RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Truck - T.T. - Boat ??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Truck - T.T. - Boat ??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Out4Dux

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/03 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok here is the dilemma;

1.) Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 (5.4L AT)

2.) 18' Road Ranger TT ~ 3,500 lbs

3.) 14' jon boat, motor, trailer 900 lbs

Can I tow all together? Before you answer...I have a frame mounted hitch on the trailer, I use weight distribution hitch for camper, and will make certain that all tongue weights are with-in recommended limits. I have found that tandem is legal in California (Primary Residence), but can't find a definitive on tandem bumper pulls. Does anyone out there do this, please help?

2001 Supercrew 5.4 4x4
1994 18' Road Ranger (KIT)

chadly

Racine, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/03 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In some states, yes. In most states NO. Unless you have a 5th wheel, then it is ok. Most states allow this as long as you are under a certain length (60ft usually).

Me and the Wife
Emma - 8
Jacob - 5
Dog - Molly -11

1998 Itasca Spirit 31WT
2006 Pontiac Vibe

Our webpage
Our camping and family pictures

Madman

Huntington Beach, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/03 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out4dux,
In our State you need to have a 5th wheel to pull your boat. Towing behind a ball mounted TT is a no-no. I'm in the same dilema as you. I have 16 ft runabout, but cant take it. My recommendation is do what I did. I bought a 10'2" Zodiac. It will hold 4 people if your just fartin around. It will haul 2 people super comfortable with gear. These new Zodiac's have an Air floor which allows a 250# person to stand upright and not flex the boat. It has an air keel with stabilizing stringers which keep it from yawing in the wind. These things are awesome, very durable. You can lift the motor and get deep into the blinds. Almost no draft. Oars are mounted to the side which allow you to push off in the thick. These boats deflate and roll up to 3'x2'x18" and weigh only 55 lbs. You can lock them up in your trailer or take them around in the back of your truck. They no longer have the roll up wood floors. It's all air and very strong. We love ours.

Danny

95 F350 4X4 CC,SRW,PSD,4:10, Built E40D,w/ Custom built torque converter, steel upgraded planets, shift kit, stall, B&M trans pan w/ 3 extra quarts of fluid, Amsoil in trans, Trucool 24K trans cooler, 4" Superlift Suspension, 16.5X9.75 Weld Super Singles w/ B.F.G 35X12.50x16.5, Isspro Digital Pyro (Pre-Turbo), Autometer Ultra-Lite Boost, and Trans gauge in triple A-pillar pod, Banks Down Pipe, Banks Big Hoss Chip, Custom Billet Grill w/ Hella Driving Lights, Rancho RS9000 w/ Double Stabilizers, Flared Fenders & Running Boards, Ported Snorkel, K&N Filter, Coolant Eye, 203*Thermostat, Line a Bed, Wood Grain Dash/Interior.

2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 7.3L PSD, 3:73
Stock For Now, But Not For Long!

2002 31G Fleetwood-Wilderness Travel Trailer
Northwest Edition, All Options,with Full
Dinette/Sofa Super Slide,T105's/Honda EU2000I

Horse Doctor

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/03 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The idea of towing tandem scares the heck out of me. I can just see what would happen in the case of a panic stop. TT going one way, boat going the other.

Michael and Mona Greenlee + TJ the wonder dog
2003 Bigfoot 29G
2012 F150 STX 4x4 toad

wolfe59

Warner Robins, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/03 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This won't help you any but I thought it looked pretty weird. I travel I-75 alot and I was headed south the other day and in the North bound lane was a big Wanderlodge, hitched to the Wanderlodge was a Explorer and hitched to the Explorer was a Bayliner boat. Looked pretty strange but d**n I was jealous!!

hydehunter

Sacto.Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/03 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out4Dux, you can tow a boat behind a TT. What Calif. now requires as Jan 1 2001 is to have a class A license with a doubles endorsement you will have to take the same written test as a 18 wheeler driver would take,along with a driving test then they will restrict your license to gross vehicule weight e-mail me and I will send you my phone # kahiggs@hotmail for more info

Sgeorge

El Cajon, Calif

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/03 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have almost the same set up as yours. I had a rack built to fit my Supercrew and I carry my 14' boat on top of the truck. I have been doing this for two years and it works great. I have probably driven 10,000 miles with this set up. The hardest part is getting the boat on/off the rack, but a company with the name I beleive is Aidie Boat Racks make an automatic loader. I have seen them work, its great. I don't have one yet, but I'm stil fairly young and can just lift my boat on to the rack. My boat weighs about 200 pounds. The boat bow first acts like and air dam for the trailer. I cannot tell any difference towing with or without the boat.
I wouldn't feel comfortable towing anything behind my trailer.

2013 Springdale 232SRT
2008 F150 Supercrew

Madman

Huntington Beach, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/03 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hydehunter,
Everything you said is applicable, but you cannot tow behind a ball mounted TT. You can tow behind a 5th wheel TT, but not a ball mounted TT.

Danny

Jack B. Nimble

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/03 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out4,

I go for Fiche not Dux, but the problem is the same. You can buy a rack to carry the boat on the truck (without the boat trailer). I have been carrying a 3.4m Avon inflatable on the back of my truck (fully inflated with the bow up over the cab on a rack I made). The outboard is carried in the bed of the pickup. I use launch wheels to move it around on the ground. Your boat may be a wee bit heavy for that (?).

Now, however, I have a larger wooden boat with a trailer that I plan to carry on the back of the truck in place of the Avon. The trailer will be pulled up on the truck by a winch with the wheels on a pair of portable ramps and the tonque sliding on a center channel. Tied down to hard points on the truck, this will be quite secure. This method avoids any conflict with double towing laws.

I have seen this type of setup a half dozen times with different hardware. It seems there is no commerical rack for this (I have not been able to find any). So you will have to build it yourself if you want to carry the boat trailer too.

Jack

RTD

NWO Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/03 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in the same boat (no pun intended), and simply bought a boat rack for the truck.

2007 Ram 1500 HEMI
2008 Jayco 28BHS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Truck - T.T. - Boat ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: