RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Please help! Is this buyer of my trailer trying to scam me?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Please help! Is this buyer of my trailer trying to scam me?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Sponsored By:
OregonMan

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/18 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys, so I got very excited because I thought I finally found a buyer for my trailer. He refers to himself as "Mr. Frost" and is older. They sent me a cashier's check for my trailer, which pays the full amount + shipping. However, the cashier's check looks to be from a different funding source other than Mr. Frost.

He says that he already has a shipping company to use called "Shippers Incorporated" and that the extra cash from the cashier's check will be used to pay the shipping company when they arrive because "they're an old company and only accept cash."

As much as I want to deposit this check, the scam hairs on my neck keep standing up. I've read of similar scams online where a buyer of something expensive e-mails you, is on the other side of the country (Mr. Frost is in Ohio) and they use their own shipping company.

The part that makes me think it might be legit is that we already have a cashier's check. If we deposit a cashier's check could they do a stop payment on it?

I'm really concerned about this guys. I haven't deposited the check, signed any paperwork or given the location of the trailer. So many parts of this deal match other scams... but we already have the cashier's check which is the one part that's different. Any thoughts please? Thank you!

2oldman

Farmington NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/18 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's likely a scam, but I don't see how depositing the check could hurt. IF it clears you're good...they can't claw back the money. I doubt it will.

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/18 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had someone pull the same exact thing on a classic car. Its a scam! Buyer sends you the fake check and buy the time it takes to clear you have paid a shipping company and lost your camper.
I called the bank on the check to verify and there was no such bank.
Tell him cash only.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

tnscoutr

Memphis, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/18 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not accept it. Tell him to take care of shipping himself. I am betting a scam.

06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
2015 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS

OregonMan

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/18 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

It's likely a scam, but I don't see how depositing the check could hurt. IF it clears you're good...they can't claw back the money. I doubt it will.

That's the part that gets me. I'm gonna go to the bank today. Every aspect of this feels like a scam EXCEPT we have the cashier's check already.

However, another scam I've heard of is that they pay you, use their own shipping company, then reroute the trailer after it's in the shipping company's hands and file a complaint saying they never received the trailer. However, I don't know how they could do that since we're not using a selling platform like eBay.

I'm asking the buyer for more information including their full name, address, and the full information on the shipping company before I deposit this check.

hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/18 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It likely could be a scam, the scenario you mention is a common scam. Have him wire the funds from his bank to yours. Work with your bank on how to do that... at least that is what I understand to be the best method.

kirkl

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/18 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scam, someone I know was selling a couch and it was the same scenario as yours, pay you and they setup shipping. It ended up costing him money somehow. Stay far away.

2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
Honda 2000 Generator

Sea Six

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/18 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask your bank how long it could possibly take before the cashiers check bounced due to any number of reasons.

You'll be surprised to hear what they have to say.

Be sure to talk to the branch manager or someone in charge, not just a line teller.

I'd tell him that he can pay with cashiers check for the agreed upon price and he is on his own for the shipping company charges.

And tell him that when your bank tells you the funds have absolutely cleared, the RV can leave your possession (and the same goes for the title).

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/18 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it to the bank and see what they say. I looked for Shippers Incorporated on the net and do not see them. The balls is in your court. Go cash the check and hold the TT until the bank says it cleared and the money is yours. They should be able to tell you right away.

PLEASE RE-POST WITH YOUR RESULTS, WE WILL BE WAITING

* This post was edited 08/24/18 12:14pm by Dennis12 *

Dennis Hoppert

OregonMan

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tnscoutr wrote:

I would not accept it. Tell him to take care of shipping himself. I am betting a scam.

Yeah I'm leaning toward scam. Sigh.. I've been trying to sell this trailer for MONTHS and finally thought I found someone. It's hard not to deposit such a large check when it's in your hands... but I keep getting this feeling that if I deposit this check, his "old shipping company that only accepts cash" will come to my house, take 7 grand in cash for shipping it to Ohio, then something weird will happen and we'll be forced to refund them for the trailer.

He said we'll need to sign "paperwork" with the shipping company. I'm guessing this states that we'll fully refund him if anything happens to the trailer.

MAN... what a bummer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Please help! Is this buyer of my trailer trying to scam me?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS