|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing Speeds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
Larryzv7

Fairfield, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do you think States, like California, have a maximum speed of 55-mph when towing? Someone told me that the tires on most trailers, including semi-trucks, are not made for speeds over 55-mph; is this correct?

2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look on trailer tires they have a maximum speed rating of 65MPH. The faster you go the less safe it is.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

dfletch

Roanoke VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/17 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5th wheel tires are rated to 75MPH. I set my cruise control on 65MPH where alowed.

David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me switch thst question up a hit. Why do states restrict interstate highway speeds when other states dont?

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most newer trailer tires are rated for 75 and up. I don't know the logic behind California's 55 mph towing speed but from what I've seen not too many people follow it very closely. I try to keep it under 65 when I'm towing in CA.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

gmw photos

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/17 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Let me switch thst question up a hit. Why do states restrict interstate highway speeds when other states dont?

These kinds of laws fall into the category of "states rights". So they can vary from one state to the next.

The republik of kalifornia is kinda like it's own little fifedom, so it's hard to compare it to other states.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/17 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed in Ca. Towing at 55 when everyone else is doing 75~90+ MPH is crazy dangerous.
I did it for a day before I got so tired of the near collisions that I finally brought it up to 65~70. Far fewer problems after that.
Some laws are plain stupid and meant to be broken.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Lwiddis

:( la Reina de los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/17 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

California policy, set by the Legislature, mandates 55 for vehicles towing. My Provider 14 inch LR D tires are rated to 81 mph - speed rating M. I’m one of the few observing 55. I make no comments about any stupid Washington laws. I leave other states to decide for themselves, Scott.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/17 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slower is safer in an accident.
Although most trucks are going 60/65 with vehicles at 70+ and tailgating like it was the Daytona 500.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/17 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

I think it's a factor of many thing. Each state has completely different demographic structures. Some VERY big city, some almost all rural. Some have longer distances between cities, some are much closer. Some are in mountain states, some are flat. Some roads are very curvy, some are straight. Some roads are designed for heavy congestion with multiple lanes, and some are designed for only 2 lanes. Some are in snow states, some are in sunshine states.

The people who establish the speed limits have to take into consideration a happy-medium for all conditions of their respective states.

Add to the mix, big 18 wheeled rigs, vs motorcycles, and the mix is insane on these roads.

So, based on an average (I suppose), taking into factor what is a safe speed for the type of vehicle under year round conditions, what's the best speed? Based on all these factors, speed limits are determined.

I live in the country and there is one East West road North of me that has a posted 45 mph speed limit. For the longest time I couldn't understand why it was so low. In the car or truck it drove perfectly fine at 55, even 60 mph. Then one day I towed the trailer on that road, and OMG! The truck and trailer were porpoising up and down almost uncontrollably, even at 45 mph. I had to slow down to about 30 to be safe. That's when I realized different vehicles behave differently on the same roads, thus the reason for different speed limits for different vehicles. It all made sense that day!

DutchmenSport

Observation: The older I get, the less important it is to "get there". What's now important is to enjoy everything along the way getting there.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing Speeds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS