RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Newfoundland: have 20 days must see..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Newfoundland: have 20 days must see..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ccchuck

The Shoals, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newfoundland: have 20 days must see..Your input sought.. please..

rv2go

Fulltime (Knoxville, TN).... or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This could be a good starting point.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
www.rv2go.us
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

Seamutt

Prince George BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/12 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Below is from an earlier post of mine. Twenty days is not long enough but if thats all you got go for it. Pass on the side trip to Labrador then. There are two ferries to NFLD, both leave from North Sidney in Nova scotia but have differnt destinations. The short ferry to Port aus Basques-6 hours and the long ferry to Argentia-16 hours. Read the history of Argentia during WW2. I would recommend taking the short ferry, then work your way across NFLD and take the long ferry back. Yes it is expensive but when you factour in fuel and time back to the short ferry it works out. Take in Twillingate and Brigus. Also try to see any traditional Newfi entertainment. Signal Hill ST. Johns

In Nova Scotia on your way to North Sidney to catch the ferry to NFLD watch for a place called Lick A Chick. It is a takeout, eat in, fried chicken place with other offering, and with their own ice cream variations, excellent. Go with all the before mentioned food suggestions. Another dish is using scruntchions, small cubes of pork used with salted cod to re hydrate the cod, then hard tack bread is added and the whole dish is called fisherman's brewis. Couple of times had moose stew. If you want a basic RV park cheap, no hookups, has showers, awesome view, did I say awesome view, and beach combing, turn off the HWY 430 to St Anthony, head for Port au Choix. The RV park will be on the water side. I cannot remember what it is called, but maybe Kinsmen or the name of another service club. We also caught the ferry over to Labrador, dirt cheap. Three years ago it was less than a buck a foot. When off the ferry we drove up to L'Anse-au-Loop and parked in the gravel parking lot at the government wharf, loads of room for free. Used this as our base for a couple of days. An elderly newfi walked down and had a chat with us. His accent was very strong and I missed most of what he was saying. The main road can be rough and narrow in spots but quite dueable. We were right on the water and at that time there where two big icebergs grounded in front of us. I would collect ice off them that washed ashore and use it in my adult beverage. Ice from Greenland, thousand of years old. Drove up as far as Red Bay Take the boat cruise up Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne park. Go into Twillingate and north of there in Crow Head a group puts on a dinner show that is very interesting. The actors if they are still doing this are no spring chickens most of them, cook the supper, serve it, clean up, then put on the show. Lots of fun. At St John's We stayed at Blue Fin untill we could get into Pippy's. Blue Fin is a lot nicer though about 35K out of town. Pippy's is right in town. If you go to Bonavista which I recommend and want to see birds called Puffins up close better than any paid tour, drive into Elliston and ask where to see the Puffins. On Google earth look at Elliston, due east across a bay there is a point, go out there. You will almost trip over them. NFLD awesome place to visit. Oh head for George ST. in St. John's. Also while there if interested, go for a ride on a moving ship simulator at the Marine Institute.

2007 Okanagan 26 RLS Dual 6v.
2001 Chev. 8.1 L 4X4

MR MAC

BOSTON MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your driving all the way from AL and back in just 20 days, your going to read about it after you get back. Your going through NB & NS which are beautyfull with a lot of things to see and do, if you've never gone to them plan that trip, and do NF when you have more time.

ROBERT L MC INTYRE

ccchuck

The Shoals, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MR MAC wrote:

If your driving all the way from AL and back in just 20 days, your going to read about it after you get back. Your going through NB & NS which are beautyfull with a lot of things to see and do, if you've never gone to them plan that trip, and do NF when you have more time.

Not quite..
the 20 days is on the Rock...
tell about "beautyfull with a lot of things to see"...

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again I say, from google.ca search for Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism and use the build it yourself feature.

There is lots of nature and gorgeous scenery in Newfoundland and Labrador and there is lots of history. As well as community historical theatre.

Gros Morne National Park has community involvement which makes is much more than many another national park. Walks, visitors centres (2) Boat tours up the fjords call ponds (both north and south of Bonne Bay) and Gros Morne Theatre Festival, not to mention Woody Point artistic events All mean you could spend almost all of your time there.

Northern Peninsula is almost a separate history.

Eastern Newfoundland was settled first. The capital is St. John's with historic buildings and provincial museums and archives. Pippy Park. Major shipping anchorage in WWII.

I have to say if you like musuems I prefer the community ones, staffed by people who live there.

Two one offs: 1. St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary. Thousands of Birds live on island of rock just off the coast. 2. Tablelands in Gros Morne. Geologicall this is rock and other stuff brought up from inside the earth. It doesn't grow much and is special because of this.

That's well over a month to my mind, but I'll stop. (ps. lived there 24.5 years)

Trinity Pagent

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

ccchuck

The Shoals, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I left the wrong impression here..
of course I use the various net sites before I go any where, of course I use guidebooks, etc., but I always invite actual RV folks to offer their best experiences - and usually find one or two pearls I might have missed or underrated.
BTW, this will be our 10th trip to Canada, our first to NL.
I do appreciate the help and hope more will be forthcoming.

FiverBob

Sarasota, Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camped beside a native Newfie on PEI. I told him we had three weeks for NF - - where should I concentrate my time. He told me stay on the west side. Take the short ferry to Port aux Basque. Very nice RV park in Codroy for coming and going from the ferry. Work your way up to Rocky Harbor and hang out a couple days seeing all the wonderful little bay towns, Gros Morne (hike back in and take the boat back into the fiord), then work north to Pistolet Bay Prov. Park. From there take in St. Anthony (if early, look for the huge icebergs), go all the way to the tip to Cape Onion and up on the hill by the cemetery if you are a photographer - - wow. Take your lunch - - picnic tables right there with stunning scenery. You can look across as Labrador from there on a clear day. Take the tour that originates right there in Pistolet park - - very fascinating and educational. Lots of moose in the park and you might even see the northern lights one night. L'Anse aux Meadows viking village is right in that area - - very interesting. Then work your way back down with maybe an overnight in WallyWorld in Corner Brook. Enchanting island. I agree with others - - I wish we had at least one more week there and I still would have stayed on the west side. The east side is mostly a bunch of big cities and a long (16 or so hours) ferry ride and quite expensive.

Bob

2003 Dodge 3500 HO dually 6 speed Laramie, Jordan Controller, RDS aux tank/tool box, Bremen boards, RamAirIII, Jacobs EBrake, Air Safe 25K hitch
Carriage 36' Triple slide Fiver, Onan Gen, Sat, Prosine Inv., MORryd IS and pinbox

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh Dear Bob,

Ok, I lived on the west coast of NL (official abbreviation for province) all of my time residing there (1983-2008). Yes, tend to favour west coast, but.....

But to say east coast is only cities. AHEM!. Lots of towns yes, cities, sorry. Mount Pearl is around 25,000. St. John's, 100,000. Few evem around 10,000. Trinity Pageant, Lots of bays, museums, lovely scenry and and and and. St. John's is loaded with history. St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary. Terra Nova National Park.

Not to mention circumnavigating Red Indian Lake. Oh My.

Burgeo. Rent a canoe and paddle leisurely among the islands.

woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont know what your driving, but you can pull over just about anywhere
for the night.

If you want a park, go to any of the Provincial parks, they are nicely
laid out, quiet, clean, lovely staff.
With a 20.00 permit,one time purchase, you can stay for $9.75 per
night. If you are 65.

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow Longbox 200 Watts Solar, LED lights.
12 Volt DC Fridge.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Newfoundland: have 20 days must see..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS