|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> misc storage ideas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
richard_123

new bern, nc

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looking to clear up items in the motorhome bays. would like to have the jack and tire blocks, towing bar accessories, extra water hose, sewer line support rack, 50 amp urge protector, grease gun, and other misc items stored.
Has anyone used or given thought to a storage tool box mounted at the motorhome tow hitch above the tow bar attachment? pros and cons.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just installed a cargo carrier on the back of MH.
The dual receiver that I got from Valley extended the cargo carrier too far. It would hit front of toad when making sharp corners.
I bought a new peice of tubing for cargo carrier, drilled holes to match the carrier and slide it through so the cargo carrier is now about 2 inches off the rear bumper of MH.
It is a lot more stabile then the factory setup. It would be difficult for it to sprout legs and walk off. Yes, it would be hard for me to remove while on road, might take 30 minutes or so.
Remember to think about where your fuel receptacle is.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the plastic milk crates. Each one has its' own "junk". One for paints, touch up, wax etc. One for my hoses. One for my water setup etc. When arriving at a CG, I pull out the water crate and my pressure reg, filter, wrenches etc. everything I might need to hook up the water. Very easy. I also mounted marine fishing pole holders along the sides for fishing poles, rake, broom, metal dectector and my favorite Driver..[emoticon]..I also put the crates in the moving slide out but left room for my 3 drawer toolbox, my canvas case with dremel, cordless drills etc. I can store the sling chairs and side tables on top of the crates. Use some imagination and scour the marine sites...neat stuff.....Dennis

THE WORLD IS CHANGED BY YOUR EXAMPLE, NOT BY YOUR OPINIONS
Dennis and Debi Ninth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen them but unless it was a 'have to' I don't think I would do it. It looks kinda "getto" to me. It's like the motorhome that the generator has quit and they have mounted a contractor generator on the back. It's just an opinion and we all have those.

What is in your bays that you don't have room for those items. I carry all those things and still have plenty of room for my "stuff". If a box was not too large and painted to match the coach, I guess it might not look bad. To each his own though.

">Never pass up a chance to go somewhere">

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richard___123,
While serving my 30 year career as fireman, I also had an alternate assignment on my days off as an "outfitter" of new fire trucks. When they come in, they're completely empty and void of tools and equipment. My job was to set them up, arrange tools,equipment, radios, specialty items etc. for use in the field.

We had to make maximum use of space, given the amount of tools and equipment we needed to do the job in any form of emergency. So, obviously, acquiring those skills over the years, I applied them to my past and present motor home(s). I'm not a fan of carrying things in boxes if I have a choice. I will if there's no other way. And, what ever I carry in a box is a "Once in a odd while" type of use object that may or may not be needed for camping etc.

People have more space in their compartments than they think they do. It's simply a matter of getting down and seeing what you come up with in terms of utilizing that space. If you take a look at the pics, you'll see I have lots of stuff is fairly common and might be used more than some of the other stuff you'll see. Some of the brackets and hangers are hand made and some are readily available at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, Tractor supply, Grainger, McMaster Carr, etc.

I use all the walls in the compartments if possible including the ceiling of each compartment if needed. I've stated before, I hate digging around for 1/2 an hour looking for something that either I or someone I'm camping with needs right now. So, I take the time to set up the compartments so I know just about where each and every item I carry is. I don't classify it as being "anal", I classify it as being as efficient as possible.

Take a look at the pics and see if there's any ideas you might use in a remedy for your situation.
Scott
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

okeehandyman

south florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice Job! You have inspired me to do better with my "stuff". Those horizontal shovel/tube type objects holders are nice. The shelf bins for bottles are much nicer than my solution using plastic storage boxes that have to sit on the floor. There is only so much floor to use!

xctraveler

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no idea what your coach is. Can't make any suggestions that apply to you. A rear carrier will shift you weight balance aft and might cause handling problems. It might also impede access to the roof which may seem trivial today, but wait until you need to get up there in a hurry because of a leak or something has tried to fight with a tree.

I store all tow related material in a curbside compartment all the way aft so it is handy for setup and brakedown. Curbside for two reasons, my street side aft compartment houses the generator, in case of a need to break the tow on a highway it is nice to be away from the traffic lane. Sewer hose and fitting are stored on the sewer compartment and the water fittings are next door in the freshwater section. I use plastic containers with snap on lids to retain the smaller bits like the pressure reducer and extra connectors. I do use a couple of 5 gal buckets one to store tools that wont fit in the tool box like the caulking gun and another to store the cleaning materials. The utility hose, as opposed to the freshwater hose wraps around the wash supply bucket.

I use various other crates to hold material for other special purposes related to being in camp. I also bought and installed some closet shelves to give me double height storage. Most of these ideas were picked up from friends and neighbors and embellished by experience with the particular configuration of our storage compartments. None of this was completed in the first year of travel.

Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

okeehandyman,
Thanks for the nice comments. One thing I forgot to mention is, if and when any of you decide to "organize" your compartments in any fashion, a smart thing to do is set up a "dummy" compartment. That is, use a piece of card board etc. that will act like the wall, ceiling, etc. that you're working on. You can then set up the tools, equipment, shelves, or what ever you're planning on and you can do it at a work bench or in your shop.

This method also allows for clearance checks for all installed equipment. One thing you don't want is a very fine job done with lots of organization and, you CAN'T get some of the tools or equipment out because they run into each other while either trying to get them out or put them back into their captive holders/clips/brackets.

If you look at my pics, you see things mounted, out in the open, that are readily needed items. Things like a tire gauge, oil, glue, and those little round orange looking things are "LED Emergency Flashing lights" that are really neat and put out some serious light if and when you need them while traveling in the darker hours.

I try and keep the floors of the compartments as clear as possible. Mount as much stuff as possible. You never know when you'll need the extra space on the floor of a compartment like after a days shopping at Quartzsite or, a mall or, an RV event and lots of vendors are there, etc.etc. etc.

There of course, will be things that are too cumbersome, heavy, awkward, etc to hang on a wall of a compartment so, you'll have to decide how and where to place those items. But, for anything that's smaller, or long and thin (fishing poles, flag poles, shovels, etc) that are taking up space on the floor of any cabinet/compartment, and you've got space on walls etc. that will accommodate those items, then you simply figure out the best method of installing them, where, how, and which system will work.

You also must figure out what kind of method, clips, brackets, hangers, mounts, whatever to use. As stated, I even made some for certain tools. You have to consider how those tools etc. will be removed and re-installed into their respective brackets and not hit any other tools etc. and or damage your hands while retrieving or installing them. Hope this helps some.
Scott

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

xctraveler wrote:

I have no idea what your coach is. Can't make any suggestions that apply to you. A rear carrier will shift you weight balance aft and might cause handling problems. It might also impede access to the roof which may seem trivial today, but wait until you need to get up there in a hurry because of a leak or something has tried to fight with a tree.

I store all tow related material in a curbside compartment all the way aft so it is handy for setup and brakedown. Curbside for two reasons, my street side aft compartment houses the generator, in case of a need to break the tow on a highway it is nice to be away from the traffic lane. Sewer hose and fitting are stored on the sewer compartment and the water fittings are next door in the freshwater section. I use plastic containers with snap on lids to retain the smaller bits like the pressure reducer and extra connectors. I do use a couple of 5 gal buckets one to store tools that wont fit in the tool box like the caulking gun and another to store the cleaning materials. The utility hose, as opposed to the freshwater hose wraps around the wash supply bucket.

I use various other crates to hold material for other special purposes related to being in camp. I also bought and installed some closet shelves to give me double height storage. Most of these ideas were picked up from friends and neighbors and embellished by experience with the particular configuration of our storage compartments. None of this was completed in the first year of travel.

xctravler,
Are you adressing me and our Itasca?
Scott

* This post was edited 02/15/12 11:15am by FIRE UP *

missscarlet9

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

I use the plastic milk crates. Each one has its' own "junk". One for paints, touch up, wax etc. One for my hoses. One for my water setup etc. When arriving at a CG, I pull out the water crate and my pressure reg, filter, wrenches etc. everything I might need to hook up the water. Very easy. I also mounted marine fishing pole holders along the sides for fishing poles, rake, broom, metal dectector and my favorite Driver..[emoticon]..I also put the crates in the moving slide out but left room for my 3 drawer toolbox, my canvas case with dremel, cordless drills etc. I can store the sling chairs and side tables on top of the crates. Use some imagination and scour the marine sites...neat stuff.....Dennis

I do the same. My wife thinks I'm a freak because I use the color coding of the crates (yellow - electrical, black - plumbing, etc). I use the same crates in the garage at home. It makes it very nice for projects based in type.

Livin' the dream!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> misc storage ideas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS