|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Michigan stuff

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're either a Michigander or a Michiganian but never a Michigoose. To us, the Upper Peninsula is the U.P. and people who live there are yoopers. You can tell a person is from Michigan when they use the back of their left hand to show you where in the state we come from. Whichever of the Great Lakes we live closest to, that's the "big lake." People from other states that have visited here have expressed surprise at the magnitude of deer hunting in the state. I'll bet that others can add important stuff to this short list.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Shearwater

NE Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most people won't get this but if you are from Newaygo you are automatically a troll.

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And a lot of trolls are fudgies

04 Dodge RAM Quad Crew Cab 4x4
08 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy Controller
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

Quality Johnson

Minneapolis MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good bar bet in Minnesota, and possibly in Michigan, is to ask someone to list the states that Minnesota shares a border with. Most will not know that there is a border with Michigan, and it only exists in Lake Superior, not on any land.

'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where we live in Michigan, you are either a Buccaneer or a Laker and even sometimes referred to as a Havenite.

There's is no place in the entire state where you can be more than 5 miles from open fresh water. Not salted and yet there are huge salt mines in the state underground. Morton Salt and others have been mining this salt for over a hundred years now. Most of it is used by Dupont, Dow, etc as there are huge chemical operations in the state. Underneath Detroit is basically hollow as it's a giant salt mine with pillars left to hold the surface up.

Millions of years ago, the great Lakes region was under the ocean until the land rose and it's still rising today after being depressed during the ice age with having over a mile thick ice on top of it. The ice age melted only around 10,000 years ago. Some of the oldest base rock was exposed by the grinding motion of the very thick heavy glaciers. Today, you can see this very old exposed rock in the northern U.P. and in Ontario Canada on the north side of Lake Superior. Very eerie looking. The 5 Great Lakes were also gouged out by these galciers and Lake Superior is 1333 ft deep, Lake Michigan is 923 ft deep, and Lake Huron is 750 ft deep, etc. Awesome power of glaciers!

Huge veins of pure copper runs thru the rock but it's very expensive to mine even with today's technology but was for over a century in the past. That's where most of the copper mined in the USA came from in the 1800's and till the mid 1900's. Now open pit/strip minning prevails in areas of the country.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just did a little research and even shocked myself. The ice age glacier over the Great Lakes general region was approx 1,000,000 sq miles in size and averaged a mile in thickness grinding away as it moved. Can anyone imagine the mind boggling weight of a mile thick ice being 1,000,000 sq miles in size could do as it moves? One heck of the gigantic shovel to gouge out the huge Great Lakes from solid rock so deep! So heavy that the land/rock is still rebounding 10,000 years later!!! Wonder how high the surrounding land will finally end up being? I'd like to stick around and find out...

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 04:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People from the U. P. use the inside of their left hand to show you where they live.......

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
08 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 6 sp. Auto, 4.30 Rear, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the strangest perceptions I've experienced is standing north of Superior and looking south. It appears the lake is higher than the land to the south of it. It is something to approach the area and see the weather turning to the south.

GreenSalsa

Fort Bragg, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you mean like this?!

2006 Ford F350 CC PSD DRW
2007 Cedar Creek 362BTS
GreenSalsa is a married Army Special Forces family stationed at Fort Bragg, NC

Registered on ProfessionalSoldiers.com and Socnet.com

blackeyed1

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/12 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I like about moving back here to Michigan is availability of pasties. NO, not the nipple covers!
My family immigrated from Sweden a long time ago and worked the iron ore mines in the U.P.
Love watching the freighters pass by on the St Clair river and Detroit river.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Michigan stuff
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS