|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD - questions and opinions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
TDInewguy

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/08 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have decided to start a new thread, as the old one was getting polluted with a lot of stuff - 11 pages that is!

So I've put a deposit down on this coach -

it's a 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD.

- original owner
- mostly stored outside (exterior is a bit faded and the vinyl stickers are in rough shape)
- Interior is VERY nice - overall clean and no foul odors
- Drives very well
- Dash heat does work well with outdoor temps at 30 degrees F

Winnebago is a slightly favored coach being that the factory is about 2 hours from my home. The coach is a very nice one but it does have a few little things that need to be fixed or looked at, so what i'm hoping to get some help on here is to get a grasp on what these things might cost to fix.

So here's the list:

- windshield is chipped with a small crack. (will insurance cover?)
- The motorized sofa needs a little "help" getting back up from a bed position. it works fine bit I just have to give it a hand to get started.
- the step cover works fine closing, but needs help opening
- the front leveling jacks are not fully synchronized, when I push up for the front, the right side starts first.
- Roof Caulking probably needs going over - it's not in bad shape, but I'd like to re-do this as preventative.
- The outside stickers - Vinyl are peeling off of the drivers side
- Bathroom vent isn't in good shape
- the TV squeaks going over bumps
- The door rattles a bit going down the road
- A few of the LED's dont register for the holding tanks
- Tires have plenty of tread, but are getting old
- Day/night shade at dining booth doesn't stay up

So this list has a lot of detail on it, but I was nit picking every little thing I could find on it. There is a lot of good about the coach

- new batteries (all 5)
- new awnings on both slides and out on the street side
- Well maintained
- 10,000 lb towing capacity!
- clean interior

I would appreciate input and if anyone has advice on how to fix or what it might cost to fix.

I have gotten the seller to agree to a sale price of $55K.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/909633063.html

That's the posting and there are 4 small photos.

Thanks!

SSSStefan

2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD with the Fatboy tires on the back!
2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon - toad!
Aluma 24' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1

cableguy574

Fairfield Glade, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/08 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cliky

2008 National Pacifica V36a
2014 Jeep Wrangler /Brake Buddy
JUST Me & My wife & dogs
FMCA 387898
A member of NUTS

horizon36

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/08 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a great price for that coach. Many of the things you have on your list are DIY projects that you can do. Things that stick may only need to be lubed. The roof recaulking at the edge/gutter will take you about 4 hours to clean out the old stuff and caulk with new. You can get new vent replacement covers. The leveling jacks will not go down evenly per plan. You level one side or end at a time. This is planned for uneven ground. The TV squeaks will be solved when you change the TV to an HDTV unit. Look for some of my previous posts to see what it will look like. The stickers will be the worst thing to change, or just have the coach painted. At that price you could do it and still have a good deal. Definitely put on new tires, $2500. Adjust the door and on and on. I don't see any show stoppers. IMO, go for it, it's a great coach.

Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

TDInewguy

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/08 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know about the leveling jacks - doing the side to side thing first... but the button that does the front two at the same time - they both go, but the right side starts first, so if I have the coach level but need the front up higher, it tweaks it to the left, as the right jack has a headstart going up.

Economical Handyman

S. California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/08 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRST thing I would do is drop ALL the fluids and filters and service, including a grease job. Then new tires.

The outside "stickers" are not cheap, at least the last time I checked 5 years ago. I would remove and have them painted.
Windshield, if her insurance will cover it.

HWH concern, I would make a appointment at their factory.

What generator and diesel in your Itasca?

The rest appears to be a learning lesson for the new "happy-owner." Congrats !

DeWayne & Judy
04 3810 Dutch Star
ISL 370
Frank's autoformer
01 Sahara Jeep-toad
Blue Ox Aventa II
F 374382
This is not the "GOLDEN-YEARS", it is the "RUSTY-YEARS" !

TDInewguy

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/08 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am having the seller pull all the records from Boyer truck - they are the local good guys that do work on the Freightliner Chassis. I am going to talk to them this week and find out what has been done to the drivetrain.

The generator is the Onan quiet diesel 7.5KW - and it has 47 hours on it. 1 of which was put on today. It starts right up and runs great. I had a light load on it, then jumped up to a heavy load - and it revved up and ran without a flaw.

As for the stickers, I would do one of 4 things...

- new stickers
- new full body paint
- do nothing
- vinyl wrap the coach for advertising my company.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/08 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TDInewguy wrote:

I know about the leveling jacks - doing the side to side thing first... but the button that does the front two at the same time - they both go, but the right side starts first, so if I have the coach level but need the front up higher, it tweaks it to the left, as the right jack has a headstart going up.

The jacks should straighten themselves out once resistance is felt. They work in pairs, so just because the right hand jack starts first dosen't mean it will lift first. They should both have touched the ground before any lifting starts.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Itchn2go

Seaford,Va USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/08 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an 03 39QD. Its a great floor plan and very liveable. The things that you have listed are easily fixed. Mileage, motor, transmission and tires are more of a issue that your list..If all is well mechanically as others have said its a great price. Yes, all fluids, grease , tires etc should be checked. Get all maintance and repair records if possible. Be sure to register with Winnie as new owner...The adventure begins. Have fun.

PS: New full body painted would make the coach ageless. I think its a fine addition if affordable.

Happy Trails.
No RV at this time
ITCHN2GO,
1 Beautiful Wife, 2 Beautiful Dogs
It all depends on who you talk to.

J Walker

Oakton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/08 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have HWH levelers with the joystick control and they were engaging unevenly. In other words one leveler of a pair would extend first and not equalize after both hit the ground. I called HWH and they said that with the control on the left I would tend to move the joystick to the left more and after correcting that my problem was solved.
On the bathroom vent fan, look to upgrade it to a Shurflo or Fantastic if it has not already been done. Often a cheaper fan was used for the bathroom and it makes too much noise. The fan replacement is relatively inexpensive and easy to do yourself.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/08 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do have a excellent dealer and service department near by to service your motor-home. Brambella's out by Valley Fair in Shokopee MN. They serviced two trailers I owned (purchased elsewere) and my current motor-home (purchased from them in 2006). I have had excellent service from them over the last 14 years. They are a dealer for Itaska, and many other manufacturers.

Mark

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD - questions and opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts