|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Zamp solar alternative

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
richy2

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a small motorhome equipped with 2 agm group 27 batteries, Zamp external port and 1000 watt inverter. looking for alternatives to Zamp suitcase type solar panels. I have minimal power needs, two or three hours of tv and some led lighting. I do not want to void warranty, so compatibility is important. Thanks for suggestions.
Based on the questions, I'll try to be more clear. I want something portable as in suitcase type not roof mount. The port is sae. Compatibility means working with equipment I have mentioned. Will need controller.
Based on some of the responses, I guess I'm still not clear. All that I need is a portable solar panel to work with a motorhome that is Zamp solar ready, meaning it has a SAE port mounted on side of motorhome. What manufacturers other than Zamp can provide what I'm looking for, hopefully at less cost.

* This post was last edited 01/14/18 07:08am by richy2 *   View edit history

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you want portable or roof mount panels?

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

... and another question - what "compatibility"... Though, probably, not a question.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does a Zamp connector look like?

Is it same as an SAE 12v connector?
[image]

Some panels here:
https://www.solarblvd.com/product-catego........lar-panels-systems/12-volt-solar-panels/

Do you need a controller?

How many watts are you looking at? 100w? 500w?
If going big you will need to post the size wire on the connector. I would hope it is #10 but probably #14 or #12.

* This post was last edited 01/13/18 01:27pm by time2roll *   View edit history

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider carefully if you want to setup, watch over, takedown and store solar panels. Roof mounted avoids all that and works as soon as its light...and you are still snoozing.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

What does a Zamp connector look like?

Is it same as an SAE 12v connector?
[image]

Some panels here:
https://www.solarblvd.com/product-catego........lar-panels-systems/12-volt-solar-panels/

Do you need a controller?

That's the connector, although the Zamp port installed by most if not all OEM's is typically reverse polarity, so You need to reverse the leads on either the connector your plugging in or the wiring installed by the manufacturer. You also usually need a controller in most cases, as the OEM port is typically just that and wired directly to the battery connection.

red31

Bryan

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar........160-watt-foldable-12-volt-solar-panel-2/

scrape the included charge controller and get the grape solar controller @ home depot, contact grape for app to talk with bluethooth controller
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-........ler-with-Bluetooth-GS-PWM-40BT/207100856
mount the controller inside and then to the outside wall port, wire the portable panel with correct polarity plug and connect to outside port. Extend panel wires with 12g landscape wire/ft from HD to what ya need.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

red31 wrote:

https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar........160-watt-foldable-12-volt-solar-panel-2/

scrape the included charge controller and get the grape solar controller @ home depot, contact grape for app to talk with bluethooth controller
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-........ler-with-Bluetooth-GS-PWM-40BT/207100856
mount the controller inside and then to the outside wall port, wire the portable panel with correct polarity plug and connect to outside port. Extend panel wires with 12g landscape wire/ft from HD to what ya need.

x2.

I have 3 of these for my portable setup. works great

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richy2 wrote:

Compatibility means working with equipment I have mentioned.

Not an issue.

Your devices will be running on any 12 VDC power, no matter whether it comes from the battery alone or from battery and solar controller.

If by equipment you mean 2-pole SAE connector, - solar array with a current exceeding the amps rating of this connector, would be too big to be considered a portable. Your wire gauge is more important.

red31

Bryan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Renogy mc4 to sae adapter
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-mc4-to-sae-adaptor/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Zamp solar alternative
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS