RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to get mold out of the carpet.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to get mold out of the carpet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
7.3 psdman

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/17 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found some mold on the carpet in front of the couch when I ran the off door slide out. I cleaned the bottom of the slide out with mold remover and then I vacuumed the carpet. That got rid of the black powdery mold. Then I read where somebody said to use white vinegar to kill the mold in a carpet. I dabbed the vinegar on with a sponge and then dried it with a towel and then a hair dryer. After the first dose of vinegar there was still some discoloration but I figured out that the vinegar and rubbing it with towels was what was doing the job. I used old dish towels and then I threw them away. Now that area looks as clean as the rest of the carpet.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My comment is... Why was there mold in the first place? Water causes mold and where did the water come from for one and... what damage did the water do under the carpeting, to the floor structure? If it was me, I'd be pulling it up and having a look-see underneath.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

7.3 psdman

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/17 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

My comment is... Why was there mold in the first place? Water causes mold and where did the water come from for one and... what damage did the water do under the carpeting, to the floor structure? If it was me, I'd be pulling it up and having a look-see underneath.

The water came from the kitchen sink area. I still have to find out why for sure. The floor seems to be solid yet because I can walk on the area that had the mold in front of the couch without it flexing. It looks like there was very little water and I think that the reason why there was mold in the area under the slide out was because it couldn't get any air to dry out. But it was dry by the time I found it. There was some discoloration on the carpet along the back of the kitchen sink console and leading towards the slide out area but it wasn't any mold there because air could get to it. If I thought that there was any damage to the floor I would pull the carpet back but it looks like that is unnecessary right now.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly? You can never get all the spores out and you can never get all the smell out either.
Might be a good time to recarpet [emoticon]

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/17 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My comment is... Why was there mold in the first place?"

Not mold, but the reason mold starts to begin with is because of water not evaporating.

I have experienced in my TT, along the outside wall of the slide-out along the carpet, it was wet. Didn't make any sense. Then I realized it was about 20 degrees outside, and about 80 inside. Condensation was all over the very wet wall, dripping on the carpet. Ugg. Fortunately, it evaporated in good time, and we do clean our carpet every so often. So no mold. But still ....

So you can have water and eventually mold, and it doesn't have to come from a roof leak or broken water pipe.

DutchmenSport

Observation: The older I get, the less important it is to "get there". What's now important is to enjoy everything along the way getting there.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With carpet I would probably use a fair amt of white vinegar and let it set for a while -- then apply some baking soda. Works with stains and some molds - but not all. Doesn't cost much and you can always remove the carpet (probably attached with simple staples). You can bring in a pro to fix but I would replace the carpet before I did that.

Kevin

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/17 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This depends on the carpet but I'v found Clorox to be very aggressive where mold is concerned... THE PROBLEM is it can bleach the color out of your carpet so the "Test in a hidden area" part applies.

I'd use like one cup to a gallon or two of water for mold. But that's me. and open windows, doors and turn on fans.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

7.3 psdman

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/17 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did find the kitchen faucet leaks at the base where it pivots. That should be an easy fix- new faucet set. One side of the sink drain leaks under the strainer and I am trying to take it loose so that I can fix it right. Is there some trick to holding the strainer so that it doesn't turn while you use some kind of giant spanner on that locking ring?

jules6

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use a needle nose pliers into the strainer while turning the large nut.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How to get mold out of the carpet.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS