|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dogs in RV parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
mz-s

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are seriously considering buying a camper within the next year or so, so that we can travel around our great country while towing our own "home" everywhere we go. We also want to be able to travel with our cats, which will allow us to be away from home longer without needing to worry about having someone stop by every day or so to feed/water/scoop box.

I'm reading on a lot of forums that people travel with their dogs, probably for the same reasons we want to travel with our cats.

Do you find that dogs barking is an issue in RV parks? Do people with dogs make sure they're well-mannered? Obviously there will be bad apples and irresponsible dog owners wherever you go, but in general what's been your experience? The last thing we want to do is sink thousands in a camper then never use it because we're always dodging dog refuse around the RV park, or we can't sleep because people have yappers going all hours of the night.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In general, I have found that MOST owners comply with all rules, and those dogs are quiet..

Like stated, there is always a bad apple in the bunch. We cannot judge based on that apple.

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2016 Redwood 38RL Black~Silver

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/17 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In five years we have never had an issue with a noisy dog bothering us. We have 2 large breed dogs that travel with us and they have never destroyed the RV while out and never a complaint of noise from the neighbors. It's all about training them and ensuring they are comfortable in their home away from home.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dogs and kids are two worse annoyances in the campgrounds. I have yet to anyone's who is well mannered and have never seen anyone that did't think theirs were angels.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very rarely have we seen a dog barking issue. Bigger issues are a bad owner letting them run free (especially on beaches and trails) and the biggest, not picking up after them.
Happily, these are truly the exception and most owners are great.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mz-s wrote:

My wife and I are seriously considering buying a camper within the next year or so, so that we can travel around our great country while towing our own "home" everywhere we go. We also want to be able to travel with our cats, which will allow us to be away from home longer without needing to worry about having someone stop by every day or so to feed/water/scoop box.

I'm reading on a lot of forums that people travel with their dogs, probably for the same reasons we want to travel with our cats.

Do you find that dogs barking is an issue in RV parks? Do people with dogs make sure they're well-mannered? Obviously there will be bad apples and irresponsible dog owners wherever you go, but in general what's been your experience? The last thing we want to do is sink thousands in a camper then never use it because we're always dodging dog refuse around the RV park, or we can't sleep because people have yappers going all hours of the night.

Truth is. Dog owner's obeying the CG rules are the exception instead of the rule. They leave their dogs in their RVs, and expect them not to bark. Yeah Right!. Many do not clean up after them. however that is getting better. and many others just let their dogs bark outside the RV. Many let them out unleashed to do their business. Best thing. a call to the CG office will usually put a quick end to the barking.

The people on this forum are the exception in most cases.

Another question. How will your cat act when leashed. Most cats don't like it. Or does it always stay inside. some cats do.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mz-s

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Truth is. Dog owner's obeying the CG rules are the exception instead of the rule. They leave their dogs in their RVs, and expect them not to bark. Yeah Right!. Many do not clean up after them. however that is getting better. and many others just let their dogs bark outside the RV. Many let them out unleashed to do their business. Best thing. a call to the CG office will usually put a quick end to the barking.

The people on this forum are the exception in most cases.

Another question. How will your cat act when leashed. Most cats don't like it. Or does it always stay inside. some cats do.

We don't anticipate letting the cats outside of the camper. They stay inside at home 99% of the time. We might let them out from time to time, but they would be leashed as the few times we've let them outside they've gracefully ignored our requests to come back. The last thing we want is for them to be hunkered down underneath someone else's camper.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/17 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with our little one, a long haired dachshund, and we try be responsible owners and ALWAYS pickup after him, Unfortunately, not everyone does the same, not really sure why, Lazy, below their dignity to pick it up, bags not big enough, or maybe they don't think that's their responsibility, or maybe they ignorantly believe that someone gets paid to do it.
As far as yapping, ours is generally quiet, but like many dogs, they are protective of their territory.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/17 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you are bothered by yapping dogs, buy a "dog whistle" , set your alarm for 3 am, and blow it. then blow it some more.
bumpy

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/17 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many cats do you have? We have just one and if we’re going to be gone more than 10 Days we’ll take her with us. Otherwise a big bowl of dry cat food, automatic water bowl, and a large cat box and off we go. She is always happy to see us but tends to scold us when we get back. Cats are very self sufficient and could care less if we are there.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dogs in RV parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS