RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: Trailer Brakes Locked Up?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Trailer Brakes Locked Up?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ShamRockerBob

N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I washed my trailer getting it ready for a trip next week. I then hooked it up to the truck but did not connect the trailer plug to the truck since I was just going from the back of the house to the front. When I started to drive off I saw that I was just "dragging" the trailer, no wheels turning. So I plugged in the connection, but still the same. The truck instrument message display said "trailer wiring problem". Later after messing with the problem some the message read "trailer disconnected" even though it was connected. So I can't figure out if the problem is with the TV or the trailer. I'll check with the trailer service people first. I have read of some issues with Ford's OEM trailer controller, but I feel like it might be a short in the wiring of the trailer side. Has anybody had any experience with this? I'm glad, though, that this happened a week before my trip and not the day before.

2011 Shamrock 21SS
2010 F-150 Lariat

llowllms

Crawford, Tn. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your emergency brake cable pulled loose? I always check that after washing our rig because some times I pull it loose and have to stick the pin back into the control on the tongue.

ShamRockerBob

N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will definitely check that out. That does sound like that is the likely problem. I did look at the cable, but probably not close enough. Thanks guys!

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShamRockerBob wrote:

I will definitely check that out. That does sound like that is the likely problem. I did look at the cable, but probably not close enough. Thanks guys!

If this was the case, also depending on how long it pin was out of the e-brake controller, you may have run down your battery or even worse...damaged the magnets in your trailer brakes.
Run a brake test or have them checked.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/12 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You triggered the E brake cord. You may have drained the battery as well if it is still pulled and possibly created other issues if it has been on indefinitely since that time.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

llowllms wrote:

Is your emergency brake cable pulled loose? I always check that after washing our rig because some times I pull it loose and have to stick the pin back into the control on the tongue.

X2

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

ShamRockerBob

N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, so I feel like a real dummy. That was the problem, the emergency brake cable had dislodged. My DW said it would be something simple. I learned something else when I went to the camper service center to check out the TV to eliminate it from the above problem. I was told I didn't have the "charge back" module and fuse installed so my TV was not charging the trailer battery. So all this time I was wondering why my battery was always so low. So much for a newbie to learn. Boy, tent camping wasn't so bad after all! Thanks again for all the help guys.

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShamRockerBob wrote:

I was told I didn't have the "charge back" module and fuse installed so my TV was not charging the trailer battery. So all this time I was wondering why my battery was always so low.

many newbies automatically assume their TV will charge the trailer's battery, when most only provide a trickle charge at best.
they'll completely discharge the battery, hookup the TV and run the engine for a couple of hours and then wonder why the battery is still low. they don't realize that they would have to run the engine for 12 hours to recharge the battery.

recharging a trailer battery with the TV, is generally an extremely inefficient way of doing it.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShamRockerBob wrote:

OK, so I feel like a real dummy. That was the problem, the emergency brake cable had dislodged. My DW said it would be something simple. I learned something else when I went to the camper service center to check out the TV to eliminate it from the above problem. I was told I didn't have the "charge back" module and fuse installed so my TV was not charging the trailer battery. So all this time I was wondering why my battery was always so low. So much for a newbie to learn. Boy, tent camping wasn't so bad after all! Thanks again for all the help guys.

No need to feel like a dummy, how do you think we know about such things?

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/12 11:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fla-gypsy wrote:

ShamRockerBob wrote:

No need to feel like a dummy, how do you think we know about such things?

X2 That is what these Forums are all about. We share our problems, mistakes and how they were corrected.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Trailer Brakes Locked Up?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS