|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GCWR compliance - educate me please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Txsurfer

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In order to be compliant with your GCWR do you just have to scale less than the GCWR or as I think I read somewhere GCWR = sum of truck GVWR and trailer GVWR and it doesn't matter how much you scale? Hope that makes sense? When are you into comercial territory with GCWR's?

2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GCWR is not a legal issue, it is the manufacturer's rating for warranty (if they could ever prove you exceeded it). It is what the manu. feels is a max weight to pull with reasonable performance and not damage the drivetrain, etc. But to specifically answer, you would not add truck and fiver GVWRs because that would double count the pin weight. Also in Tx you can register the truck for a GVWR higher than the manu. Number. You just can't exceed any axle or tire rating.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'17 Puma 351THSS
Rig Photos

2oldman

otr

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove the truck and 5er onto scale and as long as that number was under the GCWR I was ok.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In some states you need to be licensed for your particular GCWR. But basically it's just a possible warranty thing.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Txsurfer

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I just watched a video - in TX you are supposed to have a Class A non-commercial license for anything over 26,000 CGWR. It specifically stated that that number is determined by adding the truck GVWR and the trailers GCWR. Interesting..

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Txsurfer wrote:

So I just watched a video - in TX you are supposed to have a Class A non-commercial license for anything over 26,000 CGWR. It specifically stated that that number is determined by adding the truck GVWR and the trailers GCWR. Interesting..

The term "Gross Combined Weight Rating" (GCWR) is used in two totally unrelated contexts. One is the manufacturer GCWR, which is the total combined weight that the vehicle is rated to move as explained above. The other, which is what you are referring to, is the number that states refer to in determining regulations for a particular combination. In the case of Texas that's requiring a non-commericial class A license to drive a combination of 26,000 pounds GCWR or more if the trailer also is over 10,000 GVWR. In this situation, GCWR is simply the sum of the truck's GVWR and the trailer's GVWR. For example, a SRW 3500 series truck with an 11,400 GVWR pulling a 5th wheel with a 16,000 GVWR would require a non-commercial class A license in Texas and some other states, where a DRW truck with a GVWR of 14,000 pulling a fifth wheel with an 11,000 GVWR would not.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, kind of rjstractor. I believe the registration weight would be the "actual" combined weight of your vehicles, not their combined GVWR.

For example: my registration weight is 23,000 lbs., which is a little more than I actually weigh. If I were stopped and weighed I would be legal. However if I went by my GVWR, then the truck would be 10,000 lbs. and the trailer would be 18,000 lbs., meaning I would need to be licensed to 28,000 lbs. But that isn't the way it works in Missouri. They register by actual weight, not theoretical weight.

jarata1

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/17 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many thousands of posts on this issue

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is that RV’s and personal use vehicles are handled differently in each state. Commercial has federal guidelines that are consistent for interstate commerce, but they can be different than personal use in each state.

In my state, I register each of my vehicles for a maximum GVW. If I go above that weight, I can be cited or have to pay for an additional 2000 lbs of GVW. They don’t care what the GVWR or GCWR stickers say as long as you can stop the vehicle in a prescribed distance and are not over tire or road ratings.

Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW Jetta TDI 1.9

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam,
Here in WaSt, commercial and personal use trucks are registered the same way, same fees, same max per axle, based on actual tire width, or 500 lb per inch for a single wheel set up, 600 if you have duals, to a max 20,000 per axle, min 34,000 for tandems.

Personal does not have to follow actual drivers licensing requirements, log hours to name two items. 69 mph speed limit for those over 10,000 lbs, or pulling a trailer, chains required in winter on class's for those over 10k, 4we does not matter, not supposed to be in car pool lanes, but Leo's look the other way.....

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GCWR compliance - educate me please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS