RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
homelesshartshorns

Lake Ozark, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teddy Roosevelt National Park, the South Unit, only gets one star from us. No Dump, Dry Camping, First Come First Serve unless someone made a Reservation, so many site sat empty for the two days we where here. The lane around the camp ground is not trimmed for big rigs. If the old banker comes in with more rig than he can handle he will get a limb. Grass and brush around camp site is rough and not trimmed back, so you have to step out of your rig into the tall stuff.

Mod's Edit: Link to commercial blog deleted.

* This post was edited 07/13/18 12:24pm by an administrator/moderator *

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I heard the ticks can be bad around there, too. Did you go hiking at all?

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your report is troubling. Thank you for sharing.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then you may not like Wind Cave NP in the Black Hills either. No hookups, no dump station, it is dry camping in very small sites. But the sites are mowed and you don't get to make reservations so it is all first come, first served.

WCNP is one of our very favorite spots. It sounds like we would like TRNP too. Maybe next year, we tried to do it this year but time is running out. Most of the National Parks campgrounds were built when campers were small, and most people tented. In my opinion, (which isn't worth much,) we are at fault for getting huge campers, not the parks for having campgrounds.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

homelesshartshorns wrote:

Teddy Roosevelt National Park, the South Unit, only gets one star from us. No Dump, Dry Camping, First Come First Serve unless someone made a Reservation, so many site sat empty for the two days we where here. The lane around the camp ground is not trimmed for big rigs. If the old banker comes in with more rig than he can handle he will get a limb. Grass and brush around camp site is rough and not trimmed back, so you have to step out of your rig into the tall stuff.

Read about all that when planning our trip so made reservations and stayed at Medora Campground. Not fancy, but OK.

Mod's Edit: Link to commercial blog deleted.

* This post was edited 07/13/18 12:25pm by an administrator/moderator *

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi dieseltruckdriver,

I love so called "primitive" campgrounds.

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

Then you may not like Wind Cave NP in the Black Hills either. No hookups, no dump station, it is dry camping in very small sites. But the sites are mowed and you don't get to make reservations so it is all first come, first served.

WCNP is one of our very favorite spots. It sounds like we would like TRNP too. Maybe next year, we tried to do it this year but time is running out. Most of the National Parks campgrounds were built when campers were small, and most people tented. In my opinion, (which isn't worth much,) we are at fault for getting huge campers, not the parks for having campgrounds.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the perfect campground for me! In fact I have been there and found it quite acceptable. I don't need or want full hook ups, 50 amp service, cable television, swimming pool, concierge, and meals delivered to my door. I want to camp!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

I heard the ticks can be bad around there, too. Did you go hiking at all?

We were up there a couple of weeks ago, not at the CG but at the park. We hiked all the shorter trails and saw no ticks or mosquitoes for that matter. We visited both units and hiked at both. The vegetation seemed rather sparse for ticks tho.

I have to say tho, that I've noticed that ticks seem to prefer some people over others. I rarely find one on me, my wife occasionally sees one and our daughter is a tick magnet. This may be caused by different hiking styles, maybe some people contact more bushes and such that others.

For the park itself we went back thinking that maybe we missed something on the other short trips we made there, but no there just isn't that much to see at these parks. The south unit has more in the way of trails, the north mainly has a few longer trails. We did not visit the TR homestead, it is far off and only a few building foundations remain.

So I rate the park a one day stop, it isn't that far from the Black Hills, so a short trip is worth making.

* This post was edited 07/12/18 08:17am by agesilaus *

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The town of Medora at the entrance to the South Unit is worth spending time in with its "Medora Musical" show, North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame, and Chateau de Mores historical homestead.

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarnationSailor wrote:

The town of Medora at the entrance to the South Unit is worth spending time in with its "Medora Musical" show, North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame, and Chateau de Mores historical homestead.

Just there we love the Cowboy Cafe - we stay at Red Trail Campground

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
324 Campgrounds,73K miles driven in our motor homes and 1558 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS