|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Fixing Aluminum Siding

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
masoncgy

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/05 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey there, new to the forum!

I have a 1979 Vanguard 18.5 ft tandem axle trailer that I picked up last summer for a great price and really have enjoyed using it. However, I'd like to touch it up a bit cosmetically so I can enjoy it even more for years to come.

On the exterior, there are a couple siding panels that have taken a couple good sized dents. I'd like to either straighten out the dents if possible, or just replace the pieces, depending on cost, etc...

My question is, how hard is it to access and remove the siding from the exterior shell?

Any tips or information you can provide is appreciated, thanks!

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/05 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is a site where you can get all types of diff sideing but i dont have a name or link but have seen it posted befor maybe some one who knows it will see this tread,all mine are rivited together thru aluminum framework,i just drill out the old rivits,dont know about yours,i would think it would be hard to straighten out dents in aluminum unless your good at it and have some special tools.

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

bvail

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/05 11:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All-rite is one of the better know sites to obtain RV exterior panels, doors, windows, etc. Most aluminum panels are locked into the one above/below.

1997 Fleetwood Bounder
2008 Harley FLHTCUI anniversary edition
Kipor KGE3000Tc

rodnok1

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/05 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very difficult to find exact replacment and can be very challenging to remove siding. You have to remove everything from the area and remove siding from the bottom up. If they are just dents see if you can pop them out with suction cup or if the dents are located were there is a cupboard or hidden space inside, try drilling a small hole and using a dowl rod to push them out from inside. You could also use a slide hammer from outside, drill a series of small holes and be gentle. Of course then you need to fill those holes, not the best looking either.

2004 Skyline Nomad Travel Trailer
Model 3090 30ft

rrich

SE Pa

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/05 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced a panel in mine over the summer but I HAD to. For cosmetic reasons on an older TT I don't think it would be worthwhile. There is an amazingly large number of panel patterns and widths and color shades. Even if you can find the correct replacement (unlikely), the color won't come even close to matching due to age and fading of your originals. I was able to replace mine without taking all the panels below it off but I had to remove the front corner molding and the door frame. It wasn't easy!

98 Dakota 5.2 5spd (heavily modified)
03 Trailcruiser 19RDB

okanagan bc

Penticton,BC.Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/05 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First determine if they are stapled to studs or glued to the exterior wall panel. Either way you have to start at the bottom and work up till you get to the panel you want to replace. Be careful not to damage the good panels when removing them. Try local RV dealers for a supplier of Metal panels. CLR on Glenmore would probably have names.

Bill 720

Lawton, Ok, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/05 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi: I don't think I would touch it just for dents. I'd try the suction cup thing to see it they would pop out. Other than that, I'd live with it. Bill

masoncgy

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/05 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alright... well, sounds like it's not worth the trouble on the old unit... but I'll at least attempt with the suction cup routine... we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Fixing Aluminum Siding
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS