RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Lookin' for Tires - 8.75 R 16.5 - Any Suggestions?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lookin' for Tires - 8.75 R 16.5 - Any Suggestions?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
johnsey22

Columbus

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/05 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am needing to purchase new tires but am having a hard time trying to find my size. (8.75 R 16.5) I have Ameri550 AS LT M+S on right now but I need new ones. Eventually I will upgrade my rims to 16", making my search easier, but for now I can only afford tires. If any one has suggestions of tire brands or sources where I can get a good deal, I would greatly appreciate the info. I want something that has good tread wear, Load D or E, and that doesn't cost a whole lot since I'm needing to purchase 6. I would like to be able to get tires with a warranty of some sort since I travel from state to state. (I have a warranty from Wal-mart for my car tires which covers road hazard/flat repair, rotaion, balance, ect. for the life of my tires) Since Wal-Mart and places like Sears are in every state, I would have one close if I had any problems with the tires. Thanks in advance for your comments. Jill

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/05 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cooper SRM II tires are very good and have nationwide service. Any questions about the tire, call Cooper Tire Consumer Relations: 1-800-854-6288

Ken

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

firedude

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/05 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Full-timing forum.**

jdcone

Riverside, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/05 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try Kelly's too. They're right up there with Cooper's.

Owners of Bob the Wonder Dog, and a bunch of other useless stuff.
1999 22' Tioga class C

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/05 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use USA made Coopers, but not that size. IMO just do NOT get anything made in China, especially nothing made by Carlisle! Also remember to get new metal valve stems.

I always agree ahead with store that tires will be less than 6 months old per DOT label before I order them. There are some great deals out there, so I've read, where people are selling tires that are already several years old. Since they have never been sold, they are "new". Your choice.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

cruising7388

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/05 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=johnsey22]I am needing to purchase new tires but am having a hard time trying to find my size. (8.75 R 16.5) I have Ameri550 AS LT M+S on right now but I need new ones. Eventually I will upgrade my rims to 16", making my search easier, but for now I can only afford tires. By all means confirm this, but I dimly recall that the 8.75 x 16.5 wheel is split wheel construction and not too revered.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/05 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdcone wrote:

Try Kelly's too. They're right up there with Cooper's.
Kelly is one of Goodyear's brand names. I think Goodyear has let their quality slip over the years. I do like their new TripleTred car tires and SilentArmor light truck tires.

Ken

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/05 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to second Chuck, be _real_ sure that you're not sold 'old' tires that have been sitting in the warehouse.... 'aging' ain't good for tires, and odd sizes may have been made a while back.

Jim, "When you're holding all the cards, why does everybody suddenly decide to play chess?"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

mtnstarman

Piney Woods

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/05 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the risk of being stoned to death by rabid Firestone haters, your size in load range E is available from Firestone. They used to be called Steeltex tires (not included in the Ford Explorer Steeltex disaster a few years ago), but I think the name has been changed. I've had them on my MH for two years now with no problems, but I religiously watch the tire pressure. They sell for around $115 and if not in stock can be ordered to arrive in only a couple of days. My rims are marked for radial tires and are not split rims. Let the stoning begin.

NREMTP

Channahon, IL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/05 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was able to get an unusual sized set of tires for my trailer at a small, local chain tire store. The price ended up being a bargain as well. The tires are nearly ready for replacement due to age, but the tread looks good as new. I suggest calling the dealers in your area using the yellow pages, and not just the big names.
I found some information on your situation on this web site: http://www.gmcws.org/Tech/TireSafety/
A quote that is pretty significant is: "Wheel: All GMC's were delivered with 16.5" steel wheels and 8.75 16.5 bias ply tire from 1971 through 1975. Starting in 1976, 8.75R 16.5 radial tires with radial steel wheels were a major option, but some vehicles were still delivered with the bias ply tire and wheel combination. Steel wheels for radial tires are all stamped "RADIAL" on the outer rim and were designed to resist the larger wheel loads created by the radial tires. Radial tires mounted on non-radial approved rims can cause wheel cracking resulting in slow or even rapid pressure loss. This is a major safety issue."
It would appear that you need to stick to bias ply tires until you can afford to replace the rims.

Bob & Kathi
1984 24' Prowler BH, kinda heavy, but mostly because I like to "be prepared"
2004 Trailblazer V-8
BrakeSmart Controller

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lookin' for Tires - 8.75 R 16.5 - Any Suggestions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS