|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Host Cascade and suitable truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
maxum1989

Mt Vernon WA and Vancouver B.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/18 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have another thread going talking about the door pillar sticker on a 2015 GMC 3500 hd dually I went and looked at. Door pillar sticker says cargo and passengers shouldn't go over 4887 pounds. I drove this truck today. Its an awesome truck.

I saw the new Cascade camper from Host at the recent Seattle Rv show and fell in love. I contacted Host about this new Cascade camper and optioned the way I would like, it comes in at about 3750 pounds. I actually didn't pick many extra options. This weight is without propane 100 lbs, batteries 120lbs or water 200ish (not full). So before I put any supplies or myself in the truck I'm down to just over 700 pounds. A truck camper this size with as much storage as it has tends to have a lot of things put into it so I'm thinking that 700 pounds isn't going to cut it.

So before a bunch of you say the truck will handle it no problem, I agree, I think it would. The problem is I'm from B.C. where they can and do at times take the truck weight rating seriously. To be fair, I have never seen any of these enforcement setups anywhere in my travels, but they still concern me a little. With this potential enforcement issue in my mind while I try and match a truck to this Cascade camper, I'm trying my best to stay within the trucks weight rating. I think I would own this setup for a very long time so I would like to get it right.

In the other thread, someone eluded to the fact that Ram and Ford have higher weight ratings on their 3500 dually trucks. Can someone with a truck from either of those manufacturers in the 2014 to current year confirm this? I'm hoping for a payload in the 5400 pound area or higher so I can load the camper any way I like for any given trip without concern.

* This post was edited 02/17/18 09:56pm by maxum1989 *

2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5

bristles

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/18 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may not help, but I read that GM is coming out with a 4500 and 5500 to compete with the Ford's and Dodge. If I remember correctly they will be out late this year or next.

maxum1989

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/18 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I have heard that too but I try and buy my vehicles a few years old to limit the sticker shock a little. That being said I'm considering paying a crazy amount for a brand new camper so who knows?

hedge

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/18 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2017 Ford F350 Platinum has a cargo capacity sticker of 5300, it has a GVW of 14000. I could have got more capacity with a less optioned truck.

What is the GVW of the GM?

You have to be careful going to a 450/4500 truck as although the truck is obviously more capable it can actually have less cargo capacity because it is a heavier truck but still may have the same GVW. ie. the Ford F450. (unless they are chassis cab)

2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

maxum1989

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/18 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the GVW of the GM is 13200.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/18 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another factor is insurance. I was going to buy a 4x4 Ford F450 but my insurance company wouldn’t put it on our policy, he said I had to have commercial insurance.

Do NOT believe any camper manufacturer or dealer about weight!
They all come from some other planet with less gravity.
The day a camper doesn’t weigh a whole lot more than claimed will be the day that beer and potato chips are actually good for you. A great day, yes. But it probably ain’t coming.

99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.
This is how they should have built them!

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/18 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

The day a camper doesn’t weigh a whole lot more than claimed will be the day that beer and potato chips are actually good for you. A great day, yes. But it probably ain’t coming.

ROGER THAT!!

I have the smallest camper AF makes and it puts my truck (dually) over the GVWR before I even add food and supplies to go on a trip.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

maxum1989

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/18 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

Another factor is insurance. I was going to buy a 4x4 Ford F450 but my insurance company wouldn’t put it on our policy, he said I had to have commercial insurance.

Do NOT believe any camper manufacturer or dealer about weight!
They all come from some other planet with less gravity.

With the new version of the Cascade being very new to the market, I am waiting for some real weights from new owners as they take their campers to the scales. There have been several threads about this camper so before too long I'm sure there will be some reports of what these things actually weigh. I sure hope the weight issue with a proper truck isn't worse than I think it is.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/18 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

Do NOT believe any camper manufacturer or dealer about weigh.

Not all of us with F450s have commercial insurance.

Based on posts, it sounds like Host has been really close with new models.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

MrPhelps

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/18 04:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like your issue is meeting the door sticker requirement more than the functional or operational performance requirement of the truck loaded with a camper. You probably know all of what I am about to say too, but here goes..

Most of us have started out this way. We want the larger camper but it seems to heavy for the stock truck payload unless we go to a greater than 3500 size, usually a deal breaker.

I started this way many years ago with an original heavy first (double slide) camper and current truck. I concluded (with help here) and believe the conclusion most of us eventually make , and why so many people say, " it will ride fine, is from experience from the process and the knowledge about operational performance gained.

The sticker for payloads on these trucks do not account for modifications that can be easily be implemented and are based on a stock vehicle with safety factors and standard stock equipment...Standard wheels, standard tires and shocks,spring enhancements etc..

Wheels and tires are usually the limiting factor for this sticker value so some of us upgrade these areas for a payload more determined by GAWR. Simple changes to prevent payload squat and rolling are also available. This effectively increases your " sticker payload" and enhances functional ride and performance.

I made these modifications where the truck rode well and was below GAWR when loaded and it functionally rides/drives well, but there was never any attempt to modify the original door sticker payload and if that is where you are, then you may be conflicted unless a next class truck is purchased.

On the Cascade, I requested from Host a CG but they did not have one. I was going to wait until they produced one to make a commitment. The load distribution on the truck can be more important to the functional ride than simply the weight. However, because of their forward fresh water tanks location and the large storage area beneath, it appeared the loaded CG and thus ride could be somewhat determined more by an owner's packing than with other campers. In addition, on this forum it was reported that these campers ride well on trucks similar to mine.

Functional performance to GAWR vs sticker limited payload ... you have to choose..

- 06 Dodge DRW CTD QC 4x4 Laramie, Nav, Powersteps, Exhaust Brake, Ricksons w/19.5 H ply XDS2 , Ride Rites, Ranchos, Bump Stops, Airbags, Superhitch, Bodiak, 60 gal Fuel tank

- 2018 Host Cascade dual slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Host Cascade and suitable truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS