RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Excited for first RV trip to Alaska!! help making itinerary

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

 > Excited for first RV trip to Alaska!! help making itinerary

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
ddkphotos

Alaska

New Member

Joined: 07/09/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/12 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi! My hubby and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary with a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and then renting an RV for 8 days in Alaska. I'm very excited - and a little nervous as we've never RV'd before. Any tips would be greatly appreciated...
We arrive in Whittier on July 25th - heading to Anchorage (probably by bus) to pick up RV... giving ourselves the afternoon/night to get settled, do some groceries, see the new Batman movie... Staying at Ship Creek RV park. Need to do some laundry next day - and then I haven't figured out where we are staying on the 26th... I figure slowly making our way up to Denali - maybe stop at Talkeetna?
Heading up to Denali on Friday for the weekend - 3 nights at Riley Creek. Have an on-line friend who RV's and is a park ranger there so I think we're going to have what to do in Denali covered (unless anyone has a MUST SEE you want to suggest!?)
On Monday the 30th we're heading to Seward - staying where we have another friend - at Bear Creek RV park where our friends live. Staying 2 or 3 nights there - then heading back to Anchorage and heading home.
I am a little worried about bugs... and getting caught in tourist traps. We are a bit limited to activities as my hubby can't walk a whole lot (back issues)... but are interested in seeing the beauty and wildlife of Alaska. Hubby is also a pilot and will want to take a flight-seeing tour...
Thanks for your input!
DDK

* This post was edited 07/10/12 08:27am by ddkphotos *

RoadLife

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/10/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hubby can take a flight seeing tour out of either Denali or Talkeetna. We haven't been bothered by bugs much yet, but its a-coming. We brought some Avon Skin So Soft repellent to use. You will see some magnificent scenery on your route. In Seward, We really enjoyed the Sea Life Center. The Resurrection Bay Wildlife Tour is a great one to go on. They serve a meal - all you can eat wild salmon and prime rib along with bottomless margueritas... Good reports on this 3-4 hour cruise out of Seward.


ROADLIFE

RoadLife USA 2014 Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier


RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/08/2003

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/10/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVing...bear in mind that Alaska is a VERY LARGE state and the distances between places can be long. Personally, I'd NEVER plan a day by day itinerary because too many things can disrupt it. We travelled to Colorado one summer with our son, his wife & kids. She had a very detailed plan for each day and didn't seem to grasp how plans can get derailed. Such things as road construction, problems with the RV, spotting something interesting not on the plan, staying longer than planned at a particular spot, somebody getting sick or injured. That's why we don't make detailed plans. Last year we went to Montana & Idaho. Our only plan was to camp on the east side of Glacier Nat Park so we could run up to Canada to visit Waterton Nat Park. Had no specific day to do that. From then on until we got home we played it by ear. If hampered by time constraints I'd make only a very generalized plan but not a day by day.


RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees


Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

Senior Member

Joined: 06/30/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on 25 years and you are seeing AK the best way possible... a one way cruise and renting a Class C. Might want to look into taking the train to ANC instead. Do not worry about driving the C as they handle very well and should come with all you need. I would not spend three days at Denali and I would get to Talkeetna on the 26th and take a flight seeing trip. Then two days at Denali will be plenty and then head down to Seward. I would also include Homer in your trip.
PM me with your address as I have one Alaska TourSaver book that will get you 2 for 1. Still lots of coupons in it as we were there in May and many did not start until June. Also have coupons for Seward wildlife tours. Let it be my Anniversary present to you.


This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

PA12DRVR

Anchorage, AK

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/10/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the weather is still nice when you spend your night in Los Anchorage, have a cold brew on the deck of the Snow Goose tavern (or, if you taste is otherwise, have a martini in the bar at Simon & Seaforts next to the window). The views of the mountains across the inlet have been spectacular lately.

Unless you have a long list of specifics to do there, I wouldn't spend a lot of time in/at Denali.....a young persons dream spot to hike, etc, but the touristy activities around the park entrance are almost repulsive.


CRL
Arguably Displaced Alaskan AGAIN !
My RV is a 1946 PA-12

ddkphotos

Alaska

New Member

Joined: 07/09/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks so much!
RoadLife wrote:

Hubby can take a flight seeing tour out of either Denali or Talkeetna. We haven't been bothered by bugs much yet, but its a-coming. We brought some Avon Skin So Soft repellent to use. You will see some magnificent scenery on your route. In Seward, We really enjoyed the Sea Life Center. The Resurrection Bay Wildlife Tour is a great one to go on. They serve a meal - all you can eat wild salmon and prime rib along with bottomless margueritas... Good reports on this 3-4 hour cruise out of Seward.


ddkphotos

Alaska

New Member

Joined: 07/09/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the advice. I hear you... I understand it is huge - and I'm not going to see everything - that's why we narrowed it down to 3 main areas. I am also a virgo and a bit of an over-planner and the thought of not having somewhere for sure to stay freaks me out... if we don't get there - we'll figure something else out - but at least we have a back up plan... I will have an idea of what I want to do in each place - but won't pre-book just in case things come up...
The good news it's just me and hubby and he's pretty easy going. I'll be the one who will want to stop every 5 minutes to take a picture...
Thanks again - I will keep your advice in mind every time somethings go off plan - I'll just breathe and figure out plan B or C...

RRUGG wrote:

RVing...bear in mind that Alaska is a VERY LARGE state and the distances between places can be long. Personally, I'd NEVER plan a day by day itinerary because too many things can disrupt it. We travelled to Colorado one summer with our son, his wife & kids. She had a very detailed plan for each day and didn't seem to grasp how plans can get derailed. Such things as road construction, problems with the RV, spotting something interesting not on the plan, staying longer than planned at a particular spot, somebody getting sick or injured. That's why we don't make detailed plans. Last year we went to Montana & Idaho. Our only plan was to camp on the east side of Glacier Nat Park so we could run up to Canada to visit Waterton Nat Park. Had no specific day to do that. From then on until we got home we played it by ear. If hampered by time constraints I'd make only a very generalized plan but not a day by day.


ddkphotos

Alaska

New Member

Joined: 07/09/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks so much. Sent you a p.m... That is very sweet!
We have a friend in Denali - that's why 3 nights not 2...
Will look at the train... and Homer... I was afraid to overbook too many places... that's about 3.5 to 4 hours from Seward or Anchorage - right?

Ivylog wrote:

Congrats on 25 years and you are seeing AK the best way possible... a one way cruise and renting a Class C. Might want to look into taking the train to ANC instead. Do not worry about driving the C as they handle very well and should come with all you need. I would not spend three days at Denali and I would get to Talkeetna on the 26th and take a flight seeing trip. Then two days at Denali will be plenty and then head down to Seward. I would also include Homer in your trip.
PM me with your address as I have one Alaska TourSaver book that will get you 2 for 1. Still lots of coupons in it as we were there in May and many did not start until June. Also have coupons for Seward wildlife tours. Let it be my Anniversary present to you.


ddkphotos

Alaska

New Member

Joined: 07/09/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks! Will check them out!
we definitely aren't hikers - but I figured we'd spend Friday getting there from wherever we are... we did want to spend at least one day taking the park bus up to Wonder lake... Sundy probably chilling with our friends and then Monday taking our time getting back down to Seward...
PA12DRVR wrote:

If the weather is still nice when you spend your night in Los Anchorage, have a cold brew on the deck of the Snow Goose tavern (or, if you taste is otherwise, have a martini in the bar at Simon & Seaforts next to the window). The views of the mountains across the inlet have been spectacular lately.

Unless you have a long list of specifics to do there, I wouldn't spend a lot of time in/at Denali.....a young persons dream spot to hike, etc, but the touristy activities around the park entrance are almost repulsive.


sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

Senior Member

Joined: 08/05/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/10/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

for your husband, know that the park tour bus to Wonder Lake is not much more than a glorified school bus. 12 hours on that bus can be very tiring on a fussy back. The stops along the way are nice, and likely he'll want to get out of the bus too, and that will include the bus stairs up & down which will add to the stiffness. I'm fairly active with my fussy back, but still found that day trip somewhat fatiguing on the spine and was hobbling my way back to the RV after it was over.

One of the tour operators might be better able to accommodate your husband's needs, and make the day completely enjoyable.


sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

 > Excited for first RV trip to Alaska!! help making itinerary
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS