I haven't picked up a stock stick or taken the dogs out to herd since we lost Buddy. Just haven't felt like it. Watching your runs has sort of reminded me of the good times with Buddy, and how I need to get back out there with the youngsters.
Funny, that's the second photo I've seen today of an A-frame covered in snow!
Congrats on your rankings...it takes a strong team to have that level of consistency.
Buddy (now at the Bridge) ran NADAC as a Skilled Veteran until just shy of his 10th birthday - we don't get many NADAC trials around here. He was running AKC at 8 inches (regular height) as late as July of this past year, about a month before he started showing symptoms of his cancer.
Diva hasn't run any agility since October, when I fell and did a number on my ankle. Still haven't been cleared to run by my Dr.
Congratulations! Diva and I track too. I'll probably get her certified later this winter...she's not quite ready but should be soon.
One of my go-to places to track right now is an empty lot in the middle of an industrial park near me. Because of a recent ankle injury, though, I've needed to avoid uneven ground, so we did some shorter motivational tracks on the lawn that abuts that empty field...it belongs to a local uniform supply company. One day the plant manager comes out to ask what I'm doing.... I answer training my dog to track... he asks if that is like Search and Rescue... I say....sort of the basic building blocks.... he says fine, I can use the property any time I want. I suppose I need to send a tray of cookies to that company's break room when she gets her TD ;)
Sorry about the lamb. We have a big Basque population around here, and thus see a lot of Pyrs out in the fields. I know a couple of people who have started using Anatolians ...one here in CA and another in AZ. Both are really happy with their LDGs.
Hope one of the dogs you're looking at works out.
So sorry about Buddy. We know what you are going through, it's been about a year since we lost Jill to liver cancer (probably metastatic hemangiosarcoma). She went downhill really fast and we faced the same situation and made the same decision. Really hard!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Doug & Sandy
Thank you. When they did the initial fine needle aspirate, the sample was to small to determine anything other than "likely cancerous" but the internal medicine specialist didn't want to take a larger sample, fearing a bleed. Reflecting back on the events of the last 24 hours, hemangiosarcoma seemed a likely culprit. He was getting better, gaining musicle back, growing more active. Then a little quieter on Saturday. No dinner Saturday night. No breakfast Sunday morning. By Sunday afternoon clearly restless, and decision was made then to take him in as soon as the regular vet opened this morning for some Tramadol (we had previously discussed this with his internist, what to do when scenarios). Then around midnight he began to crash. ER Vet was certain he was bleeding internally. I'm thankful that he gave us a black-and-white "it's time" rather than slowly fading away, but heartbroken. He was truly my soulmate.
I've been away from this forum for quite a while. Our trailer has sat unused for quite a while because the reason we use it, to travel to dog trials of various sorts, is on hold. Buddy, the best friend I've ever had in my life, is two weeks short of his 11th birthday, and has been diagnosed with cancer in his liver.
Chemo is not an option. It may be resectable, and we are in the process of setting up a CT scan to confirm that. But the most likely outcome is that my days with my buddy, Buddy are numbered. I've lost a lot of great dogs over the years. None come even close to the heartache of this one.
After losing Pippin last fall, we have added a new boy to our pack. He's actually been with us since April, just getting around to posting about it.
Anyways, this is Dexter. He is very people-oriented - really loves a good cuddle. He is also an active puppy, taking puppy foundation agility classes, learning manners and foundation skills for obedience work, and going to handling classes. When he is a little older he will start with his sheepies...many of his relatives are successful not only as trial competition dogs, but also as working cattle ranch dogs.
With so much negativity in the world right now, it's nice to see a story where things get better.
One of the wildfires burning in CA at the moment forced the evacuation of our herding trainer's ranch. The flock (70 head) was quickly loaded and trailered the BC brought them in from the field, but the GSD and Terv took care of loading the smoke-panicked sheep. They got down off of the mountain, one load at a time. They were moved from the general large animal evacuation to a friend's property the next day, and will be staying there till the all clear.
I would only add one question. When the generator is running in the truck bed, have you made sure that that exhaust isn't coming up into the 5er? I know of one of those "mobile grooming" outfits that didn't make that provision with very sad consequences.
Once you've addressed that, so long as you have adequate temperature control and a reasonably smooth ride, I think you've got all of your bases covered.
I'm all about the safety of a hard-sided crate for use in a vehicle. But, for an evacuation situation for a couple of little guys like your Chis, I would buy a couple of the soft-sided carriers used as airline carryon pet carriers. The Sherpa or Sturdibag brands are the best made, but you can also get knock-offs at Walmart. They are small, have a shoulder strap for quick getaway, and also have a zippered pouch where you can store an emergency food ration, any meds, some pickup bags, etc.
Do teach your dogs how to go into them without putting up a fight. Once you hear the tornado siren you don't have time to negotiate! Feeding them their meals in there with the door unzipped is a great way to make them like the bag.