|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> More on Jerky Treats

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link

Click here for more information and which product is affected.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There always seems to be a post about killer chinese dog treats. I just read an ingredient label of a USA treat that will be deposited in the garbage. Ingredients: Ground wheat, ground corn, ground, chicken byproducts,???, feet, heads, feathers,?? Animal digests that's the contents of the intestines, along with a bunch of chemicals to keep it from rotting. . Most of this garbage, if made in china with additives, could kill your pet. Computing cost, these killer treats cost 4-5-6 dollars a pound. I buy London Broil at $2.30# cube it, 1/2 x 1/2, roast it, and I get pure 100% lean USDA Choice treat for my dogs for $2.30#. Don't believe me, check it out.. Think about it. It's sad..

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Real meat is always better. I either cook a chicken or go by my store's deli counter and get a baked chicken quarter or two....I eat part for dinner, take off the skin where all the salt is, and then break them up into bits and put them in a bag in the freezer. Voila, chicken treats any time I need them. The dogs think they've died and gone to heaven, and I don't have any concerns about someone in China or anywhere else poluting their treats. Beef is fine too.

They don't need big hunks, they will enjoy a small bit of real meat just as well or better... it has actual flavor to it.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

AZPops

Wherever the Job takes us...

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 03:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Code2High wrote:

Real meat is always better. I either cook a chicken or go by my store's deli counter and get a baked chicken quarter or two....I eat part for dinner, take off the skin where all the salt is, and then break them up into bits and put them in a bag in the freezer. Voila, chicken treats any time I need them. The dogs think they've died and gone to heaven, and I don't have any concerns about someone in China or anywhere else poluting their treats. Beef is fine too.

They don't need big hunks, they will enjoy a small bit of real meat just as well or better... it has actual flavor to it.

N' Don't Forget NOT to Smear Too Much of the Chicken or Steak Gravy on ur fingers, or you'll take the risk of losing one, or more of'um when you feed'um to us!

Calvin

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerrybo66 wrote:

There always seems to be a post about killer chinese dog treats. I just read an ingredient label of a USA treat that will be deposited in the garbage. Ingredients: Ground wheat, ground corn, ground, chicken byproducts,???, feet, heads, feathers,?? Animal digests that's the contents of the intestines, along with a bunch of chemicals to keep it from rotting. . Most of this garbage, if made in china with additives, could kill your pet. Computing cost, these killer treats cost 4-5-6 dollars a pound. I buy London Broil at $2.30# cube it, 1/2 x 1/2, roast it, and I get pure 100% lean USDA Choice treat for my dogs for $2.30#. Don't believe me, check it out.. Think about it. It's sad..

It is sad. And yet, some ppl continue to buy this stuff. I've done the same with meat -- also, if we have bagels that get stale, I'll slice them down and dry them out in the oven. They get crunchy that way. The dogs love them. I've also used pure pumpkin and froze it in bone shaped ice trays. They love one of those on a hot day.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, there are way too many people who've been brainwashed into believing that anything that looks remotely like the stuff we eat is somehow bad for dogs, or that it will instantly turn their dog into an unceasing beggar, that they can't begin to conceive of fixing something nutritious and home-made for their dogs. They (rather proudly) proclaim that their dog never, ever eats any people/human food. And yet those same people almost certainly understand the health benefits of fresh, unprocessed food for themselves. Go figure.

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Locally grown organic, from a farm you know.
Today that is the ONLY way you can actually know what we are consuming.

Here's 2 USA additives that the rest of the world considers dangerous enough that they ban the import of USA beef and pork!

Ractopamine and clenbuterol

Both of these are found in ""all"" USA beef and pork.

It wasn't until just a few years ago that they stopped using clenbuterol due to how dangerous it was.

Which means you and I and all our pets have ALL been eating it for years! How many of us lost pets to lung or heart problems during all those years?
clenbuterol
Clenbuterol residues can affect lung and heart function in persons who have eaten liver or meat of animals given the drug...

Ractopamine
VERY interestingly Tawain, China and several other countries BAN the used of ractopamine and will NOT allow USA beef into their country.

Just recently Tawain is considering lifting the ban of US beef it it passes, the beef will be labeled with warnings of how much beef consumption per week would be considered safe. The Taiwanese people say that even if the ban is lifted they will not buy it.

about 100 countries (China, and EU with its 27 member states and other countries) have prohibited the use of ractopamine as leanness-enhancing agent.5 In Taiwan, shipments of beef from the USA are reported to be rejected by the health authority, due to positive result for ractopamine tested with the beef. There is still no global consensus on the safety of the feed additive.

The whole rest of the world considers Ractopamine as so unsafe they ban US beef from entering their country.....but the US still uses it.

WHAT is wrong with this picture? What's wrong with it is the Cattleman's Association and other's like it drive our economy so what THEY want to use is what ultimately is allowed with total disregard for our safety.

Hmmm, so does that mean that if China stops putting melamine in pet food and can clean up their salmonella problems......perhaps THEIR beef treats ARE SAFER?!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

Unfortunately, there are way too many people who've been brainwashed into believing that anything that looks remotely like the stuff we eat is somehow bad for dogs, or that it will instantly turn their dog into an unceasing beggar, that they can't begin to conceive of fixing something nutritious and home-made for their dogs. They (rather proudly) proclaim that their dog never, ever eats any people/human food. And yet those same people almost certainly understand the health benefits of fresh, unprocessed food for themselves. Go figure.

Years ago, people fed their dogs table scraps. The fatty gravies and sauces, etc can wreak havoc with a dog. I think pancreatitis incidence is higher around the holidays when ppl give their dogs a turkey dinner.

That said, ppl food in general I think is good for them, if you are selective about what you give them. Mine like carrots, green beans, chicken, beef, a bite of pizza crust here and there....

Moderation and wise choices are the key, as in anything.

I never dreamed that in my lifetime, I would feel like I was playing Russian Roulette every time the dog food bin gets empty.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> More on Jerky Treats
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS