|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Rifle Gap State Park - Colorado

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/17 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi friends, we are looking at staying at Rifle Gap State Park in mid-June for a few days before heading out to Country Jam. Our 5th wheel toyhauler is 38' long. It seems almost all the campgrounds there have some spots can accommodate us, and we don't care about full hookups, just electric would be nice. We will not be bringing the RZR on this trip so we probably wouldn't stay in the Sage campground.

Can anybody who has visited there give me some insight on the best campsites and/or anything else we should know? We plan on booking on Sunday, the first possible day, for a Sunday-Wednesday visit, so I think we'll have our pick of spots this early. The husband likes easy in/out without too many trees close by or boulders/rocks making it difficult to swing out wide enough. Prefer pull-through but back-in is fine too.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/17 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some reviews of the 9 parks in/around Rifle

Rifle CO

Rifle CO....WOW haven't thought about that place since I left WY back in the early 70's.
Oil field derrick worker

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/17 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two separate camp grounds. the last time we stayed was on the lake campground, this is the first one you come to. There are shaded spots in the other campsite but it is a lot smaller. Pull thru sites are plentiful around the lake. if you are going to be there a few days it is worth it to visit the other campsite as there are good picture opportunities there.

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/17 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed in the Lakeview Loop in site 12 the last two years. It is as wonderful site: concrete, perfectly level, covered picnic shelter, full hook up. I'd definitely go there again. Great view, high above the lake, quiet. Can't say enough good about it.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/17 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

padredw wrote:

We have stayed in the Lakeview Loop in site 12 the last two years. It is as wonderful site: concrete, perfectly level, covered picnic shelter, full hook up. I'd definitely go there again. Great view, high above the lake, quiet. Can't say enough good about it.

Thank you, that site does look lovely! Good view and quiet are high on our list since the latter part of that week at Country Jam is boondocking in an alfalfa field with 30,000 of our closest friends haha! The one I was eyeing in the Lakeview campground is spot 14, which is right next to 12, so good to know that they are as nice as they look in the photos online.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/17 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I think site 14 is entirely comparable to site 12. You won't go wrong there.

Vette Racer

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/17 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there this last summer and stayed in the upper loop, didn't see a campsite that wouldn't work for most anything. We have a 38ft 5th and an extra vehicle. Great place!

KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/17 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vette Racer wrote:

We were there this last summer and stayed in the upper loop, didn't see a campsite that wouldn't work for most anything. We have a 38ft 5th and an extra vehicle. Great place!

Great, thank you! This is only our 2nd year with the big 5er so we're still not super confident with the size... so big campsites are nice!

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/17 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live pretty close to this park and have been there (or past there) more than a few times. If I might make another suggestion: have you considered heading a little further upstream and camping at Rifle Falls SP? A little higher up, cooler, quieter (no boat noise), and more trees. Of course if you're wanting to be close to the lake for fishing or boating, then Rifle Gap is a better choice.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/17 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the idea of Rifle Falls S.P. It is smaller, quieter, and has grass and shade. The only negative is my wife always sees a lot of small water snakes that come out of the creek area. At least they are small and harmless.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Rifle Gap State Park - Colorado
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS