|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Proposed USDA rule change internet puppy sales

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Proposed internet puppy sale rule change.

We've had lots of conversations about internet puppy mill sales and it looks like the USDA is proposing rule changes to help with the problem.

Doug, DVM

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, Ballwin, MO. U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/12 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is certainly way overdue for such a change to the law.

The thing that strikes me as rather odd is the fact that, apparently, there are people that would purchase a puppy "sight unseen" over the internet in the first place.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Gen. Gretchen - 10 y.o. GSD - Special Forces/DOTL Cloudbusters
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 1 y.o. old GSD. Still a civilian at this point.
Gen. Missy - GSD/Aussie - Joined DOTL Rainbow Division, June 11,2006

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/12 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So if I have four or less I'm still able,, and what govment functionary is gonna go around counting *****es for a more than healthy salary no less, seems still full of holes to me. As a customer if you cant be bothered to go onsite and have a look around then them dogs is gonna have more problems than just a bad breeder.

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vladen wrote:

and what govment functionary is gonna go around counting *****es for a more than healthy salary no less,
What it does is open an avenue for punishment where one does not currently exist. The government doesn't have enough funds to prevent infractions of many laws but it does have money to punish infractions of laws.

skylos

Columbus, OH

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOTLDaddy wrote:

The thing that strikes me as rather odd is the fact that, apparently, there are people that would purchase a puppy "sight unseen" over the internet in the first place.

I've bought two white GSD pups this way. They're rare enough that the breeders tend to quite far away. But I buy many things over the internet, so that is familiar to me.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About time!

Per enforcement:
You'd be surprised how much easier it's getting to be to police such activities online- I was shocked to find out that my local small town has some way of monitoring Craigslist for folks that are advertising ovwernight stays in their homes (couchsurfing).
(It seems that a license is required to do that in Port Townsend- not to mention, of course, that the City wants its lodging taxes.)

Point is, folks all over town have gotten citations for "unlicenced accommodations", and all because the City's software picks up the ads!

So maybe there's hope that appropriate local authorities will be able to do similar monitoring of online puppy mills...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A step in the right direction!

from article wrote:

“This is a very significant proposed federal action, since thousands of large-scale breeders take advantage of a loophole that allows them to escape any federal inspections,” said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States. “Dogs in puppy mills often live in small, overcrowded cages, living in filth and denied veterinary care. We need more eyes on these operations, and this rule will help.”

Opposition to the change is hard to find. ........

I like the sound of it and I hope opposition continues to be hard to find!

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOTLDaddy wrote:

It is certainly way overdue for such a change to the law.

I guess that would be me. I went to the shelters and looked around. Many of the shelters in Wyoming want a home inspection and I also must hire a licensed animal behaviorist for a couple of months. Give me a break!!! I'm getting too old to put up with that nonsense.

I wanted a working Australian Cattle Dog. By the time we purchased the dog, crate, made arrangements, air fare to get him flown in, cost about $1500. Total internet purchase. Cost was not an object.

* This post was edited 05/11/12 01:02pm by WyoTraveler *

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/12 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've bought a few of our Papillons from breeders via the internet. Of course, we asked for lots of pictures and information before the purchase, and we did our best to make sure that these were legitimate Breeders, and not Puppy Mills.

People will buy cars, clothes, and PETS via the internet. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it does happen all the time.
I'm glad to see that something is being done, and can only say..."It's about time!".....but, this may also have an effect on the smaller Breeders who are breeding for show/agility, in a negative way. I think a lot will depend on just how the law is written.
Like many laws out there, the initial intent is good, but it's over-regulation that causes it to go bad, and may even be un-enforceable due to a lack of man-power.

Thanks for sharing.....I'm forwarding the article to some Breeders I know, and asking what they think about it. Should be interesting.

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/12 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wondered about the breeders, but if four is the minimum number of breeding animals it should only impact the larger breeding operations. If I read this right, it's not new regulation (the law has been on the books since 1966) it's just updating and applying it to modern situations. Due to new technology and sales that never were able to happen this way before the internet there have been loopholes exploited by some individuals.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Proposed USDA rule change internet puppy sales
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS