|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The Lightest & Least Expensive Production Truck Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/18 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up our new truck camper this week and getting ready to customize much of the interior. At 1220 lbs on the Cat scale and a base model price of about $7500 it opens lots of door in a specialized niche market.

The Lightest and Least Expensive Production Truck Camper on the Planet !

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/18 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 gallon fresh water? Ok...

99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.
This is how they should have built them!

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/18 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting bare bones camper. Is there a battery or a bathroom, black tank or cassette toilet? Dual pane windows? Insulation? At 1200 pounds this would work on almost any truck.
Good luck.
jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, congrats for the new camper! I wish you all the best with it, and many years of successful use and wonderful travel! Thanks for sharing - I did not know about EUREKA campers before.

Having said that...

This is the homepage of the manufacturer:
https://www.eurekacamper.com/camper-models/slideinn-truck-camper/

It *is* a very bare-bones camper. They sell the Porta-Potti as a "self contained flushing toilet", and ain't that the truth... No LPG system, no furnace, no water heater. Looking at the pictures, I see they cut so many corners, the thing should be as round as a UFO. And still I wonder how they can offer a product at that price.

The use of a power strip for the "electrical system" in some of the pictures strikes me as creative.

A small side note on the format of the presentation: I appreciate all the work that went into making the video presentation. I really do. And it is well done. But I think it makes it very time consuming and difficult to effectively get to know the camper. What was wrong with posting a few pictures, some text, and some link to the manufacturer's site? I see this trend in the web recently, and maybe I am just old, but I'd rather take in information at my own speed rather than be spoon fed.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a production version of a very simple home built pickup camper.

At that level of simplicity, I would seriously think about just building it myself and probably cut the cost by 75%.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would rather have a used version of the best built camper on the market.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not much more than a hard-side tent - once you get it operational for any kind of self-contained camping, it probably cost just as much as some other brands.

However, if you are handy, and can put the basics in yourself, it gives you a custom truck camper set up exactly the way you want it. AND, you know it's done right, no short-cuts.

I do agree tho, if you are that handy, you can probably build it for much less than $7500 ...

Good luck with it, and happy camping !!! M44 and Genie

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....I like it. A lot. I think that there will be a good market for this truck camper.

Customization seems to be very welcome at the factory.

If they have block foam insulation between the welded aluminum frame that would be a real plus. If the camper tub is made from Azdel sheets over aluminum framing with block foam between the aluminum, that would be exceptional.

I looked carefully at all the manufacturing steps (illustrated in the video), and I would guestimate that the exterior lamilux FRP, the aluminum framing pieces, rubber roof, interior cladding, RV windows, roof vents, RV door, wiring, electrical components (not many, but there are a few items) and converter, the 4 corner jacks and finally, the interior cabinetry would cost appx $5000 ~ $5600. One would have to be one heck of an accomplished welder of aluminum to even attempt a do-it-yourself build like this (how many people know how to weld aluminum professionally and practiced? What, one in 20,000? One in 5000?).

To me, it would be worth my while to just buy this item brand new from the factory for $2000 and pretend I built it, rather than spending 200+ hours and $5000 in one-off full cost ordered parts from Elixir Industries, building it in my garage; but YMMV [emoticon]

....on edit: I like the Danby wall-mount aircon; nice touch! I know the family that founded that appliance company. Good value for the dollar, and not a fortune to replace if needed.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just spent about 45 minutes replying to each comment above and then after posting received an error message and all was lost !

Thanks for watching the video and providing feed-back. I'm not able to regurgitate all that over again !

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happened to me before. I was not happy. I understand the sentiment ;-)

I did watch the video later on today and also spent some time on the manufacturer's site. they have an interesting product. Some of their solutions look very homemade. But as Silversand said, they appear to be open for customization, and I can see how the basic shell could appeal to many people.

Thanks for sharing, and please enjoy your new camper regardless of internet comments!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The Lightest & Least Expensive Production Truck Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS