RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How did you decide on which TT to buy ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How did you decide on which TT to buy ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
NanciL

Bakersville, NC,/Key Largo FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/17 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had four trailers in our long lifetime and we bought them all based on floor plan.
The biggest problem has been that each has had the perfect floor plan, but have been the lowest quality trailers.
On our last one we searched on the net all over the country, and came back with the same thing -floor plan vs quality and ended up once again getting the low quality one with the floor plan we were looking for

Luckily I am handy and have been able to rebuild things and repair other things.
I just wish a few of the high end companies would have a bigger selection of floor plans.

So how did you buy ?

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/17 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to a lot of shows. Found what we thought we would like. Rented a similar unit.

We found, our idea floor plan was not idea, our 200 hp. pick up had the cargo capacity but not the power, 10 mpg. and 300 mile days were the norm.

Based on our rental experience, we looked for a better TV and the floor plan that was more suited to our needs. In the time it took us to find he right TT and TV, both three years old, we had saved enough additional funds to purchase both outright.

Renting before you buy, saves a lot of buyer's remorse.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

AllenTC2

Cross Lanes, WV

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/17 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't bought yet, I'm still a long way off from it actually, but what I'm doing is reading a TON of forum posts and blogs. That and I'm trying to visualize what sort of camping I want to do and find a manufacturer that caters to that style.

To be more precise, I want to boondock a lot, so I want a good 4-season "home". A lot of reading has pointed me towards Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV (and to a degree, Lance). Outdoors RV has some nice options for rougher country, solar panels and whatnot.

So now that I've found a few manufacturers I like the look of, THEN I start looking at floorplans and what kind of vehicle I'd need to tow it.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/17 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we found a floor plan we loved, was/is our first trailer, looked at a bunch of others, then looked at what mfg made that floor plan. there were several. Now the first one we saw was a sprinter, but the sprinter dealer near us IMHO was/is nothing but sleazeballs.

But previously I had made a 7x14 cargo trailer into a mini toyhauler with living quarters and had delt with another local dealer for parts etc. I was impressed with them, and they carried outbacks, very similar floorplan that we even liked better. Sales guys were nice, no pressure really wanted to help us pick the trailer we wanted. And that's what we did, with a minimal haggle on price. The sales guy spent over 3 hours with us on predelivery inspection, he found a few minor items. DW found a few, and they fixed them while we went to lunch.

That was 2010, and we've put about 30K miles on the trailer, use it almost 3 months/year and have yet to find a trailer we would replace it with. So far it has held up well.

Are there things we would like different in it? well, yes. But the same on any other floor plan we have looked at.

And for quality, virtually all the mfg use the same brands for fridge, stove, oven, microwave, ac, toilets, vanities, hw heater, tanks, and likely flooring and seating.

The structure is where most of the differences are.

* This post was edited 12/05/17 09:29am by ktmrfs *

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/17 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We came from a background of canoe and tent and 18th century reenactments. Sleeping on the ground, paddling and the wilderness trips with the grandkids were a blast.

When I retired we decided to RV around the country, another great adventure. Now the bulk of our travels are sightseeing trips.

For us that meant a 25 ft TT, big enough for us but small enough to get where we want to go.

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/17 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We saw our friends Arctic Fox. When they were ready to sell we were first in line. It was practically new, about 3 mo usage. Never been 1 problem except shearing off wheel bolts in N Pa.

nineoaks2004

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/17 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked on line, went to various dealers and looked at different units, We found the one that we felt was right for us and purchased it.

By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/17 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I now lease my 1500 trucks so I can be in a new truck every 3 years with no extra equipment other than a factory tow package. My previous trucks were 2500's and a 350 diesel but more expensive to lease. Lots of deals/rebate money out there on 1500's.
I wanted a TT short enough to do state parks and dirt roads off the beat n path. After towing countless trailers of many brands and types. I found a floorplan that would work for 2 people and a 70# foxhound in an aluminum sided , non slide floorplan which both save weight.
I wanted an island bed, dinette and sofa and found all these things in a 27 ft ball to bumper TT.
The bonus for me was a 90 gal freshwater tank and a large full width rear bath that's large enough to add / install a 2nd toilet, a porta-potti for boondocking without having to drag the TT to a dump station ( i camp for a month at a time off grid) .
My Jayco fit the bill and has been a very good unit with simple issues that I took care of myself. I put 7500 mi a year on it and it's been real nice.
I have owned better brands that folks here like a lot but I didn't find them to be the better option mechanically. If you don't have a good dealer that will help you, you are on your own with any brand of RV and they 'ALL' have problems.
A good dealer can resolve things to make it better in any brand. MY advice, buy the floorplan you like from a good dealer that knows what he's doing.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/17 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Requirements are, rack and pinion slide mechanism, 80" queen bed, stand up shower, recliners and ability to reach and use everything with slides in while at a rest area for example. That lead us to our current Jayco Jay flight 28RLS.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 96k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Equalizer 4 pt 10k.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/17 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a used pop up after selling our sailboat. We wanted to see if we would enjoy traveling in a camper. Having our own little house was great, especially at the beach. DW wanted hard sides though, so I bought a 6x14 vnose cargo trailer and had a lot of fun making an RV out of it. Toted that thing everywhere. The only complaint was there was no room for a dedicated dining area. It did have a galley, head, shower, and a full size bed.
So, we started thinking about the perfect camper for us. After a year or so of research, I found exactly what we were looking for- a 2007 Trail-Lite 214QB. It had an island queen, decent size bath, loads of storage, stove, large fridge and a dinette. Unfortunately, I did not know how to check for water intrusion problems, though I soon learned. After about 3 years of fixing floors, walls and the roof, we decided to give up and find another. But we loved the floor plan.
By luck, I stumbled upon what we have now, which has pretty much the same floor plan as the Trail-Lite, but with a small slide.
With the proper maintenance, this one should be our last.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2008 Nissan Frontier CC 4WD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How did you decide on which TT to buy ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS