|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tank chemicals

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
dminz

roads of North America

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/03 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dutifully did a search and this subject has not come up recently. What chemicals do you use? I'm using Odorless but I understand that it does not contain feces-eating bacteria, but only gives bacteria a food source.

I've heard that Drain Power is good, cheap, and readily available at Ace Hardware stores. Contains a lot of hungry bacteria. Anyone have experience with it?

2003 F-350 Lariat, 6.0L PSD auto, CC, 4x2, SRW, LB, 3.73LS. 2003 Carriage Cameo LXI F34CK3 (5th wheel), 2 ac, fireplace, MorRyde suspension, Motosat satellite Internet/TV dish, Trailair pin box.

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/03 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Dean: Your black water holding tank is exactly that. It is not meant to be a septic system where effluent is completely broken down. The most you can hope for is to start the decomposition process using an enzyme or bacteria-based product, suppress the odors caused by anerobic bacteria and ultimately dump the tanks when they are 2/3-3/4 full (or when the camping trip is completed) into an actual sewer/septic system.

There are many tank treatments available. The key is not to introduce formaldahyde into the system. The reason is, while formaldahyde is efficient in keeping odors down (it kills both anaerobic and aerobic bacteria, effectively "pickling" the waste) it will also kill bacteria and enzymes in public dumping stations and other septic systems which are needed to complete the decomposition process.

Some folks use bacteria/enzyme-based Rid-X in their systems (they checked with the manufacturer and the claim is that it is safe for RV tanks), but the majority, including myself, use enzyme-only based products, use plenty of water when flushing, flush and rinse the tanks when dumping, and have not had problems with clogs or odors. If Drain Power is similar to Rid-X and is safe for RV (plastic) tanks, then I'd say that's as good an answer as any.

Hope this helps.

Lou Leopold
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad, SWB, 3.55:1, Rhino Lining
2000 25' Mallard M-23 5M 5th Wheel
Husky 15K w/EZ slider
Wen PowerPro 3500 Generator in a sound box
And I continue to tent camp!

Road Runners

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/03 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LLeopold speaks with knowledge. I agree totally with what has been said.

From experience I speak here. I suggest that you use a powdered chemical that comes in the little packages rather than the liquid.
If a liquid container gets punctured and leaks you got a real mess.

So, rather that take all the storage precautions needed for a liquid chemical, we buy it in the powdered form.

'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

millietom

Winston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/03 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used Drain Power for over a year and it the only product I have used since I bought my new 5th. wheel.

I think it is great product at a low price. I use it in my black water tank and in my grey water tanks when I am not emptying them every day.

Tom

fchammer1

FL, PA & points in between

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/03 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two very good articles on holding tank treatments appear in the May/June issue of Escapees Magazine. Try to locate a copy as the various offerings are broken down into two groups: those containing poisons (anything from formaldehyde to insecticide to fertilizer [into which category Odorlos falls]); and those that are basically enzyme or bacteria based.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

d3215

Farmington, Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/03 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not notice anyone mentioning ECO-SAVE. They have a website, I think it is www.eco-save.com. They have a dry chem for black tanks. Comes in a jar about the size of a cold cream jar. Comes with a little scoop, one per tank, then add 3 to 5 gallons of water. Says the jar will take care of 30-40 tanks. Their phone number is (800)-999-2847. The owner is only to glad to spend considerable time with you to answer your questions. EcoSave is made up of "billions" of bacteria. Call them they do a better job explaining. I have never had smells in my New Horizon.

The Hunter

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/03 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Artic Fox dealer told me when picking up my new trailer that I must use Therford "blue" product or the warranty could be voided if I used another product. So I have got the dry packets to add to the black tank. I don't like the little bottles that can and with my luck, WILL leak at the most inconvient time. What is your take on this?? I think it has something to do with the tank level sensors.

True or just a bunch of "crap"?

"Never bring a boxcutter to a Jihad, you may get more than you bargained for ..."

arrow_rookie

Plymouth, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/03 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ditto on the eco-save that d3215 posted. I have used the liquid form of eco-save for 3 years with zero problems/odors.

2003 F250 V-10 4x2 4.30 axle
2001 Sunnybrook 27FKS
Hensley Arrow

Stan Birch

Newmarket, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/03 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

>What chemicals do you use?

I don't use ANY chemicals; nor are they in any way needed!

If yer toilet stinks, then expend the effort to solve the problem, rather than tossing away $$$ in an effort to mask the problem.

By far, the most common problem with stinky, focuses upon the fact that most RVers don't understand that their toilets incorporate a stink-trap. These traps are usually filled via spilling water though the overflow outlets of the toilet. If the traps are empty, then one could reasonably expect that their toilets will smell like ****!

'99 Winnebago Adventurer 32T, Ford V-10
'00 Yamaha XT 225

Headhunter

Monroe, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/03 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be living in our 5th wheel for an extended time while building our house. Black water will dump into our septic system. I have heard that traditional RV chemicals are not good for a septic system. Has anyone been in a similar situation, and what products would you recommend?

Jeanine Kern
2005 Logan Coach Qualifier 100x 8' LQ
2003 Ford F350 6.0 diesel King Ranch DRW

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tank chemicals
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts