RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Letting cars sit unused for four months..?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Letting cars sit unused for four months..?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unhook the battery. If I were to leave for several months, I would not leave any kind of charger or appliance plugged in. Even the fridge. I would not be comfortable, wondering if some varmint chews on the power cord or something. The less plugged in, the less to worry about. JMO

Full timing it since July 2012

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

I like Battery MIND-ers myself. For a car, I'd get the 1.8A one because it is small and doesn't use much wattage, so it can go on the end of a long extension cord.

I read this thread just so I could make this same suggestion.. 1-2 amps

I'd also dump in the proper amount of STA-BIL or Seafoam (I use Sta-Bil myself) and fill the tank before you park it IN THAT ORDER, Then drive at least a couple miles to get the treated gas into all the lines.

NOTE: Back when I had two cars and money.. I took off, spent a couple of months pulling "MY" car around the US,, Hopped a plane to Detroit, hopped a bus (1.75 each way) to a spot a few blocks from my house and hiked home from there.

Wife's car, With Sta-Bil and Battery Minder, fired up just like August and used this morning. (it was January).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Son-in-law comes over and takes our car for a short ride several times during the winter. We would let him take it for a long ride but from the milage on it, he never goes beyond short.

sparkydave

Macedonia, OH

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I store my collector car over the winter, and what folks have said are fine; disconnect the battery since small loads in the car will run it down eventually, and Sta-bil in the gas. Only thing I'll add is to inflate the tires to their maximum rated pressure. I do that so the tires don't get flat spots from sitting for so long.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Letting cars sit unused for four months..?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS