|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> goodyear tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/12 11:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goodyear, Michelin or any other tire! I can't even start to tell you the tire abuse I see every time that I go camping! I'm really surprised that there is not more blow outs! It's unreal what I see and too numerous to list.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GY customer service told me the problem was alignment. Had an alignment and nothing was wrong. Then the rep got out his tire problem book. Went to dump truck tag axle and told me it was a chassis problem. I pointed out that my Dynasty was not a dump truck. Then he told me the problem was Monaco's fault. I drove to the Michelin dealer and no more rivering! Every person who has had the famous G670 rivering solves the problem by switching brands including using: Toyo, hancook, Bridgestone and more. Once they change the problem is gone. End of story! For some reason the rivering is rare on the 19.5 size.

Moisheh

* This post was edited 05/09/12 05:04am by moisheh *

deaop01

Mansfield, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had 4 new 19.5 GY 670's on the rear. Even with checking all the time on air I lost 2 within 3 years. Both blowouts in the same place. On sidewall just below the tread. Hole the size of a baseball. GY did nothing. It was my fault and they didn't care. Dealer just did not care.

So I have no more GY tires on the RV and never will. Had the blowout happened on the front we may not be here today. I am not a gambler. GY's customer service stinks.

This is my opinion yours may be different. Good luck on your GY RV tires.

Ron

Betty and Ron
2002 Bounder 31W
8.1 with 5 speed Allison
2 slides
2005 Colorado toad

Galvanizd

Payson AZ..... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can still see the rivering a bit but its not getting worse. So far no rivering on the steer tires I rotated up.
(72000 miles)

Well, that just changed. Just drove 400 miles and was checking tires during a walk around rest stop, the front tires are beginning to show signs of minor rivering. Still good tread on the tires. Will prbly rotate them to the back.

We've got almost 74000 miles on our 2003 Monaco. Thats about 9000 a year. 2 sets of tires later. We don't sit around much and those are highway miles.

These tires are 4 years old with about 30000 miles on them. No comment about customer service. 2 sets of goodyear tires not working out.

Not gonna bad mouth any brand. Just reporting my experience. You decide.

I will try another brand next change.

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been tracking tire questions on RVnet for about a year. The one common thing I found is all of the tire companies have had problems. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Some have had problems with GoodYear, and others have run them for thousands of miles with no problems. I've read some comments about people running tires from China with no problems. I'm as confused as ever. When it comes time to purchase new tires I really don't know what brand to chose. The only thing I'm sure of is that I will only purchase US made tires. Other that that, I will stick with a name brand and hope for the best.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hankooks are now OEM for both Freightliner and Navistar. I bet you see them OEM on MH's soon.

Moisheh

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting my Hankooks put on next week.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had many tire problems over the years and customer service is what I consider most important. I have had failures from belt slippage to huge bubbles in the sidewalls. Sears stood behind their tires, BF Goodrich stood behind their tires, even Firestone stood behind their famous 500 series tires. Goodyear never did. Granted these are not motor home tires, but with the service I got from Goodyear is the same service I would expect from them when I purchase new tires for my motor home. Goodyear, never!

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2005 Ford Focus Automatic Station Wagon
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain

RckyMtnVia

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This discussion reminds me of RV Park Reviews. If I see an rv park rated all 8, 9 & 10, then it is probably a good bet to stay there. If I see 6, 7, 8 and a few 2 or 3 added to the mix, then it raises questions. IMHO, it seems some people, like me, have had rivering with my GY 670 steer tires, and I just switched to Michelin. (5 Years, 24,00 miles) If like others on this thread, I had no problems with the GY 670's then I probably would have replaced them with GY 670 when the time comes. Again, IMHO, most Michelin reviews are good, and most GY 670 reviews are good with a few really negative experiences. This past weekend, I went to a dealer and looked at Winnebago Tours, and American Coach Eagle and Revolution, and they all had Michelins, for whatever that is worth.

Great information from great people on this forum, but in the end we have to go with what our gut or brain tells us.

2013 Winnebago Via 25T
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Occasionally)

jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From this and other forums about the GY 670s....I think this "rivering" thing might be just for ther 22.5 inch tires. For whatever reason.

My 3 sets of GY 19.5 were (and are) just fine. I'd estimate that 90% of the information here is personal experience (like mine)....the other 10% could be jumping on the GY flaming bandwagon. For whatever reason.

Who knows?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> goodyear tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS