RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Excited for first RV trip to Alaska!! help making itinerary

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Excited for first RV trip to Alaska!! help making itinerary

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the first 25, the next 25 will be even better especially since you are now discovering a new way of life, RVing. I agree with the shorter stay in Danali, in one day, take the bus ride to the end of the road and back the next day, and then take your flightseeing trip. The flight seeing trips are good from either Denali or Talketna but some of the expats from the lower 48 that have settled there are less than nice folks. Don't get me wrong, I love Talketna, great town and locals are as nice as folks could be anywhere in the world, but the newcomers can ruin a good breakfast. Then head for the Kenai, Homer side one day and Seward side one day. National Parks tour of Fijordlands NP is best one going. Look them up on line and pick your tour. Homer Spit is cool, have a beer or soda at the Salty Dog. The Hildstrand Bros. have a shop there. They Co-Captain the Time Bandit as shown on Deadlist Catch TV show. Homer Brewing Co. is a must stop for us but not real exciting place just nice brews. Museum in town is great. Lots of stuff on the Good Friday EQ and Exxon Valdez spill. The public campground in Seward is nice, on the water but busy and hard to find a place sometimes. I wish you had more time but before your next trip up there, make a post and there are a lot of us with favorite places. Post with questions early on for your next trip before you make reservation anywhere, better places to stay and if you rent again lots of secrets about who to rent from and how to get good rates. Take two camers and lots of memory, post some pictures when you get back and tell us how you feel about RVing and Alaska.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)

ddkphotos

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks that's good to know!
sue.t wrote:

for your husband, know that the park tour bus to Wonder Lake is not much more than a glorified school bus. 12 hours on that bus can be very tiring on a fussy back. The stops along the way are nice, and likely he'll want to get out of the bus too, and that will include the bus stairs up & down which will add to the stiffness. I'm fairly active with my fussy back, but still found that day trip somewhat fatiguing on the spine and was hobbling my way back to the RV after it was over.

One of the tour operators might be better able to accommodate your husband's needs, and make the day completely enjoyable.

ddkphotos

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks so much David!!!
sbishop wrote:

Congrats on the first 25, the next 25 will be even better especially since you are now discovering a new way of life, RVing. I agree with the shorter stay in Danali, in one day, take the bus ride to the end of the road and back the next day, and then take your flightseeing trip. The flight seeing trips are good from either Denali or Talketna but some of the expats from the lower 48 that have settled there are less than nice folks. Don't get me wrong, I love Talketna, great town and locals are as nice as folks could be anywhere in the world, but the newcomers can ruin a good breakfast. Then head for the Kenai, Homer side one day and Seward side one day. National Parks tour of Fijordlands NP is best one going. Look them up on line and pick your tour. Homer Spit is cool, have a beer or soda at the Salty Dog. The Hildstrand Bros. have a shop there. They Co-Captain the Time Bandit as shown on Deadlist Catch TV show. Homer Brewing Co. is a must stop for us but not real exciting place just nice brews. Museum in town is great. Lots of stuff on the Good Friday EQ and Exxon Valdez spill. The public campground in Seward is nice, on the water but busy and hard to find a place sometimes. I wish you had more time but before your next trip up there, make a post and there are a lot of us with favorite places. Post with questions early on for your next trip before you make reservation anywhere, better places to stay and if you rent again lots of secrets about who to rent from and how to get good rates. Take two camers and lots of memory, post some pictures when you get back and tell us how you feel about RVing and Alaska.

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At Denali, there used to be a road house dinner theater that was awesome!
Do you have your Class C reservations made? What company. Great Alaskan Holidays is an excellent company. I would purchase the insurance as we cracked a windshield. In Valdez, we took the boat Lulu Belle. Awesome! http://lulubelletours.com/
The train from Anchorage to Denali is great. We left the RV in Anchorage and took the train up to Denali, stayed overnight at the lodge and took the train back to Anchorage for our flight home.
You will be limited on what you can see in 8 days because it takes much longer to get from point A to point B in Alaska. Don't forget to use their Boats, planes, and ferries to see parts of Alaska.
Enjoy your trip!

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

ddkphotos

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would love dinner theatre!
And we booked with Great Alaskan!
Will have to convince hubby about the extra insurance...
thanks so much!
sdianel wrote:

Do you have your Class C reservations made? What company. Great Alaskan Holidays is an excellent company. I would purchase the insurance as we cracked a windshield. In Valdez, we took the boat Lulu Belle. Awesome! http://lulubelletours.com/
The train from Anchorage to Denali is great. We left the RV in Anchorage and took the train up to Denali, stayed overnight at the lodge and took the train back to Anchorage for our flight home.
You will be limited on what you can see in 8 days because it takes much longer to get from point A to point B in Alaska. Don't forget to use their Boats, planes, and ferries to see parts of Alaska.
Enjoy your trip!

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"We really enjoyed the Sea Life Center"
X 2 and well worth the $20. Sorry, but we used that coupon. There is a city CG right next to the parking lot for it that we dry camped in. North of downtown is a free dump station and water fill plus several other $15 city CGs on the water.
No need of reservations except on weekends so I'd say you are over planning your trip. The beauty of a MH is you do not need hookups and there are plenty of dump stations... most for free. Many gas stations have free dump and water.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might try cheating and look at the itinerary for Adventure Caravans tour of Alaska. The Howens have a good video out of their trip to Alaska.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

Oldtymr

Lake Tapps, Washington, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 11:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Figure an average speed of 45 mph on the "highways" and take your time. Mosquitos are in decline. Yea! We flew to Katmai for bear viewing with Homer Air out of Homer and had blast! Take a lightweight camp chair to sit on. Slow walking, no race horsing. We also took Major Marine's Kenai Fjords all-day cruise. Hubby can sit inside in comfort while you bounce around the railing taking pictures. Excellent food and Iceberg margaritas, too! The road in Denali is all torn up and will be 'til next year they say. They're repairing frost heaves and putting in new drainage. Rough ride no matter how you go. We went all the way to Kantishna and won't do that again. Going as far as Wonder lake isn't much shorter. Maybe go to Eielson VC? Great view of McKinley if out.
Have fun and congrats on 25 years!
Geri

Retired: Every day is Saturday!
2004 Chevy 3500,D-Max,LB7,DRW,4X4,Allison,CC,LB
AFE Air Induction,Banks 4" Exhaust,J&J SS Boards & Flaps
16K Hijacker Hitch,Prodigy Brake
2004 HitchHiker 33LKTG
Datastorm F1/D3/7000 * Wireless!

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 12:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After restocking in Anchorage you might want to just drive as far as Palmer for your first night. The RV parks are nicer up there. We would also recommend that in Denali just take the shuttle bus tour to Eielson Visitor Center. That, in itself, is a long day. The drive to Wonder Lake isn't the prettiest part - it's before Eielson! You'll want to spend some time at the Visitor Center, too. It has some good displays and a prime view of "The Mountain" if it's showing that day. Also, Wonder Lake is the place for mosquitos!! Talkeetna is the place to book the flight trip for hubby. If you're short on time and can't do both, we would choose Seward over Homer. We love them both but Seward has a little more to offer. The city park is a wonderful place to stay. It's right on the water and you'll have otters and other critters right outside your window along with gorgeous views. It sounds like a great trip! Congratulations.

Full-Timers for 16+ Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2004 Jeep Liberty

ddkphotos

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/12 05:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good news - he did get the insurance!

ddkphotos wrote:

I would love dinner theatre!
And we booked with Great Alaskan!
Will have to convince hubby about the extra insurance...
thanks so much!
sdianel wrote:

Enjoy your trip!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Excited for first RV trip to Alaska!! help making itinerary
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS