RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Heki skylight rethink...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heki skylight rethink...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our recent way home through Montana (hwy 90 east) the glazed lid on our Heki 2 (Dometic) skylight poped open and broke at one of the hinges and cracked at another. Speed limits were 75mph and the big rigs were likely pushing 80. I was traveling along on C/C at 68 to conserve fuel. Big rigs passing in conjunction with some extremely high crosswinds likely caused a substantial pressure differential to occur, forcing the lid to pop open. This also caused damage to the skylights built-in sun block shade.

We never open the skylight because the plastic hold-down latches are so very thin and fragile, and I've had to replace one (at 2yrs new) simply because of a UV plastic breakdown issue. Interestingly, when I found that the lid had popped opened, I also found that both hold-down latches were still in their locked positions, meaning this time no latch failure. Luckly, I was able to make a successful 'field repair' using 6" eternabond tape on the outside and bungie cords on the interior push bar, which well lasted the remainder of our long trip home.

Once home, I called a reputable locally owned RV supply shop in my area (good folks I've dealt with before) and gave them the parts numbers that I needed. I was surprised to learn that the glazed (really a type of soft lexan) lid alone was $1,289 (msrp from Dometic) and the shade about $150 more. I suspect that they might be willing to discount it a bit, but neither these parts or this Heki unit (as a whole) is worth their cost. I don't really see how Dometic can justify these prices, especially since the cause of this malady is flimsy parts and a poor hold-down design.

The good news is that my vehicle insurance company says I do have coverage (via a TC rider), so I share this episode with other Dometic Heki 2 owners as an FYI only...Thank goodness for having insurance.

Best regards,

3 tons

woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I ordered another camper I would not specify the Heki. For all the reasons you mention.

With one of these hatches one is always waiting for the hinges to break, I don't know why they make them out of Plastic.

The heat generated in that area is very hot.

The basic concept is great, however the product they are building not.

As far as the prices go, completely crazy.

Up in that area one should keep it as simple as possible.

Something like a large porthole , with a simple rubber gasket would suit me just fine..

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow Longbox 200 Watts Solar, LED lights.
12 Volt DC Fridge.

kerry4951

East Central Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't want one in any TC....heard about too many problems. One of the things that helped me make my decision to go with AF is because they don't use them.

2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 65 TC mods

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I could get rid of mine in the cabover and have interior look good cosmetically I would. I dont like the Hieki product at all.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! The prop wash from tractor trailers blasting by at 80 MPH while you were puttering along under 70 MPH would have torn apart any protruding accouterments from many an RV

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

54suds

adk mts.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently purchased & installed a complete unit for under $700.00 I purchased it from Bill Penny in New Hampshire. I have had two campers with these units (both installed by myself )and never had any problems !

replacement lens are avaliable in England for 330 pounds + shipping

07 chev ltz ,ext cab,drw,4x4/ Big wig anti sway bar , torque lift tdn's ,superhitch,36" ext
1988 & 1999 Bigfoot / 2011 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At those kind of prices you could almost install a tempered glass yachting access hatch. They come in different sizes.

I think if I had the HEKI I'd figure getting it sprayed with two coats of Linex and some stainless latches added to it before it went to pot.

At least coat the whole thing with eternabond tape so it wouldn't get so hot. Then insulate with the foil faced foam insulation inside.

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

54suds wrote:

I recently purchased & installed a complete unit for under $700.00 I purchased it from Bill Penny in New Hampshire. I have had two campers with these units (both installed by myself )and never had any problems !

replacement lens are avaliable in England for 330 pounds + shipping

Don't know if you're talking about the Heki Midi or Heki 2, but good to know that the whole unit might be had for less than the individual parts.

Thanks,

3 tons

54suds

adk mts.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

part link

iwon415

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 years and counting, no problems, knock on wood....

Do you travel with any window open in camper? Could that have prevented any pressure problem in camper?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Heki skylight rethink...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS