RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Tire Balance Beads ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tire Balance Beads ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/18 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been thinking about running Dyna Beads in my tires. Wondering if anyone here is using them in their tires? And if so, how they like them?

Apparently, you can either run a large amount of them, in lieu of regular wheel weights, or balance the tire normally and add a smaller amount of beads to help maintain the balance as the tire wears. I think I'm leaning towards the later.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/18 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to trust them to balance your tires I would use enough to do the job completely. That way if you lose a weight or add a TPMS system, your tires wear or anything else changes the weight of the tire your balance should be ok.

Some of those beans and powders used for tire balance require special inflator valve to prevent clogging. We use the Centramatics on our wheels and love it when tires get changed we do not have to add new beads. After the mh sits for awhile we can feel the balancing take place as we start out. Never have to rotate anymore.

Cost wise however, beads should be considerably cheaper and from the reports on the forums, seem to work very well.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/18 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use beads instead of weights on our Suncruiser 37F. They seem to work fine.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/18 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Equal in mine. Just make sure the tire shop puts in the right valve stems.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/18 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since trailer drums or hubs are not balanced from the factory and the tires may be considerably out of balance, how would one guess the proper amount of beads to put in a tire? For example; I have had drums out of balance by 5.5 oz. and tires a similar amount. Depending on the orientation of the tire, I would need something between 1 and 15 ounces to bring it into balance, and then the balancing process would need to start all over again after each stop. Makes no sense to me. I actually balance the entire assembly and leave the gimmicks to others.

Garry&Gayle

Hemet, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run Equal in my F350 DRW 4X running Toyo Open Country and no other weights, ride smooth and wear is smooth. The balancing media company tells you how much to put in according to tire size, it comes in different size packages.

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Since trailer drums or hubs are not balanced from the factory and the tires may be considerably out of balance, how would one guess the proper amount of beads to put in a tire? For example; I have had drums out of balance by 5.5 oz. and tires a similar amount. Depending on the orientation of the tire, I would need something between 1 and 15 ounces to bring it into balance, and then the balancing process would need to start all over again after each stop. Makes no sense to me. I actually balance the entire assembly and leave the gimmicks to others.

According to the Dyna Bead people, "extra" beads just distribute themselves around you tire equally, so only the ones that accumulate in the light spot of the tire actually affect the balance.

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use them on the MH, truck, and trailer. All tires roll smooth and are wearing evenly. MH and trailer have beads only, truck has weights and beads.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/18 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

I've been thinking about running Dyna Beads in my tires. Wondering if anyone here is using them in their tires? And if so, how they like them?

Apparently, you can either run a large amount of them, in lieu of regular wheel weights, or balance the tire normally and add a smaller amount of beads to help maintain the balance as the tire wears. I think I'm leaning towards the later.

We’re running 19.5” H rated tires on our Dodge, using conventional weights and beads.....you couldn’t ask for a smoother ride!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started out with Dyna Beads on my motorcycle. I consider them expensive, but easy to use on a tire that is already mounted on a rim. They are small enough to fit through the valve stem.

I have been using airsoft pellets for the last few tires on my bike and on my truck. Since the airsoft are larger you need to break the bead to install them. I just show up at the tire shop with a ziplock pre-weighed. I just buy a container of them for a few bucks from Walmart. Just be sure they are not the ones that leave a mark.

I have 6-7oz per tire on my truck (265/70-17), and about 3oz on my bike tires (185/60-16ish in size). They do a fantastic job. They have not come apart in my bike tires after approx 12k miles of life, and the truck rides fine after a lot more miles than that.

You can hear them cascading against the inner part of the wheel when going slow, but that is the only 'issue' I've had, and that doesn't bother me.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tire Balance Beads ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS