|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Truck slams into RV on I-75 Florida

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/17 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MICANOPY — "One person was killed and six others injured Friday afternoon when a tractor-trailer veered off Interstate 75 and struck a band’s RV, which had pulled off the highway with a flat tire."

"The FHP was still investigating Friday evening. So far, troopers believe that the RV and the van, which was pulling the enclosed trailer, had pulled off southbound I-75 onto the west shoulder. The van and the RV were traveling together. The RV had a flat tire, so both vehicles pulled off the highway.

The truck driver, for unknown reasons, veered off I-75 and struck the RV, which caught fire, the patrol said."

Witness interviewed said the carnage was too horrible to describe. Debris and blood all over. The pictures show nothing left of the RV.
http://www.gainesville.com/news/20170714........ck-slams-into-adrenaline-mobs-rv-on-i-75

IMHO, and I see it all the time on the road with my MH, those darn semi's are always smoking down I-75 over the speed limit. And the cops never stop them. Maybe now they will start. There should have been no reason for him to hit that RV if he was doing the speed limit and slowing down for a vehicle pulled on the shoulder. Just saying but I see it everyday I get on the interstates. Of course the truck driver survived and... "The truck driver declined comment to a reporter." [emoticon]

* This post was edited 07/14/17 05:36pm by rockhillmanor *

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Lwiddis

West side of Monarch Pass, east of Gunnison, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/17 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Urge your state's highway patrol to write more tickets for the 18s, RVs and cars.

2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/17 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A common cause of this is overtired Semi Drivers... Alas, they do their best to enforce the rules, but there is reason why log books are nicknamed "Swindle Sheets". and alas, that's it.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/17 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try hauling all the food and everything else that has to get to you somehow in your RV for a while, then ***** about the truckers. Look at all the ones on the road, and remember that whatever you don't like about those drivers, they have to put up with all the idiot RV and 4-wheller idiots on the road. And they do 10 times more putting up with every day than all of us do in a year. Sure there are lots of bad ones out there, but for every bad trucker, there are hundreds of worse drivers driving RVs and cars.

Edited to change "you" to "all of us".....

* This post was edited 07/14/17 07:02pm by Johno02 *

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 dog(?)

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/17 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 for above about cars. Seems there is almost weekly news reports of cars and pickups ramming other vehicles stopped on the shoulder of local highways, even hitting patrol cars with their emergency lights flashing.

Lwiddis

West side of Monarch Pass, east of Gunnison, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/17 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just advocated enforcement of speed limits for all, John. I called no one an "idiot."

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/17 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another reason autonomous vehicles cannot come soon enough....

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/17 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I was just typing while talking to a 10 yr coast-to-coast OTR driver who happens to be one of my daughters. And knowing that the majority of trucks hauling everything we need are not speeding, rather, most have company and insurance required engine governors installed limiting their maximum speed and power to 60-65 MPH, regardless of what state they are in. True, many are tired, but mostly not from driving hours, but from being made to stay awake and wait for regulations, about when they can get loaded and unloaded. Knowing just a bit about it, I tend to get irked by the fact that whenever anything bad happens, it is always blamed on the trucker first, without ever actually finding out what happened.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/17 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And this is another case of all the media placing all the blame on the trucker, without any indication of what actually happened o cause the truck to veer off the road. More one-sided, blame it on the truck first, reporting and publishing.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/17 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

Knowing just a bit about it, I tend to get irked by the fact that whenever anything bad happens, it is always blamed on the trucker first, without ever actually finding out what happened.

However, in this case it appears almost without question that the trucker plowed into the broken down RV parked off the road onto the shoulder. In that case, the trucker is certainly at fault.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Truck slams into RV on I-75 Florida
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS