|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My opinion on slideouts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/17 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading year after year of all the problems with slideouts, I have come to the conclusion that they are one big gamble!

Any one else think the same ?

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/17 03:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, not at all. They open up the camper so much more that I would never have one without slideouts.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/17 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No gamble at all. I would not want an RV without slideouts.
Currently I have 5 slides.

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/17 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

No, not at all. They open up the camper so much more that I would never have one without slideouts.

I agree 100 Percent and I question the OPs belief that there are so many reports of problems.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/17 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had several rv types with slides and have never had an issue. We have three slides on our current trailer.

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

nohurry

Orting, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/17 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love em. Makes an RV so much more livable!! Never had an issue with ours.

Carl
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel
2011 Jayco 256RKS

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/17 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't seen so many posts that would indicate they are a gamble. maybe 1 or 2 a year and those are usually just complaints about them not sitting flush. I would never buy one without a slide.

Wife Kim ">
Son Brandon 13yrs">
Daughter Marissa 12yrs">
Dog Bailey ">

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!">

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/17 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People that have slide outs feel the need to have them regardless.
They feel, all things have the potential to break or malfunction.
It's personal choice. People that feel the need to have more room, have slides.
There are owners who never have slide out issues but the potential is there and I can only describe what the negatives can be.

They add weight.
An average slide is about 500-700# and it's non-usable weight. Some larger slides are 1200-1600#. That's another problem in designing the coach. All that weight is on one side which builders compensate by adding additional slides to the opposite side.
***be careful with slides with kitchen, they have to build them with flexible lines which are often problematic.
To offset the slide out weight on one side of the rv, they then add more slides to the opposite side. Now you have 2,3 or 4 of NOT the most reliable 12v motors, seals and rails to deal with. As you add more slides, it's simply common sense that your chances increase to have problems.
All this adds up to weight and it cuts into the gross weight rating on the coach.

The RV industry, has to keep things as light as possible in order to sell them to potential buyers who tow with daily driver vehicles . (multi use vehicles, like suv's and 1500 trucks) Its difficult to add the weight of a large slide then beef up the axles, tires, wheels and frames to accommodate that weight. Only a few people would be able to tow them. Other components can suffer because they skimp in other areas to offset that weight.

Slide outs offer better resale, they initially cost more, so that offsets the resale a bit.

Extended warranties cost more. Contrary to some owners experience, many slide outs and their surrounding structures do break down, therefore warranties cost more.
People that have problems with slides, often sell the rv and start over. (and usually buy a new rv with more slides [emoticon] )

Many people report that they do not have issues but , a percentage of them don't even know they have an issue because they never take their RV apart to make any type of repair. Many owners simply don't know. They have no mechanical idea what they are towing or driving.
Not knocking them, they just don't know. Sometimes leaks get discovered once things get opened up and what a surprise can be seen on their faces.

RV's must be level to use slides. I have seen rv's with filon cracks and splits from people using them off level. Filon repairs are in the many thousands of dollars. People blame the filon when it was themselves that caused the problem by racking the structural framework.

Cold weather (hot weather too for that matter)
They have less insulation than the rest of the coach.
I found this to be my deal breaker because i use my RV's in the winter. They are colder due to less insulation and use a lot more propane...a lot more. You really realize how much colder they are when you get down to the low single digits . All my NON slide rv's were warmer, much warmer.
Most everyone i see using them in cold temps, end up building wood structures around the slide to insulate it. It also keeps the snow and ice off its weak roof. (you must climb up to clear it's roof of ice before you close it, slide awnings make it worse and its one more thing to break) .

nbking

Ottawa Ontario Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/17 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. I always look for a motor home without slides. I find there is usually enough space in the motor home without the slide. I don't need something else to fail.

Most of our time is spent outside anyway.

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/17 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the interior space in my trailer when the slide is out. Let's just say I like it a whole lot less when the slide is in. It's that dramatic of a change.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My opinion on slideouts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS