RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Transmission temp!!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Transmission temp!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kevin O.

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/11 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the family and i just got back from our first trip and im not very happy about how hot my transmission was running. I have the tow pkg with trans cooler from the factory but she still ran 210-220 degrees for the majority of the time on the highway. Thats with the overdrive off and only doing 60-65mph making sure the torque converter was locked as much as possible. My camper is about 5000lbs so i don't think my truck should have a problem towing it. I think i will be purchasing an after market cooler with a electric fan and built in thermostat. I just don't think my transmission should be running that hot, but what do i know??!! Any input would be appreciated!!

KEVIN
DW-Debbie
DS-Tyler 8yrs old
DD-Makayla 5yrs old
MERIDEN,CT
2011 FORD F150 SUPERCREW FX4 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Pkg and 157" wheelbase
2006 SHAMROCK 21ss(Sold)
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH(New)

Keith M

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/11 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Etrailer sells after market supplemental coolers. I have ran my transmission that hot for a lot of miles and no damage yet. I am probably going to put in a bigger cooler or a supplemental cooler. Here is another thread with some pictures on a new cooler on a Suburban.

El Paso Tom's Transmission Cooler

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/11 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered that the thermostat may be bad? Or maybe the water pump is getting weak?

93 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel, DRW, Crew Cab. PullRite Hitch. 35' King of the Road 5er, 192 Watts Solar, 2800 Watt Yamaha Generator, 1750 Watt Inverter, 2 Trogan T105 Batteries, Me, my wife and 2 maltize furkids.

Yahooligan

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/11 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bldrbuck wrote:

Have you considered that the thermostat may be bad? Or maybe the water pump is getting weak?

On a 2007 truck? I'd hope not.

I don't necessarily think it's normal or agree with it, but apparently the normal temp for newer Ford trucks is 195F-215F for trans temp.

I'm with you all, I think sustained temps over 200F are abnormal and are an indication of something else going on (There's a t-stat/cooler bypass for the trans lines, it's possible this is sticking but then the temp should be high whether towing or not).

Have a read over in this thread.

IMO, the closer to 175F that you can keep it the better. I've never seen over 200 on any of my vehicles.

Hogan & Clan
1989 Monaco Crown Royale 36 - Cummins 6CTA8.3

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/11 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most (all?) auto trannys have a cooling loop in the main radiator. As the engine temps rise, they drag the tranny temps up. An aftermarker cooler after the main radiator in the return line can reduce the fluid temps below the coolant temps. A rise on a prolonged uphill is normal, even if the torque converter is locked, as you are burning more fuel, and the coolant temps leaving the engine are higher, raising the the tranny temps even if the engine temps don't raise much.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Hockey Skates

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/11 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything over 200 F gets my attention. I take immediate steps. I increase the internal temperature inside the cab to as much as 80 F. If required, I will run with no A/C until the problem corrects. I reduce my speed to about 55 mph. If the problem gets worse, pull over, and have lunch, with the hood up. If you can get your crew together, hitting the road by 7 a.m. solves a lot of your problems. You have logged your miles before it gets too hot.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/11 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try running in OD?

My transmission stays cooler if I tow in OD.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/11 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also suggest driving in overdrive, and only lock out overdrive if it is windy, and you find the transmission is hunting from drive to overdrive and back again. I tow in overdrive all the time.

Fred.

DrBaker

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/11 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both my coolant and trans temp guages get around 200 if I'm towing the 5er, have the AC on, and the outside temp is near 100. I just change the oil and filter on the trans and it hasn't ever had a problem. (mine is not a Ford like the OP)

2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol

hzjcm8

Avon, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/11 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevin O. wrote:

Well the family and i just got back from our first trip and im not very happy about how hot my transmission was running. I have the tow pkg with trans cooler from the factory but she still ran 210-220 degrees for the majority of the time on the highway. Thats with the overdrive off and only doing 60-65mph making sure the torque converter was locked as much as possible. My camper is about 5000lbs so i don't think my truck should have a problem towing it. I think i will be purchasing an after market cooler with a electric fan and built in thermostat. I just don't think my transmission should be running that hot, but what do i know??!! Any input would be appreciated!!

Whoops. I posted a response and then removed it. I see you have a Ford transmission. So, my comments would not apply.

Tom Johnson
Former Transmission Fluids Engineer (Allison Transmission, Inc.)
Avon, IN 46123

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Transmission temp!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS