Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Tag Axle

Posted By: Ginnie22 on 03/01/07 09:13pm

I am looking at upgrading our motorhome and have found some that have two rear axles and I understand the second one is called a tag axle.

We have heard pros and cons regarding the "tag axle."

Does anyone have any comments either way?

Thank you

Stan Garrison
Ginnie22@mchsi.com

Posted By: Fulltimingman on 03/01/07 10:02pm

The tag axle is used in heavier motorhomes to add carrying capacity. The tag also adds directional stability. I have had both and really like the tag axle.

Michael Day
Newell Coach
PT Cruiser Turbo
Native Texans

Posted By: craig7h on 03/02/07 02:37am

I have to agree, the added brakes,stability,carrying capacity out weigh the added maintenance cost

Craig
06 RAM 3500 diesel power
08 35' Cardinal

Posted By: Acampingwewillgo on 03/01/07 11:06pm

Just hold on to your wallet when it comes to replacing tires....LoL Ok OK...thats just a joke, whats two more tires anyways.

96 Vogue Prima Vista 37' CAT 3176B
Our Babies: Mollie, Cassie and Maggie, all rescued King Charles Spaniels, Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie, Scoutie, Katie, Cooper, Kodie and our sweet Rubie RIP kids!

Rally's and get togethers.....Lots

Posted By: tom_kat on 03/01/07 10:11pm

i like the tag also ,just a little more maintance to do.

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

Posted By: Bronco4me on 03/02/07 12:44am

Sure it's two more tires to help with the load, but it's also two more brakes...and that sure is nice when the hills get long and steep. Tag for the win!

Bronco

1992 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 33CSXS
2005 Yukon Denali
1990 Bronco XLT Fishin' wagon

Posted By: LVJ58 on 03/02/07 10:23pm

Quote:

A 35' 2000 Ford doesn't have them or need them and has 19.5" wheel and better brakes.

Our 2000 37'8" coach on the F53 chassis has tags and I would suspect it probably needs them. The extra brakes on the tags help also.

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Posted By: Big Katuna on 03/02/07 08:45am

I have a different take on this. If your talking about a DP with tags, its probably over 40', fine, enjoy.

If your talking a 90's gas coach, esp the Ford, they had to put tags on 35 footers because the chassis was totally maxed without it. These chassis had 16" wheels, overloaded axles and brakes having had one, highly recommend against them and wish someone had warned me off of them. A 35' 2000 Ford doesn't have them or need them and has 19.5" wheel and better brakes.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Posted By: Ivylog on 03/02/07 06:43am

I'd do a search on tag axle and then RR10S.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Posted By: Locomotiveman on 03/02/07 06:13pm

Wish I had a Tag-Axle. Any cons? Ya lose one lower bay area. TOM

Locomotiveman..Yes I am a career cross-country Locomotive Engineer. Wife is an RN. We are CLOSE to retiring and 'downsized' to a Monaco Executive w/450hp Cummins and nice drapes. Locomotiveman

Posted By: twoeagles on 03/02/07 08:22am

there are no cons to a tag axle.

2006 monaco signature
range rover toad

Posted By: CertifiedFunds on 03/02/07 08:19am

Get the tag!

'06 45' Tiffin Zephyr
'05 F350 Toad
DW Tammy & Son Gage

Posted By: UltimaRV on 03/02/07 02:43am

Then there are steerable and liftable tags.

Dian, Robert & Precious (taking a break - see profile)
2000 45' Featherlite 5000, tag, slide, Detroit Series 60
2006 19' Towcorp enclosed trailer w/60" tongue
2004 13' Ultima GTR (9.9 seconds standing quarter mile)

Posted By: Jwasnewski on 03/02/07 09:41pm

Locomotiveman wrote:

Wish I had a Tag-Axle. Any cons? Ya lose one lower bay area. TOM

I have plenty of room. Big Iron and love it.

LAE

Posted By: LVJ58 on 03/03/07 08:14am

Big Katuna, OK, I agree

Jim

Posted By: buchrob on 03/03/07 10:32pm

twoeagles wrote:

Not as far as current or recent DP's are concerned.

However, some 80-90's model-year gassers had tag axles added to frames that weren't designed by the chassis manufacturer to support the weight.

'99 Glendale Royal Expedition 24' Class C
2003 Subaru WRX wagon as toad.

Posted By: DaveMac on 03/04/07 01:24am

A tag axle adds a ton of weight to the MoHo and allows you to carry another ton -- this combined total of 4000 lbs. then overloads most gassers so bad they can barely pull any mountain pass!
JMHO

2007 FIESTA LX
TRITON V-10 & JEEP LIBERTY TOAD
3 TIMES RETIRED
CH. 13 "BLACKJACK"

Posted By: rnabors on 03/04/07 02:21pm

twoeagles wrote:

I wouldn't agree with such a broad generalization.

The purpose of a tag is added carrying capacity and if you have a larger or heavier coach this makes the tag essential.

Plus a tag looks really cool.

If you find a well built single axle that has plenty of CCC you might not want a tag axle.

A well designed and balanced single axle will ride and handle nearly as well as a tag axle coach.

As far as disadvantages:

You must buy 2 additional tires and even liftable tags have greater tire wear on the tag axle.

You have additional brake maintenance and if the tag is liftable the lift mechanism will require additional maintenance.

The tag adds considerable weight.

The tag takes away at least one storage bay on each side.

If the tag is not liftable you will have less traction in slippery conditions, even if it is liftable you will still loose some traction as the tag will not stay lifted above a certain speed.

On some uneven surfaces you could get the drive wheels off the ground.

I am not against tag axle coaches. In fact if we move to a 42" it will certainly have a tag axle.

My point is that there are some potential down side issues with a tag that a potential buyer should be aware of in order to make an informed decision.

Ron and Linda
2004 40' Ultimate Advantage
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

Posted By: Big Katuna on 03/03/07 07:58am

I specified 35'. Your 38' coach has one because it needs one. My 38' DP doesn't.

Posted By: Jim@HiTek on 03/04/07 11:37am

Jim@HiTek wrote:

If you ski, or wander off the beaten track, tags take some weight off of the driven axle so you can get stuck easier and have more trouble getting unstuck. (Some newer tags allow you to pull them up off the road).

Plus the extra costs, weight, etc.

twoeagles wrote:

I see jim@hitec that you do not have a tag.
most all of the newer rigs the tag can be lifted as you make sharp turns to save the tires.
I would assume that the getting stuck problem you mention, that I have never had, raising the tag would eliminate the problem.
what you are talking about is a real stretch to find fault with a tag.

Older tags don't allow for lifting them. And some people buy used...

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

Posted By: Jim@HiTek on 03/04/07 08:47am

If you ski, or wander off the beaten track, tags take some weight off of the driven axle so you can get stuck easier and have more trouble getting unstuck. (Some newer tags allow you to pull them up off the road).

Plus the extra costs, weight, etc.

Posted By: twoeagles on 03/04/07 09:41am

I see jim@hitec that you do not have a tag.
most all of the newer rigs the tag can be lifted as you make sharp turns to save the tires.
I would assume that the getting stuck problem you mention, that I have never had, raising the tag would eliminate the problem.
what you are talking about is a real stretch to find fault with a tag.

Posted By: CertifiedFunds on 03/05/07 09:08am

The only negative about a tag axle is if you dont have one.

Posted By: joppa on 03/04/07 07:47am

Typically you see Tags on DP 40' or greater in size. We wanted the benefts of a tag as we plan to go fulltime. We did not want to lose storage so looked primarily at 45 footers. Ended up with a 42'. Plenty of storage and a Tag axle for better tracking and greater carrying capacity.

"...for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"
Robert Louis Stevenson

2007 Foretravel Nimbus
Cummins ISM 500HP
Allison MH4000w/Retarder

Print  |  Close