RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is it legal to drive a MH with the propane on?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is it legal to drive a MH with the propane on?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
DaveP

Hudson, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/02 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been told it's not legal to drive a Motorhome through a tunnel with the valve on my propane tank open. Does anyone know if this is true. Does anyone know of a web site that discusses traffic laws that motorhomes must obey?

David and Jeannette
2016 Freedom Elite
2005 Rialta 22QD
No toads.

Ray,IN

IN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/02 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some NYC tunnels prohibit LPG tanks in them at all. Run a search here for "tunnels" and see what is returned, it has been discussed before. I think there's a book that identifies them too.

P.S. Look at http://www.rvsafety.com website for information too.

*This Message was edited on 05-Mar-02 08:35 PM by Ray,IN*

The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of people. Supreme Court Justice Douglas

CamToo

Pacific, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/02 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most areas have a telephone number or web page that lists those places where various restrictions are in place. Library information can usually get you these numbers.

Here in the Seattle area we have a viaduct in the downtown area that does not allow trucks over a given weight, length, and NO propane whatsoever.
People from out of town are forever being stopped and ticketed because they are unaware of this. The law, at least here, says that it is the drivers obligation to know .. and it's not a cheap date.

One final thought. Most of the RV folks we know leave the propane on to keep the refrigerator cold while traveling. BUT, while we did this, one of the RV's we had would put the flame out when we were traveling at hiway speeds. We purchased a special plate that installs inside the compartment to stop this problem. Not all motor homes have this problem and ours didn't blow out every time .. just some times. SO, watch the fridge when underway to be sure the gas IS on.

Kindest Regards,
Cam

richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/02 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In many tunnels that travel under bodies of water it is prohibited to travel with propane period. Whether it is on or not. An exception is the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel where it must be shut off at the tank valve but is allowed at least now on RV's. On many ferries this is also the case, the propane must be shut off at the tank valve if they allow it, some don't. On any road that gets federal tax dollars they MUST post any restictions prior to the last exit before the restriction is in force. I believe they must have a minimum of three signs warning of any restriction and an alternate route for those that are carrying the restricted items. The last of these will be just prior to the exit that must be used.
What the government should do is require all RV's and propane powered vehicles to have a high flow rate cutoff device on the propane tank. I believe they do require them on propane powered vehicles, but not RV's. This device cuts the flow of propane if it suddenly starts to flow at a higher rate indicative of a ruptured line. It should have been part of the same bill that required the OPD valves. I think RVIA kept that from happening and has fought any such regulation on their industry as they do with all attempts to regulate it in any way.
Other than those resticted areas, it is not illegal to drive with the propane on.

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/02 11:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Waht section of which highway is the limitation on? We go through Seattle every once in a while (I try to avoid it though) and I have never been bothered or stopped. I've never seen any signs warning about it either.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is it legal to drive a MH with the propane on?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS