|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Fresh cilantro

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
grinder

Courtenay, British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cilantro, yuuuck, when we were in Costa Rica they put it on and in everything. Scrambled eggs, fried eggs. It is an acquired taste, I just never acquired it.............and what a way to ruin a good salmon. JMHO

Stranger

Sparks, NV. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's how to tell if your grocer knows his stuff.
Ask him/her if they have any "Chinese Parsley".
Same stuff.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2002 3500 6 Speed
2005 ALFA
Just 72 feet!

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fresh cilantro is awesome. You don't want it to flower, so when it does cut them off quickly or you will have a short lived crop. Something I have done before to keep it going all summer is to plant new seeds every few weeks. I like it a lot so I go the extra mile to keep it around as long as I can. Harvest it weekly to keep it going and try to cut from different sections each time rotating it.

Nothing better than salsa for cilantro but I do use it in other ways. I like my simple salsa recipe - I use canned diced tomatos from the grocery store, chopped onions, dried chile peppers crushed in a food processor (some chopped jalapeno if you like them, I don't so I dont use them), fresh chopped cilantro of course, and lime juice and salt to taste.

When I want something a bit different consistency than salsa for my chips I make Pico De Gallo. Awesome summer dish as it is so refreshing. Just use diced fresh tomatos (i use roma tomatos as they are far less 'pulpy' when you dice them and keep their shape better than regular ones), cilantro, chopped onions, lime juice and salt. YOu can add chopped jalapeno or any pepper of choice if you want it spicier.

I also use it on top of grilled chicken, and use it in place of chopped parsely in my pasta. I will toss in some butter and cilantro in freshly cooked pasta and it gives it a light taste much better than parsley. In fact, I like it so much I have often used it in place of parsley in some of my dishes that call for parsley.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fastpete wrote:

Sautee fresh shrimp in butter and red wine, a small shake of garlic salt, a small shake of chili powder, about half a teaspoon of finely chopped cilantro, sautee until shrimp turns pink. great stuff

YES! I have done that too, minus the chili powder but must try it. I make my shrimp scamp with cilantro too.

Bigfoot85

The Great North American West

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grinder wrote:

Cilantro, yuuuck, when we were in Costa Rica they put it on and in everything. Scrambled eggs, fried eggs. It is an acquired taste, I just never acquired it.............and what a way to ruin a good salmon. JMHO

Oh yeah ... in scrambled eggs (with tomato, avocado too) is great. But as you can see, not everyone likes it. Cilantro is not strong, but is distinctive - you either like it a lot, or don't. No middle ground.

Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0, 4.10 manual

fastpete

Somewhere in West Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sautee fresh shrimp in butter and red wine, a small shake of garlic salt, a small shake of chili powder, about half a teaspoon of finely chopped cilantro, sautee until shrimp turns pink. great stuff. Add shrimp to Parmesan Alfredo noodles, add a few chives if you like and some cut up cherry tomatoes, makes a great one dish meal.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Fresh cilantro
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS