|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> California winds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We drove from border to Palm Desert yesterday in the wind. There were warnings but we did it anyway. About 20 miles from the border a squad appeared and took position straddling both lanes and slowed us to around 35 mph for nearly 50 miles. Actually helped. We noticed on news last night some gusts in that area over 50mph. Much worse as you get closer to the border but we were not driving. My added sway bar and steering stabilizer helped a lot on my gas Winnebago Suncruiser 38Q. We may delay run to LA until wind gets better. Scheduled to make the drive on Saturday but concerned about San Bernadino mountains.

gutfelt

North america

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/17 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goldencrazy wrote:

We drove from border to Palm Desert yesterday in the wind. There were warnings but we did it anyway. About 20 miles from the border a squad appeared and took position straddling both lanes and slowed us to around 35 mph for nearly 50 miles. Actually helped. We noticed on news last night some gusts in that area over 50mph. Much worse as you get closer to the border but we were not driving. My added sway bar and steering stabilizer helped a lot on my gas Winnebago Suncruiser 38Q. We may delay run to LA until wind gets better. Scheduled to make the drive on Saturday but concerned about San Bernadino mountains.

drove 20 miles from what border? I live in Indio 10 miles from palm desert, we had some mild winds but nothing notable

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arizona/Ca border. It was mild after coming down from the high desert but pretty intense before. Yes just nice breeze in Palm Desert.

doxiemom11

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those winds blow semi's over. Your winnie is not anywhere the weight they are. Why take the chance?

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/17 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goldencrazy wrote:

Arizona/Ca border. It was mild after coming down from the high desert but pretty intense before. Yes just nice breeze in Palm Desert.

The winds were blowing WEST so it should have not been too bad from AZ to CA.

We are in Palm Springs and the winds have been mild unless you were in the pass between the mountains. We have certainly had bad winds in the past but lucky this time. I feel so sorry for the folks in LA. How horrible it must be to lose your whole house in minutes. Very sad.

Safe travels,
MM.

Mr.Mark

Liberty Coach
Lincoln MKX

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/17 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A semi was blown off the highway. They were from the west according to weather but at times flags showed them blowing directly across the highway. The gusts were the issue.

Nutinelse2do

On the Road Where the Weather Suits Our Clothes

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/17 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Warning everyone.... We are in Laughlin, and has been down right nasty since Sunday, and these winds are expected to stay this way for at least another 48 hrs, possibly till Sunday morning.

We have seen a few brave? souls on the road, but not many. Think we have had 2-3 people pull in the last couple of days. There is some damage here, and most people have their satellite dishes down. Yes, it’s that bad.

If you don’t have to come through this area, please don’t. It’s dangerous.

Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - KSDP 3912... Cummins 350ISL..Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/17 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goldencrazy wrote:

A semi was blown off the highway. They were from the west according to weather but at times flags showed them blowing directly across the highway. The gusts were the issue.

I took one of our cars for service to the Indigo Auto Group in Rancho Mirage yesterday and the winds were not bad on the highway as it 'hugs' the mountains. Interstate 10 could have been totally different.

We had heavy wind driving west from TN for two solid days a week ago. First day it was blowing north and the second day blowing south. It could have been worse if it was a total head-wind.

MM.

Lilya

United State

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 01:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I imagine this is hard work.

2oldman

otr

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/17 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nutinelse2do wrote:

and most people have their satellite dishes down.
I do. Near Salton Sea. Forecast is for more nastiness at 1pm then settling down again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> California winds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS