F150 platform for towing a 8k-9k lb TT. Wheelbase and the wrong/improper setup hitch platform can lead to a white knuckle experience for some. I'm not picking on the OP but we see this almost weekly where some new guy bought into Fords F150 max tow platforms. Max tow isn't the max. Max tow can be up to a F150 with 7000-7500 gvwr and small 4050 rwar/P tires.

The F150HD with its 7850-8200 gvwr and 4800 rawr crew cab E tires and wheels can weigh over 6000 lbs which is 1500 lbs heavier than some year model 3/4 ton truck small block gasser. This platform is much better for towing 9k-11k TT's and smaller 5th wheel trailers.

The OPs F250 6.2 package will serve him well.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/17 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Classic example of choosing the wrong F150 platform for towing a 8k-9k lb TT.

There are SO MANY options on the F150, it is easy to make this mistake.

IMHO, if you are towing over 8,000 lbs, just get the F250 !

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/17 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been towing on the margin since buying my TT/TV combo in '07. I've put quite a few miles on since then, and while my rig has been competent, I have had my share of bumps along the way. Namely, lack of power. Handling, braking, stability are all very good with this truck. No complaints there. Yes, more payload would be nice, as I regularly use up my GCWR of 15,300, but with only a 4 spd, getting a space at the end of entrance ramps, and climbing steep hills in traffic are still my only complaints. At the time of purchase, a heavier F-250 platform with the same engine would not have bought me anything more in acceleration for a higher sticker price. The newer versions of the 150 with 6spd and more power would probably handle my trailer better, but the same payload package would still be needed for tongue weight. I'll be upgrading in a year or so, and you can bet it will be a 250/350 with the biggest gas engine they make. Been a very interesting and educational 10 years!

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/17 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess that's why I tow a little trailer with my F150.. [emoticon]

Too much emphasis on this whole "tow rating" deal when newb's are looking at TT's and then they go by the "dry weight" of the TT and think it's all good... Well, they might get some 'bad' advice from the sales person.. But, that's another issue..

Anyway, good post OP and hope some newb's can take some real world experience to heart..

Good luck with the new rig!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

fireman41

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/17 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A poorly set up trailer will sway and tow just as bad behind a F250 as it will behind a F150.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/17 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fireman41 wrote:

A poorly set up trailer will sway and tow just as bad behind a F250 as it will behind a F150.

True to a point. An F-250 will make up for some of the shortcomings.
Things will not need to be fined tuned quite as much.
In the end the heavier ,beefier truck will always provide more control vs. the lighter,smaller truck.
Conversely the lighter truck will always ride a little softer and use a bit less fuel when not towing.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/17 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No argument here. My E-boost F-150 does a great job with our 25ft TT.

However, our loaded for the road 6200 lb TT with 750 lbs on the tongue uses amount half of our max cargo.

Anything larger and I would go with an F-250.

I do like the Blue Ox hitch, we have towed in a lot of wind across OK and TX with no problems.

Half tons are fine TV's but folks often underestimate their total load, especially when looking at dry weights.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> F150 and towing advice to pass on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS