|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Haul Master Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mat60

maine

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For now its going to be this or nothing for so here it goes..Im lookin at getting a Haul master 10,000 Max LB-- 1000 LB max tung LB. From Harbor Freight... Its less than $200 with coupon. I have haled my new TT without one and it went down the road fine but the truck and trailer were empty. I could tell that I didn't want any more tung weight than I have without a WDH. Does anyone have one and what is your opinion.

2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

ACDNate

Biloxi

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used one for a couple years with no problems. Take your time setting it up. Not a quick process. I spent probably 4hrs getting it setup correctly the first time

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good advice to take your time setting up. more advice, go to you tube and look up etrailer installs. a lot of good info on setting up. would not hurt to watch it a few time as you may forget a step or two

mat60

maine

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/18 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

good advice to take your time setting up. more advice, go to you tube and look up trailer installs. a lot of good info on setting up. would not hurt to watch it a few time as you may forget a step or two
...Thanks Guys.. May sound funny but I'm looking forward to the install and testing it. Great advice here and I will be looking a videos on this tonight. Never wanted spring as much as this year.[emoticon]

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/18 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been using one for about five years. If you find setup instructions for another round bar hitch, the directions may be better than the ones from HF. I’ve run the same style hitch since 2005, so it was simple to apply my prior knowledge.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

mat60

maine

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand everything except what is the reason for the angle of the head/Ball.

* This post was edited 03/09/18 07:25am by mat60 *

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to use the 20 percent off coupon, be careful. Seems they have changed what you can use the coupons on now. A lot of their name brand items like Haul Master, Earthquake, etc. cannot use the coupon. Check the fine print on the coupon for what you cannot use it on.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mat60 wrote:

I understand everything except what is the reason for the angle of the head/Ball.

That adjusts the angle of the bars so that you can have the appropriate load on them when they are parallel to the ground.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adjusting the angle of the hitch head, will also change the angle of the spring bars when they are rest. To add more tension to the bars, you can use more or less links of chain at the hangers or adjust the head angle to do the same.

You want to allow as much chain as possible between the spring bars and tongue hangers to ease stress during turns, but you do not want the spring bars to be hanging so low that they drag on uneven ground. A general rule of thumb is to get the bars parallel with the tongue - This should give sufficient chain length and ground clearance.

My enclosed trailer is around 8000 lbs with 1000 lbs tongue weight, I use the maximum hitch angle in my application to redistribute that hitch weight between all the axles.

mat60

maine

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/18 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank You guys. Got one more thing to ask. I'm thinking the best place to carry heavy tools and such would be in the back of truck up close to cab as possible. I understand the trailer needs to be loaded for the right amount of tung weight but after that would the center of the trailer be best like under the booth storage? I also am thinking it may not be best to put heavy stuff in rear of TT. Does this sound ok to you?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Haul Master Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS