|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Dodge Dually & Kountry Aire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Home on Wheels

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all your replys!!

Gemstone

Yuma, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"No need coming on here and making fun of others trucks by calling them a "truckette"."...

How about calling them a "light duty truck" (LDT) then.

"The poster with the 3 axle 5er with disc brakes has quite a bit of help with his load when slowing down"...

OK, now what do you do when the trailer brakes fail ? They can and do fail....mine have twice. It's nice having 22" rubber on the ground and air brakes...makes me feel safe enough to handle emergencies. I prefer not to live on the edge if I can prevent it.

Regards
Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gemstone wrote:

"No need coming on here and making fun of others trucks by calling them a "truckette"."...

"The poster with the 3 axle 5er with disc brakes has quite a bit of help with his load when slowing down"...

OK, now what do you do when the trailer brakes fail ? They can and do fail....mine have twice. It's nice having 22" rubber on the ground and air brakes...makes me feel safe enough to handle emergencies. I prefer not to live on the edge if I can prevent it.

Regards
Gemstone

Have the brakes on a KW ever failed?

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Gemstone

Yuma, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Have the brakes on a KW ever failed?"....

yep they have, but when they fail, it's usually due to loss of air pressure. When air pressure is lost, the brakes lock up, the truck forced to a stop, and will not move until air pressure is regained. The brakes on my big truck are ample enough to stop my rig in the case of trailer brake failure, that's not the case with a LDT loaded to the max with 20k+ pounds of inertia pushing from the rear.

What happens when the brakes on a LDT fail while towing ?

I chose to chime into the conversation when it appeared the message that towing mega loads with a LDT was OK because someone else was doing it. A simple look at the photo's of rig's in this forum will confirm that clearly some trucks are out matched by the rig they are towing....
In some form, we all seek justification for what we are doing, looking to a forum for answers to questions is great, looking to a forum for justification, IMO, is not.

Bottom line is that we all have to be comfortable with our decisions, that we've made the best overall choice for the circumstances we are dealing with, after trial and error, I'm comfortable with my decision.

As a side note, I started out towing my 19k pound rig with the belief that my Cummins equipped 1 ton was capable of pulling anything, and it probably is...it's just not capable enough to stop it...to suit me.

Good Luck
Gemstone

* This post was edited 02/21/12 07:07am by Gemstone *

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gemstone wrote:

Regards
Gemstone

LDT, Light Duty trucks are what they are..dead on..

I also agree about "what if" the brakes fail? I was going down Saluda grade in NC and my 5er plug in became "un-plugged and I had to basically use the truck to slow down to pull over to the side of the road to plug back in....(only time it's ever happened)...SON...glad the Cummins EB is a very good one.....anyway....THAT's when you realize how important trailer brakes are and just how much that weight behind you can push you around..

* This post was edited 02/21/12 01:38pm by NC Hauler *

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Vietnam Vet

YnotTurbo

Waldorf Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gemstone wrote:

Regards
Gemstone

What if your air lines get a hole in them and fail? If your you have maxi brakes, they will lock up once you get low on air. Too many what if's in life. I could lose the brakes in my car too, but that does not stop me from driving. Just think about all the variables in life. It will drive a person nutz.

Navy Chief (Ret.)Still working. 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie w/6.7 High Output, 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/YnotTurbo/2012RamCamper.jpg

roadhermit5858

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes it will, but you might want to modify your suspension, like air bags, that stock suspension is like having no springs at all. It will pound your trailer to the point of breaking crossmembers, probably. Needs a softer ride, maybe an air bag hitch would work ok. Good luck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Dodge Dually & Kountry Aire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS