|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tow/tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
poorboy

newark,de. usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interested in towing a short trailer for golf cart or the Harley behind my 34 ft. Jayco. Can anyone tell me where I can find the legal limits for various states. Thanks in advance.

2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLTS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2007 Peterbilt Car Hauler (10 cars) Cat 550 & 18 spd.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Figure 65 feet for most states. That can vary if your asking about interstates, sate, or county roads.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the tables I found when I was looking were hopelessly unreliable. And don't forget it is not kosher to tow a trailer behind a trailer in all states. If I were concerned I would check each state's DMV regulations, and do that for each state I was going to travel in/through.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doubles are a no no in New York State!

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mean two trailers I guess. It's legal in most states but last I checked not in your state of Delaware. Pretty much the entire east coast doesn't allow it.
I wish it were legal in VA. I would love to pull my boat behind a FW camper. My family owns a trailer dealership; they sell horse, stock, flatbed, dump, etc. trailers. The guys that bring the new ones will often tow in from Kansas or Iowa with two. Sometimes they make it without being stopped, sometimes not. In VA if you are stopped you can not move again with both trailers. You must leave on by the side of the road or have someone else come get it. If it were just a ticket I might chance it but there's no way I'm leaving my boat beside the interstate.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Click here. Good source, sound information. Good luck!

According to the detailed information for Delaware on that web site, you will be illegal if you tow a golf cart behind your Jayco.

For Delaware:

TRAILER DIMENSIONS
Total length: 60 feet (65 feet for an RV towing a vehicle); trailer length 40 feet; motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches for trailers, 8 feet for motor homes (excluding safety equipment); height: 13 feet 6 inches.

TRAILER BRAKES
Every motor vehicle when operated on a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement, and to stop and hold such vehicle and any trailer attached thereto, including 2 separate means of applying the brakes.

Brakes are required for any vehicle and load with a gross weight over 4,000 lbs.

TRAILER HITCH/SIGNALS
Safety chain is recommended.

TRAILER LIGHTING
Every trailer shall be equipped with at least 1 tail lamp, mounted on the rear, which when lighted emits a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.

TRAILER MIRRORS
All motor vehicles shall be equipped with a mirror placed so that the driver may readily ascertain the presence of any vehicle traveling in the same direction and overtaking the Driver’s vehicle.

TRAILER SPEED LIMITS
No trailer carrying a gross weight of load in combination with a vehicle in excess of 4,000 lbs. shall be operated at a speed over 10 mph unless equipped with suitable brakes controlled by the operator of the towing vehicle.

TRAILER TOWING
No vehicle shall be driven upon any highway pulling more than 1 other vehicle.

The drawbar or other connection between any vehicle and the vehicle it is towing shall not exceed 15 feet in length.

If the connection between 2 vehicles, 1 towing the other, consists of a chain, rope, or cable, there shall be a red flag or other cloth not less than 12 inches square attached to the connection.

TRAILER OTHER PROVISIONS
It shall be unlawful to ride in a house trailer being towed by another vehicle.

* This post was edited 07/11/18 06:45pm by DutchmenSport *

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some states ban double towing. Some states only allow it if the first is a fifth wheel. Good luck.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a general rule, this forum really hates towing tandem. You will get lots of comments (some already) about how you shouldn't do it, not safe, insurance won't cover in an accident, the list goes on.

If I were you, I would decide which states are most important for you to tow through, and directly research the rules for those states. I would not rely on most of the information that will be posted here, or any on-line listing that claims to have info for every state.

I've towed tandem for over 20 years now, and have well over 100,000 miles under my belt doing it. What I have found is that it is legal in most states - except those on the coasts.

I have taken my rig through 7 mountain/mid-west states, and I am over length in every state (including my home state) with the exception of MT. It is my experience that if your rig handles well, and you are driving safely, LEO does not care about length.

That said, you should still know the laws, and be willing to suffer the consequences if you go outside them and have a LEO throw the book at you.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

poorboy

newark,de. usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/18 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for the good advice. The rules are clear for us truckers, but not as clear for us rv'ers. Just might have to change the p/u bed to accommodate my needs, thanks again.

taken

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/18 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could instead use a swivel wheel trailer. The wheels swivel instead of the hitch being the pivot point. Due to it's solid connection to the back of the RV, it's not considered a double tow.

There are more out there but here are a couple of brands to give you an idea.

Swivel Wheel

Idaho Tote

Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tow/tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS