|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Emergency Road Service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Reb

Opelika, AL

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/02 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking of getting ERS for the upcoming camping season. Nothing would suck more than to have a breakdown/tow take up all our vacation funds! Can any of you folks recommend a good ERS?
Cost? Coverage? Of course I have full coverage insurance (State Farm) to cover my truck and fiver, but I've gotta wreck 'em before the benefits of having it kicks in [emoticon]
Thanks in advance!

Reb

Ken Saville

Palmyra,NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/02 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reb: We have had Good Sam ERS for many years and they have been good for us. The regular price is $99.95 a year and covers all of your owned vehicles for breakdown, flat tires (as long as you have a spare), lock out and run out of gas.

You can get it at most RV shows where Good Sam has a booth for $79.95. Also if you are a life member of Good Sam you get 15 months of coverage for the price of 12 months.

I bet you are thinking that I work for Good Sam and I do. We work shows for them and I am the Past State Director from here in NJ so we have heard ALL kinds of stories about road service. Believe me if you wish but we hear a lot more good about Good Sam ERS than all the others. We have also had to use ours and can honestly say that they have been great.

Hope this helps you. I know that we will not go on the road without it. Happy travels, Ken

1Thom

Fulltimer,on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/02 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reb: A short story about GS ERS, Stuck on a mountainside on a Holiday weekend, Got lucky and the Cell phone worked with a booster and pluged in to the truck. GS called around to find a rig big enough to get us out. Gs called back and said they were sorry but the closest rig they could find big enough was over one hundred miles away and it would take them about an hour and a half to get there. GS apoligized profusely at the length of time we would have to wait but that the rig was on the way. There are probably a couple other services that would go that far and cover the entire bill"not many". We are simply incredibly pleased with GS ERS. Oh by the way we had purchased the ERS only 6 days prior to the incident. Moral = cross country and trailers don't mix reguardless of the beauty of the site

03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole Michelin XDE-MS 245/70R19.5 H Mobile Suites 36TK3 #3151 fulltime Blog at www.jggrafx.com/ftroadrunners

elh0146

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/02 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Good Sam ERS and have had to use it on two different occasions with good results.

Ken: I was surprised, however, to read that if you are a lifetime member of Good Sam, you could get the ERS for 15 months for the price of 12 months. This sure is news to us! We've been lifetime members for over 3 years now and have never been told of this...we've paid the $99.95 each year. Where is this information published? It isn't on the bill we receive each year, nor is it in my ERS Member Handbook, or in the Good Sam Membership Handbook. If it's true, looks like we've been overcharged for ERS for the past 3 years!

w4wwq

Forest, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/02 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doing the math - 15 months for 99.95 is the same as 12 months for 79.95, or $6.66 a month. Looks like you just need to remember to sign up at a show.
Pete

elh0146

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/02 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, here's the deal. I called Good Sam ERS to inquire about the 15 months for 12 months deal. Yes, it's true; HOWEVER, for only the first year. They looked up my records and, sure enough, I had never been credited for the extra 3 months so they're going to send me new cards showing an extended renew date.

I would imagine that the $79.95 membership fee is only for members signing up for the first time. As a current member of Good Sam ERS, I doubt I could show up at a show and pay only $79.95...Ken?

Ken Saville

Palmyra,NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/02 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We work a booth every year at the Harrisburg, Pa show and generally one here in NJ. However this year they sent us to the Rockland, County, NY show in Feb. We sell the road service at all the shows and if you are a lifetime member you get 15 months for $79.95. I don't know anything about the one time offer you are talking about. I personally just renewed for the second time under the 15 month program and received the 15 months. In fact we use it as a selling tool as instructed in our show paperwork and I don't know of anyone that has not received it.

We did have a problem two years ago when we first renewed under the 15 month program and when the cards came back they were for 12 months. We called and they sent us new cards with the 3 months added on By doing this every 5th years winds up being free. As long as they run this program I plan on taking advantage of it and will offer it to members at the table.

You are aware that even if your membership (ERS) is not expired you can renew at the show and receive the 15 month offer and the time will be added to your membership. That is if you are a life member.

If you are at the Rockland County, NY show please stop over and say hello.

Ken

*This Message was edited on 23-Jan-02 02:20 PM by Ken Saville*

The $79.75 is the show price. New or renewal it is $79.95 for all owned (garaged at you home) vehicles.

*This Message was edited on 23-Jan-02 02:23 PM by Ken Saville*

MistyK1

Clearlake, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/02 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Must recomment GS ERS w/the highest rating!!!

They not only arrived w/in 1/2 hr. *exactly as stated* but w/2 tow trucks. One truck for the 5th wheel & one truck for our F350 4dr. dually that had blown the top of the radiator on a major incline going over some mountain in Southern California. It was cold, windy, and miserable.
They drivers obviously had lots of experience since it was their usual route.

Good Sam Emergency Road Service will always have us as customers as long as we are RVers!!

We also have their auto insurance which no one else can touch for the price!!!
If they had homeowners, they'd probably have this also!!

K.

5erdriver

Ross, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/02 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never felt like I needed any kind of road service because I have been mechanic for over 45 years. Several years ago though it dawned on me that something may happen to my wife's car when I wasn't around to help.

So we signed up with AAA as well as obtaining a cell phone. (They had just come out). As an earlier post stated, a few weeks later we were on the way to Panama City Florida when the radiator on the suburban we used to have blew.

We used the new cell phone to contact AAA and within 10 minutes a wrecker company called to get our exact location. He showed up about 15 minutes later and towed the entire unit to the camp ground, about 35 miles. The cost was was $0.00 because we had AAA. The cost this year for the "Plus Plan" which covers ANY THING she and I drive, including the camper is $79.00.

I know the Good Sam program works well too, but, it's not the only one. AAA works for us.

5erdriver
2001 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, SB, Cummins
2002 Cougar 276EFS

Larmoll1

North Ridgeville , Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/02 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5erdriver
That happened to me twice first with a TT the second time with a 5r. AAA would not pay for the tow for the 5r. Can't tow a truck and a fifth wheel at the same time. Now have GS. they will tow both.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Emergency Road Service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS