RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Looking in Rockport / Aransas Pass / Fulton Area?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Looking in Rockport / Aransas Pass / Fulton Area?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
travelinggypsy

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All -

A solo woman with a 33' FW...heading off to the Rockport/Aransas Pass/Fulton area in about 2 weeks and staying for a month. I know this area has been much discussed in this forum, but I didn't find all the answers I'm looking for, so here goes:

1 - This is my maiden voyage so would love a park that is easy to manuever in? I'm guessing I won't have a pull thru (for a month stay), and I may need assistance backing up, unless they don't mind me blocking the road for 1/2 hour while I jockey around! But I'm talking about trees, curvy streets, very close spots, etc.? (Eg: I read about Lagoons, but sounds like it is tricky to manuever & I just don't think I need that stress so early in my voyage? I dunno...!) I'm only staying at pull thru places on my way south.

2 - I would like cable TV.

3 - I'd like some activities if possible?

4 - Will I even find a spot for a month (mid Nov to mid Dec)? I was just doing some reading and found that this area is filling up fast with oil workers?

5 - I don't mind driving 5 miles or so to do my shopping if need be, but something within walking distance to amenities would be grand!

Any assistance at all is greatly appreciated,
Gypsy

Paul G.

SW, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have stayed in the Fulton, Rockport area several times, there are many RV parks in the area but it seems only a few have the pull through sites, but we haven't visited them all. If you are not making reservations, I would drop the 5th wheel and drive around as some are a bit cramped. We usually stay at Goose Island State Park (wooded area) but no cable and only a couple of drive through spots. Cell phone an air card is spotty in the woods but OK on the beach area.

Aransas Pass about 20 miles to the south has some larger parks which appear to have pull through sites.

It's a great area, have fun.

Paul...

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://gulfwatersrvresorttx.com/index.htm

Gulf Waters RV Resort has pull thrus. Looks nice on their website.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too many to mention but Goose Island is 14 day stay, no full hook-ups and has a few low hanging tree branches on the way in/out to worry about. High profile FW be aware.
Not all of them 'look nice on the website' hold up in reality either.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 1500 2857

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several parks in Rockport that meet your requirments. When you say amenities, the problem with most is they are afraid to get involved in the "community".

I really dont think you will find backing or parking to be a problem in the area. Rockport is really really laid back. People dont get in no rush, they will do it for you if you just close your eyes. Believe me, thats there cup of tea it seems LOL.

However, in your situation, stay away from Sand Dollar, and the two on Fulton Beach road. They are next to impossible to navigate in. Close is not the word.

I suggest you go to Ancient Oaks, Drifters, Estes, Enchanted OAks, Lagoons (prbally the nicest in Rockport area),Raintree, as most of the others are small mom and pop operated and have little room and small spaces.

It is hard to impress people who have never been in the area to fully realize, that Rockport is a sleepy small town that has many old old rv parks that catered to fisherman first, then as the craze hit, looked to increase their income with the "winter texans".

Shopping in Rockport is real simple, as most parks are within walking or bike riding to every conceivable outlet.

As stated earlier, you can find many places to leave your fiver and run around town in. When you come into Rockport on 35, on the right is 2-3 average rv parksx that have PLENTY of room to park. I dont like the parks myself but they will suffice for a day or week. And I doubt if they are ever full they are so big.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

MichDoc

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend Drifters, Big D, and Coastal Oaks. All of these are within a few miles of shopping. If you want something even closer, you might try Rockport 35 RV Park, although a few people have had issues with the management there. Avoid Lagoons since there are some hairpin turns with very low tree branches to try to avoid. While we were there, two rigs ripped their rubber roofs on low branches......and both were being guided to their site by employees at the time. Sites are close together as well. They also seem to have a tendency to quote one price, but then charge another when you arrive. If you want to go onto the Island, you might check out Pioneer. Reasonably priced, many pull-throughs, a boardwalk to the beach, and a bus that comes by to take you into Port Aransas for shopping.

Jbird

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sdianel wrote:

http://gulfwatersrvresorttx.com/index.htm

Gulf Waters RV Resort has pull thrus. Looks nice on their website.

Gulf Waters is one of the nicest parks in the country. Expensive and somewhat limited for activities, but beautiful. Rental program recently taken over by the homeowners--helpful getting into sites, friendly. Adjoins the dunes.

36' Travel Supreme Express,Chev 3500 Duramax

trvlnsgt

St. George, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/11 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a specific reason for asking about those 3 areas then so be it, there are several RV parks in those areas, and as mentioned many are older and cater to fishermen. If it's that general area of the Texas Gulf coast you are interested in then you have more options.
My daughter lives in Corpus Christi so I take the M/H down there several times a year, usually for a month or more each time. Nothing in the Gulf Coast area is very far from anything else in the Gulf Coast area. Look for a park that meets your needs, knowing you can easily drive your toad/tow vehicle to whatever you want to see.
Keep in mind that the closer to the water you are the greater the wind, sand, and salt...and there's a bunch of it on the Gulf Coast.
Winter time is their busy time so make your reservations ASAP.
Consider staying in CC. That 1 mile or so inland cuts down on the wind, sand, and salt. I would give Colonia del Rey a call (1-800-580-2435). If they are full they can make some recomendations. They are a large park with most spots easy to get into, and they are affordable.

'06 Rexhall 39' Rose Air T-Rex,Cummins ISL 400.
'02 Ford Ranger 4x4 and a Perception sea kayak.
ALWAYS paddle away from the rocks.

DKSmith

Edmond, OK, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/11 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't mind being across the water in Port Aransas we would recommend Marina Beach. We spent the winter there a couple of years ago and would go back in a heartbeat. It is a new park and didn't have cable when we were there, but had more room in the sites than any of the other parks we had stayed in while in that area before. Grocery shopping is about a mile away, or if you want more than the IGA offers, a short ferry ride to Aransas Pass for an HEB.

Howdja

Hill country , TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/11 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently returned from a week's stay at one of the finest RV parks we have stayed in. It is The Palms RV park in Aransas Pass. From the time we contacted the management to the time we left, we were very impressed. The park is spotless, the showers and laundry are spotless, the grounds maintained, and the staff very friendly and professional. We toured many of the parks in the area, and found none to compare with The Palms. If you want a great experience at a very reasonable price ($140 per week) This is the park for you. Monthly rate was very reasonable, although I don't recall what it was. It;s far enough off the main highway to delete the noise, but close to shopping areas, and to the ferry.

Bruce, Dennie and Riki the Spoiled Chihuahua
2006 Damon Challenger 355 Ford V10
1999 Honda CRV Toad
Escapee Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Looking in Rockport / Aransas Pass / Fulton Area?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS