|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tapping in to house sewer lines

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
stevenlit

Keizer, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/02 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I'm lazy, but when I am returning home from a weekend jaunt or a two week marathon, I like to get home quickly. There are no public or pay dump sites within 10 miles of my house and none on my usual route home.

However, my home sewer line runs out from my house in a slight angle from perpendicular, under my front lawn going under the sidewalk about 10 feet from my driveway, and, I assume, connects to the city sewer line under the street.

My questions are, has anyone ever tapped in to their sewer line to add a "cleanout" close to the street so you could dump? Anyone know how deep a house sewer line might be buried according to code (Haven't dug a test yet)?

Thanks in advance for any information you might have.

Steve and Denice Little and "Cookie" a rescued 16 y/o Long Haired Doxie/Papillon mix
2001 40 Ft. Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser - Cummins ISC, Allison World HD, Spartan w/Granning IFS, Onan 7.5K QuietDiesel
2002 Chevy Tracker ZR2 - "The Pup"

Lone Eagle

Tremonton, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/02 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steven, There is no plumming code that says you can't do this. I would ask a local contractor what is involved in your area. They will know the code requirements also. Later! Lone Eagle

2002 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Juice 4.61 with MBRP 4" Exhaust
Racor Secondary Fuel Filter
ISSPRO Pyro & Boost Gauges
2002 Wildcat 27RL with
LT245X75X16 BFGs
B&W Turnover Ball

cwsoules

Columbia, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/02 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our clean out plug for our sewer drain is in our drive way, but when visiting friends I have used their plugs where ever they were located. I use a 11 gallon rolling tank so I can take our stuff anywhere to dump it. It does work best when the clean out is flush with the ground.

USN RET. 2001 Diesel Dodge Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. Miller Mfg Truck Bed Cover, with RBW hitch, and a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with one slide

NORM WADDELL

PENSACOLA FL 32514

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/02 04:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope your sewer line is at a slight
angle from the HORIZONTAL.

I had my plumber do this at my house.
The sewer line was about 6 inches under
the surface. It took him about 15 minutes,
and he installed a 4 inch diameter PVC
pipe, sticking up about 6 inches. He put
a 90 degree fitting on it since my motorhome
sewage hose is on the OTHER side of the motor
home from this fitting, and I insert a 4 inch
PVC pipe UNDER the motorhome into this fitting
AFTER I get parked. Works fine.

L NORMAN WADDELL
30 FOOT ALLEGRO
SATURN TOAD
WIFE AND 2 DOGS SUGAR BEAR & COCO BEAR

Yeti Shaman

Cape Canaveral, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/02 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The depth of your sewer line will depend on the depth of the main sewer line where your house sewer drain connects into the city sewer line.

As a general rule todays sewer lines are designed for a minium drop of 1/4" for each 10 foot of run.
Depth also sometimes considered to be below the frost line, to avoid winter freeze up.

My house has two flush clean outs in the driveway with PVC inside threaded plug caps .
Put in when house built 7 yrs ago per, local code .
Installed into the house PVC sewer lines using a " sweep " T fittings".

Cleanout nearest house has the "sweep" angle facing towards the house.

The one nearet the curb has the " sweep"
towards the sewer main.

When using the one near the curb to dump, I insert one of those some what funnel shapped foam rubber thingys in the pipe before inserting my RV sewer drain hose.
The I place some thing on the end to make sure the end connector will not "jump" out , from surges , when the draining sewage comes down the flexible dump line.
The foam thingy prevents any sewer gas from escaping.

Works for me .... sofar

Ron

Smax

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/02 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in a cold region, so messing with the sewer line would be a major undertaking.

I bought a macerator pump many years ago (I think from CW). I went to a local pool supply store and bought enough pool vacuum hose to reach from my driveway to the downstairs toilet. On one side of the pump I created a fitting for the pool hose. On the inlet side I connected a RV dump hose with fitting for trailer. I tapped into the 12v power and created a switch from some old electrical stuff laying around. The electrical outlet for it is inside the shoreline compartment where the 120v 30amp wire goes. (I think I got a 12v connector at a local car parts store).

I mounted the pump on a chunk of 2x6 for stability.

When we get home I pull the trailer in the driveway.

I set the pump on the ground near the sewer outlet.

Hook up the 12v and drain hose.

Walk the pool hose in the door and shove it in the toilet into the "S" as far as it will easily go.

I put my garden hose with toilet flush attachment into the trailer and begin filling the black tank. when it is pretty full I repeatedly turn the pump on and flush until it runs clear in the house.

I have been doing this for about 10 years. It has been an excellent solution for me, especially if you are in a situation that getting to the house sewer line is tough.

Only problem I ever had was someone accidentally put a tampon in the RV toilet during a trip. The pump jammed. It was a predicament I am sure to never get in again!

It was a fun project to build. I have even contemplated mounting under the trailer for use on the road, but, so far our adventures really don't require it.

2010 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew
2000 25' Sunnybrook
2010 Honda SH150

stevenlit

Keizer, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/02 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow!. Thank you all for the great replys and suggestions. JDS549. Yes, we have a cleanout nearly flush with the ground at the front of the house. It's about 30 feet away from the street and slightly upslope though, too much to get a drain going. My connection on the motor home is pretty low to the ground already. Smax. I have considered and will still consider a macerator. I read an article in Motorhome Mag about some folks that shipped a motorhome to Europe and traveled extensively. They commented that it was about the only way to go over there. If it looks like too much hassle to hook into my sewer drain line next to the street, I just might do it. Can you "pump" slightly up hill? Maybe a 1 foot rise. Cwsoules. I kinda hope to avoid the blue boy thing. Still, if all else fails, my Dad has a 25 gallon one on wheels I just might buy from him. Sadly, their camping days are almost over. Lone Eagle, Norm, Ron and Wagonman, thanks for the tips and info. Looks like a little exploratory digging and a trip to the hardware store are in order. I've done quite a bit of PVC work. Now, if I can just get my wife to turn her back while I dig up her lawn! [grin] Thanks again everybody.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

wagonman76

Northwest Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/02 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did this at my house last weekend. My septic line goes straight down into the dirt below the house. I dug away a few inches of dirt to find the cleanout right next to where the pipe enters the ground. The cleanout wouldnt be much help under the house.

So I cut a section out of the vertical septic pipe as low as I could, and fit a PVC tee. Then I cut a hole where the house sits on the foundation at ground level, and ran 25 feet of PVC from the septic line to outside the house. I had to use different fittings to get around the furnace and water softener.

Outside, I installed a cleanout adapter. I used the extra 5 feet as a screw-in extension so I can get closer to the RV, then remove the extension and install the cap when Im done.

I got to try it a few times this week as I flushed out my fresh water system and tanks. It works really nice. The whole pipe is at a 7 to 8 degree downslope. When Im done I flush it out with the garden hose just for safetys sake that I wont have any clogs later.

I couldve used only 10 feet of pipe and come out the other side of the house, but the ground outside is sloped and the RV wouldve been below the pipe outlet. Where it is now, the RV is above the pipe outlet so everything flows downward.

---
1989 Sunline Saturn 16' T-1661, Reese WD hitch
2000 Haulmark Cub 5x8, Pontiac alloy wheels
Both w/ Carlisle Hydrastar & custom disc brakes
---
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport SE, Tekonsha Envoy
1990 Pontiac 6000 SE Wagon, custom snowplow

JDS549

SPEARMAN, TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/02 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STEVE you probably already have a cleanout plug.
find it and do adaption so you can use it.
enjoy

JERRY FROM TEXAS
I "NEED" A FREIGHTLINER
1999 F250, DIESEL,AUTO, 3.73, 265'S
2000 27 CARDINAL
BIG DOG AND (MEAN LITTLE DOG)
(ALL OUTGOING VIRUS CHECKED)

Betty Boo

Tucson, Arizona & Tumwater, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/02 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is a rolling tank? Is it something you can carry with you while on the road and use to clean out the black water?

Betty

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tapping in to house sewer lines
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS