RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: K/M resorts?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
ibsharkie

Silverdale, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/02 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all. I am looking for information on K/M resorts of America. Is this an up and up organization? Are there hidden rules that are not explained during the seminar but pop up while trying to use your membership? I'll take both positive and negative feedback if anybody has any. Thanks!

Jeff

Wilbur4321

Renton, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/02 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff,

We're members there; feel free to mail me personally if you have any more questions (randy at soniasgifts dot com).

I'm not sure what they pass in their sales presenetation nowadays, but here's some differences that we've noted...

In Maple Grove, the pool was NOT open year-round (I think it is this year, however), and the other parks do NOT have an indoor pool (actually, only Traveller's Inn has one at all, if I remember)

All the parks that I've been to (all but Old American in the east side of the state) have had great people and clean, quality facilities. Nothing spectacular mind you. Decent, but not large, spaces, limited to no trees (Maple Grove does have a section for smaller rigs in the trees). Great people, both running the parks and neighbors, very friendly and helpful. They all seem to be light on activities the resort, other than the one with golding, but they are in great locations for taking off and doing things during the day.

$2/night for cable plus $1/night for electricity, so it's not free like they tried to pass off. I think it is $2/night for 50amp, but I'm not sure.

They have moved to a reservations based system, but I've never had a problem just showing up, either (although I haven't tried that during the summer, might be a problem then).

Don't know what their overall financial situation is; they certainly have a fair amount of debt, but they seem to be actively selling memberships and upgrading all the parks, so....

IF you buy it for RPI parks, they don't tell you the little detail that you MUST make reservations for those.

Of course, whether you'll use it enough to justify it's cost is quite another matter. We find it's nice, even if it doesn't justify itself economically, because we know the quality of each place will be nice to stay.

Remember also that there are at least three other major resort players in the area. I think they'll all be at the RV show in Seattle this weekend, I would check them out. One has a park in Fall City, the other in Black Diamond, both of which are considerably closer than any KM park if that matters to you.

1998 Palm Breeze 32.5'
me, wife and 7 little ones! (yes, kids!)
Our pictures

Rufinit

Seattle WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/02 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff,

When we bought our first motorhome, the tried to give us a membership as part of the purchase. We kept getting calls bugging us to join. They were actually annoying and unprofessional and would not get our name off their list. The catch was that it is a lifetime membership, meaning if you don't want it anymore, you must sell it or keep paying dues forever. Heard some horror stories on that provision.

If you want a KM membership, there should be some on the open market free or very cheap, since someone most likely wants to get from under paying dues, and they didn't pay anything for it to begin with. KM may be selling a different program than the giveaway so check them out closely. Their Ocean Mist park at Ocean Shores is pretty nice. Drove past it a few times.

Joe in Seattle
2006 Newmar Essex 4502
2003 Honda CRV EX
Winter: Outdoor Resorts Motorcoach Country Club, Indio CA

ibsharkie

Silverdale, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/02 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply. I called the campsite we're going to tomorrow and they confirmed that there was currently a $1 charge for electrical. I called the K/M main office and complained about the "hidden" charge and questioned the future of the charges. I was promised a paper that would exempt me from future electrical or other hookup charges. Granted it's only a buck or two, but it's a hidden expense. Apparently, the electricity costs have been high lately, therefore the defraying of costs to the customers. Makes sense, but still not acceptable. Hope to see you out in the one of the sites!

2001 Fleetwood Prowler
1999 Ford Expedition

Todd

Graham, Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/02 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi there Jeff.
We joined K/M last May. Of course they sold us on the more expensive package.
But i am happy with it.
With the package we got a membership to Coast to Coast.
Our first trip was down to Randle Wa. to Maple Grove. Very nice place and clean.
They have an indoor pool and a nice golf course.

Next we went to Soap Lake in Eastern Washington.
Nice place. Huge outdoor pool,putt-putt golf.
Real clean

Next was to O'Sullivans Sportsmans in Eastern Washington.
If your a fisherman this is the place to be.
Real COLD pool but lots of grass.
Check out my site to see some pictures.

These are the only places we have been to. I know we paid alot for the package but we had a great time.
Give me a buzz if you need any other info.

*This Message was edited on 10-Feb-02 11:02 AM by Todd*

Todd
'97 GMC Yukon
'01 Kiwi 23b
http://home.att.net/~fagering4/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Buhbuhnot

Gig Harbor, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/02 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe, Just came back from a K/M presentation today. They pushed us pretty hard for a 6000 dollar membership. When we balked at the price and tried to bail they dropped it to 2500. It includes the Coast to coast affiliation as well as the RPI. They also absorbed the admin costs, the RPI fee and the first year dues. After that, they are frozen at 325. We have not bought yet, but are considering. We own a Liesure Time arrangement that was given to us be a relative. They were purchased by Thousand Trails last summer and many of their resorts are in flux. May opt out of this arrangement and buy the K/M deal. The reason I am responding to your email was this: I specifically asked them if I could opt out of the contract years down the road should by life style change or just change my mind etc. They said they did not care to hold me to the yearly dues once the initial fees were paid. I want the flexibility to take a hike should I decide it is best at a point later down the road. I will ask them to put it in writing should we decide to buy from them. You were right about them being border line annoying. They still are. I will let you know what we decide. Where would you find these things on the open market. Thanks, Mark in Gig Harbor, WA (2002 Winnebago 35U---3rd Winnie, 5th MH overall)

Buhbuhnot

Gig Harbor, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/02 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw a presentation today as well. It is about par for the way these things are done. They started pushing to sell us the 6000 dollar package. When we tried to leave they came down to 2500 with no tax, or admin fees, or RPI fees, or first years dues. It also includes the C to C and RPI priveleges as well. I did not like the 125 mile rule because they said I had to use the part at Elma for a home park. The 2500 deal waived the 125 mile rule as well.....Still have not decided to do it, but I am told they have first rate parks to use. I especially liked the presento on the park at Randall. Let me know what you do. Don't settle for the 6000 dollar deal, they will come down.

Good Luck, Mark in Gig Harbor, WA
(2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U--3rd Winnie, 5th MH overall)

Buhbuhnot

Gig Harbor, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/02 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wilbur...They gave us the same spiel you referred to concerning the overchage for the electricity. They must be somewhat solvent as they said they are about to close on a new park in Blaine, WA this spring. Your current membership will get you into that park as well.

Mark in Gig Harbor, WA
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U--3rd Winnie, 5th MH overall.

Rufinit

Seattle WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/02 12:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark,

In the classified in Motorhome magazine and other similar publications you will find a bunch of companies that do resales. One is campground membership outlet: 1-800 272-0401 and website is www.membershipresale.com, another has a phone number: 1 800 430-0002, another is Resort campground resales at: 1 800 444-4456, another is resort resale services LTD. at 1 800 395-1678

I think the dues they are quoting you are high. Also another post you noted they would waive the 125 rule. This is a coast ot coast and RPI rule not theirs. You can use any of the K/M parks. It's the other coast to coast parks that are within 125 miles of your Elma park that you cannot use. Make sure and get everything in writing. If you plan on using their parks a lot, then it may be a good deal. If you are looking to use coast to coast or RPI more, then it may not be the best deal for you. You have to decide what you want it for and how it best fits your needs. Good luck in your decision and keep us informed. This is educational for all of us.

*This Message was edited on 17-Feb-02 12:52 AM by Rufinit*

Rufinit

Seattle WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/02 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark,

In case you didn't notice, my reply got inserted above after your earlier response.

Joe

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS