|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Using Bronco Camper on Jacks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Christl

Southern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/12 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to find out if you can safely use a 1251 Bronco pop-up while it on jacks and off the truck. If so, is there any precautions one should take?

* This post was edited 07/29/12 07:14pm by Christl *

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

answerswillvary

eastern washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/12 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved to Truck Campers

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockplucker wrote:

Your camper must always be supported when off your truck. we use short sawhorses we made especially for it.

Is this true? We unload our TC all the time. At home we do have it lowered onto 2 supports that was suggested by someone on this forum. We don't bring them with us while camping as they won't fit anywhere.

We lower the TC as low as possible without hurting the jacks for stability.

What does everyone do while off the truck?

The company told us it was designed to be used off the truck and there is no info in the literature.

What do you do if you on uneven ground? No ground is ever perfectly level.

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

rockplucker

Traverse City MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your camper must always be supported when off your truck. we use short sawhorses we made especially for it.

Christl

Southern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/12 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Rockplucker: Are you specifically referring to a Palominio Bronco or any truck camper that they need to be supported when off the truck. How many short saw horses do you use under the floor, 2 (one at each end) or 3 (each end plus 1 in the middle)? Are the truck camper jacks still used to support a portion of the wieght of the truck camper? Approximatgely how high off the ground does the saw horses hold the truck camper in inches?
Thanks for the response. Christl

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm bumping this thread back up so that we can find out more info on this always support your TC off the truck concept.

What do those do while camping OFF THE TRUCK?

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upon my research I am seeing a lot of pictures with the TC's not supported. Especially on the dealer lots.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Lynnsr

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on the camper, all units are slightly different, contact your manufacturer

We use ours off the truck on the jacks without additional supports all the time.

Lynnsr

K0LFM Call Sign
Northern Lite 8-11 Q Classic SE
Pro-Craft 180 Bass boat
2003 GMC Sierra 2500, SuperSprings, Torklifts & Fastguns, Ride-Rites w/dual Control, Helwig rear sway bar, "E" rated 16" 10 ply Michelins, Heavy Duty Pads & Rotors

Christl

Southern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of manuals, I found some information in the Palomino Manual (all types)this morning that may be relevant and therefore is triggering me to obtain further clarification.
1. On page 24, Section 3 Weighing and Loading, it states in item 5 at the top of the page "Always lower the camper close to ground level". I ask how low does this mean to the ground (6 inches or 18 inches or 2 feet) Is this statement meant for application during extended storage periods or during periods forecasting windy conditions (> 30 mph) or is it expected that one should adhere to this all the time when the unit is off the truck including at the camp site?
2. Next it states in big bold words on page 24:
DO NOT use tall sawhorses, cider blocks, etc. to support the camper in the raised position.
DO NOT enter or occupy the camper while it is in a raised position.
NOTE: THE MAVERICK CAMPER IS DESIGNED TO BE USED WHILE STANDING ON THE JACKS IN A LOWERED POSITION WITHOUT DAMAGE TO THE CAMPER; HOWEVER, THE BRONCO WILL NEED ADDITIONAL SUPPORT.
The word "raised" was clarified to me by a Palomino dealer to mean "in the raised position for loading". This implies that it should be much lower if you are going to use it while off the truck. I can only use the fold-away stairs if the Bronco is 2 feet off the ground and that is approx. 6 to 8 inches lower then when on the truck (this lowered height makes it much more steady). I also use a short 2 ft. support from floor to ground in the middle of the door to help take a little of the wieght while having and using the camper off the truck as the floor sags about 1/4 inch and tends to start jamming the camper door a little. Any other clarifcation from anyone is appreicated. I would sure want to know if this is a dangerous thing we are doing with our Bronco.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Using Bronco Camper on Jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS