|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Tank guages

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
darbyjudy

New Port Richey

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/02 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can some one tell me how to check my tank gauges, My Black water tank always shows 3/4 full even after emptying. I have tried cleaning with different solutions but nothing seems to help. It looks like little screw into a rubber plug on the side of the tank with a wire on each one. Will these screws come out and can they be cleaned?

DocH

Pottstown, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/02 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you happen to have a broken or cracked wire from that sensor at some point? This can cause the affected gauge mark to register regardless of how un/clean the sensor is.

ddj

Saint John , New Brunswick, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/02 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try adding a bag of ice cubes to a few gallons of water, take it out for a drive and the agitation should clean off the sensors.
Dan

EDucator

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/02 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my friends TT I saw some of the sealant applied around the screw that made its way onto the wire itself and affected the reading. I removed it, wirebrushed everything clean and reapplied sealant neatly. Problem fixed and he's happy.
Your case could be a different solution to the problem at hand.

ED

I'm the lucky one; my wife is the one who married the idiot!!

2002 Ram 2500HD Quadcab 4x4 - 8L V-10 - Fisher MM plow - Tekonsha Prodigy
2001 28' Hornet Reese Dual Cam

Madman

Huntington Beach, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/02 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darbyjudy,
You can buy devices which are lowered into the toilet, and sprays water along the side of the tank. You probably have a piece of toilet paper hung up on one of sensors. With these devices, you can shower down the inside walls, hopefully removing the culprit.

Danny

95 F350 4X4 CC,SRW,PSD,4:10, Built E40D,w/ Custom built torque converter, steel upgraded planets, shift kit, stall, B&M trans pan w/ 3 extra quarts of fluid, Amsoil in trans, Trucool 24K trans cooler, 4" Superlift Suspension, 16.5X9.75 Weld Super Singles w/ B.F.G 35X12.50x16.5, Isspro Digital Pyro (Pre-Turbo), Autometer Ultra-Lite Boost, and Trans gauge in triple A-pillar pod, Banks Down Pipe, Banks Big Hoss Chip, Custom Billet Grill w/ Hella Driving Lights, Rancho RS9000 w/ Double Stabilizers, Flared Fenders & Running Boards, Ported Snorkel, K&N Filter, Coolant Eye, 203*Thermostat, Line a Bed, Wood Grain Dash/Interior.

2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 7.3L PSD, 3:73
Stock For Now, But Not For Long!

2002 31G Fleetwood-Wilderness Travel Trailer
Northwest Edition, All Options,with Full
Dinette/Sofa Super Slide,T105's/Honda EU2000I

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/02 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a problem with my tank guage sensors. I tried cleaning with a factory product with no results.

I then tried the ice cube method. Sence I have access to a ice machine this is not a problem. I put a medium size ice chest full of ice down my tank. To do this I usally have to wash to ice down into the tank which files it to about 1/3. I then add a small bottle of lemon sent bleach.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/02 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got my 5er used and I had a problem with my tank guage sensors from the start. I tried cleaning with a factory product with no results.

I then tried the ice cube method. Sence I have access to a ice machine this is not a problem. I put a medium size ice chest full of ice down my tank. To do this I usally have to wash to ice down into the tank which files it to about 1/3 or. I then add a small bottle of lemon sent bleach. All this just before I pull out on a trip. when I get to first stop on the trip I dump the tank and then add my chemicls for use of the holding tank.

I've used this technique for the last two years and never had another sensor gauge problem.

"Happy Trail"
chiefneon

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/02 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, as well as probably every RVer in the world, has had, or still has the same problem. I found that there are two decent ways to remedy this, and they really do work, at least for me and others I have told about it.

For my tank treatment, I use a product called TST, available at Wal*Mart for about $5. It is a holding tank treatment that breaks down the waste, environmentally friendly, smells nice, lubes the valves, can be used in both black and gray tanks, and has a probe cleaner that really does work. It took me about the whole first bottle (about a month or so of camping) for it to fully clean the probes, but did a great job and now I can actually see what is really in my tank. Heck, my black tank showed FULL the day I pulled it off the dealers lot, brand new!

The other thing, crazy as it sounds, is this: fill your black tank about half full, then dump in about two bags of ice. Drive around for a while right afterwards before it melts. The ice banging against the probes will clean them off good as new. I've tried it and had great success with it. This would be a great thing to do initially, then with clean probes, use the TST to maintain the probes and valves. Hope this helped.

2009 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 C/C/6.0/3.73/Pullrite Super 5th.
2004 Puma 249RBS fifth-wheel bunkhouse.USAF/GULF WAR VET.

LHyzer

Bexley, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/02 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also pick up a toilet wand that sprays water under high pressure in your holding tank through your toilet. They are not expensive.

You just open the flush valve on the toilet and stick it down in the tank. Be careful though, you do not want to pull it up to far in the toilet while you are moving it around to flush the tank out. As it will spray back up on you. Not a pleasant thing to have happen.

I use on in mine about every two or three campouts. Especially if I have full hookups.

The sensor guages are not that accurate anyway.
Especially when things collect on them. They do give you a basic idea as to what the level is in the tanks when they are working.

The wand does help clean out any build up that may be accumulating at the botton of the tank as well on the sensors.

*This Message was edited on 25-Mar-02 07:37 PM by LHyzer*

2006 Itasca Meridian 36G
2004 Suzuki XL7 Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Tank guages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS