RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Vacation Planning

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MVH1

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been dreaming of taking the family out West to a NP. I have three weeks vacation in the summer and we live in North Florida. My first thoughts are possibly Colorado, because it seems the closest and it has so many different things to do and see. I thought about heading up through Texas instead of up to St. Louis and then through Kansas on 70. Obviously, looking for some ideas on things to see along the way and / or ideas on a different Western location. I was considering Utah also. Thanks in advance!

petrel

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went out west (from VA) and back a couple of years ago with our travel trailer and our family of six. Touched 21 states in 30 days and took in Ancient Puebloan Ruins, Las Vegas, San Diego, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Mt. Rushmore to name the highlights.

Keep in mind that you can wing most of the trip with few reservations. However, the National Parks will require reservations waaay in advance. We sort of locked those in and worked around them.

So much beautiful country to see, so little time. Enjoy your adventure!

43' Renegade/Coronado '06
31' Coachman Liberty Edition Bunkhouse '15
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Summer vacations can certainly be busy times, and the activities can also depend on the ages of the children. One of our favorite spots to camp was in Fruita in Capitol Reef in Utah. Parking there and doing day trips to explore the area is just about perfect. Do a google search for Fruita campground and enjoy the scenery.

Mike and Carole
2009 Triple E F254SSXL Fifth Wheel
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously Snowbird Campers

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MVH1 wrote:

I've been dreaming of taking the family out West to a NP. I have three weeks vacation in the summer and we live in North Florida. My first thoughts are possibly Colorado, because it seems the closest and it has so many different things to do and see. I thought about heading up through Texas instead of up to St. Louis and then through Kansas on 70. Obviously, looking for some ideas on things to see along the way and / or ideas on a different Western location. I was considering Utah also. Thanks in advance!

So the biggest question is what is the Mission? Just to touch a National Park or two or to see the Rockies - Or Both?

Good choice of Colorado with just a touch of Utah, IMHO this is truly one of the most Beautiful areas in the World.

Hikes - Drive throughs - Water - Rivers/Lakes - So much to see and do.

Time this is a hard four day drive out and back - so get everything packed up and leave right after work on Friday this will get you out of Fl and buy you some driving time out - so now you will have 23 1/2 days and will lose 8 on the drive out and back leaving 15.5 to see the country.

I'd get you into Golden, just west of Denver so as to acclimate and possibly make a drive up Peak to Peak and RMNP on one day.

Then out on I-70 to Leadville/Buena Vista/Arkansas River then to Black Canyon of the Gunnison before Moab then after a little heat back to Colorado and the San Juan's/Telluride/Silverton/Mesa Verde before heading home.

Lots of options will be fun to watch you decide.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/17 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big national parks like Yellowstone or Grand Teton. Yes, the parks will be busy but if you go before mid-June or after mid-August they will be lesser. You don't say if you have kids or not but if you go to SD then Custer State Park is a wonderful place to visit plus you can get to Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Bear Country USA, the kitchy/tourist town of Keystone. Can't recommend a campground but reservations would probably be a good idea.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/17 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of experience are you looking to have for yourself? Is it just you and the wife? Kids? What do you want to do and see on this trip? More info is helpful so us experienced folks can offer appropriate insight.

MVH1

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/17 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 3 children 11, 9, 5 and are looking to go West and see the sights. Would like to see a NP and then find other things to do and see. Thanks

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/17 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spend a night in Palo Duro Canyon State Park and take in the show TEXAS that runs Tuesdays through Sundays in the summer at the Pioneer Amphitheater in the park. The family-friendly show has singing, dancing, fireworks and lots of Texas humor! Then head to Southern Colorado.
Take 16 west from I25 to Durango. Take the Durango Silverton Railroad and vist Mesa Verde National Park.
Then jog down to the Grand Canyon. On the way back home stop in Tombstone AZ.
Spend a night at Rusty"s RV Ranch in NM it is in dark sky country and your kids will see a night sky like they probably never have seen.

Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/17 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 weeks from North FL. With Children. A lot of miles before you see anything important.

Option 1. Stay South may be too hot in summer, but best change from FL. South Texas, White Sands NP NM, the 4 cactus Nation Parks near Tucson AZ, Grand Canyon, 4 or 5 NPs in Southern part of UT, Great Sand Dunes CO, and maybe Meteor Crater & Petrified forest AZ, back home

Option 2. Go North. Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Badlands SD, Back Home..

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/17 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MVH1 wrote:

We have 3 children 11, 9, 5 and are looking to go West and see the sights. Would like to see a NP and then find other things to do and see. Thanks

Possible Map in either direction.

Girls and/or Boys?

Not that it matters as at that age they just want to have fun and be with YOU.

Quick story - once when we had just finished an Epic Hike to Crater Lake, in Maroon Bells late September - Golden Aspen - 60 degrees - just close to the Perfect day - I asked the two Grand Daughters - what was the best thing about the day? "Just throwing/skipping Rock off the bridge into the Stream" they answered - thank goodness we took the time to just let THEM have FUN.

No wrong choices, pick a little - pick a lot - they will love and remember it all.

Best of Luck,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS