Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: WHERE IS OBD CONNECTOR

Posted By: mchammer on 05/16/05 08:42pm

I have a friend who just bought a 1998 4 Winds, 30' Infinity on a Ford chassis. I have called 4 Winds, Ford, and local dealer, and no one can tell me where the OBD connector is. We have searched under the dash to no avail. One mechanic says it might be on the firewall, but didn't see it there either. Does anyone have one of these and can tell me where to look for the OBD connector? Thanks.

Marvin Hammer
2007 Allegro Bus QSP
06 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

Posted By: Pirate on 05/16/05 08:50pm

There is a good chance it is still EEC-IV connector/system and not OBD-II. Look in the doghouse, left side, upper. It will be a triangle type connector, a big one. You can get a cheap EEC tester/reader at an auto parts joint.

Posted By: Don & Linda on 05/16/05 08:51pm

Look for a taped up bulge in a main wiring harness. Don't untape it, just look closely. Ive found the OBDII port on several built over chassis tucked out of the way and taped to the wire harness it came out of. Seems the chassis mfg intended it to be mounted for convenience, but the coach building folks just wanted it, out of their way.

Sorry if this post seems long, I lacked the time to make it shorter.
almost quote from S.L. Clemens

Don & Linda

1st RV UL EMS 4s Dome
2nd RV 21' AMF Scamper TT PV D300 Dodge
3rd RV National Seabreeze 133LX w/Demco Dolly
4th RV Jayco 2450 5TH PV Ford F-250 SD

Posted By: Self63 on 05/16/05 09:12pm

Don't know about a 1998 4 Winds, 30' Infinity but on my 1998 Vectra it is mounted under the dash board below and to the left of the steering column.

Posted By: daybreak 2001 on 05/16/05 09:51pm

Could someone tell me what is an OBD connector please?

Posted By: mchammer on 05/16/05 10:01pm

It's a "On Board Diagnostic" connector which you can hook a computer in to and retrieve info on engine and transmission from the on board computer such as stored trouble codes, etc.

Posted By: daybreak 2001 on 05/16/05 10:03pm

mchammer wrote:

It's a "On Board Diagnostic" connector which you can hook a computer in to and retrieve info on engine and transmission from the on board computer such as stored trouble codes, etc.
Thank you

Posted By: 96Bounder30E on 05/16/05 10:22pm

My 1996 F53 still has the OBD I........it is located on the left side of the dog house cover inside the engine compartment......it is black with a plastic cover over the contacts

Posted By: Parrotguy on 05/16/05 11:35pm

To do a smog test in CA now, you have to plug the diagnostic machine into the OBD connector. I took my 2000 Pace Arrow/ Ford chassis in for a smog and it took the mechanic an hour to find it. It was tucked up underneath the dash, almost touching the steering column, on the right side facing forward. It took the mechanic 20 minutes to make a connection and another 20 minutes to disconnect it, because it was almost impossible to get under there, and the connector would not move away from the steering column. He had to remove some of the screws holding the dash in place, then pull it forward and while holding it out, make the connection. Good luck!

Gary Palmer

Posted By: 96Bounder30E on 05/17/05 12:04am

Funny you mention the CA smog check.......my last smog check the mechanic could not find the OBD connector so he connected the machine to a suburban sitting just outside the building...

Posted By: mhend12 on 05/17/05 05:44am

Those connectors are hard to find and even harder to use. I take out the two screws that hold them to steering column and wire tie them to harness leaving enough to grab and connect. Most eec 4 connectors are on left side of engine(drivers side) under dog house.

Mike and Alicia and Penny and Poppy the shelties
06 F350 CC Long bed 6.0
04 Laredo 29GS

Print  |  Close